1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The closing themes of Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

I remember something that scared the crap out of me once.

It was 1999 (perhaps 1997?), and I was watching SS. So the Calypso-era closing credits played (the Dancing City one) and the CTW notice played with Big Bird saying "toodle-oo". Then the funding credits played. Rather than what I was used to during that time, the voiceover was different. It was this deep voice that sounded like Mewtwo from Pokemon The First Movie. The voice said "Funding for Sesame Street is brought to you by..." and I ran away screaming. But I did come back to watch the Discovery Zone and Spaghettios credits. After that, the CPB logo and Viewers Like You appeared and 'Mewtwo' said "Sesame Street was also brought to you by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and Viewers Like You." The PBS Kids P-Pals logo played after that (this was before Dash & Dot) and I ran away screaming again.

Did anyone else expect the 1997/1999-era funding voiceover but wind up with a voice that sounded like Mewtwo from Pokemon The First Movie?

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

What season of Sesame Street was this?

3. Luke kun

Season 29 or Season 30. After that, the voiceover never played again.

4. MikaelaMuppet

Do you have a video of it?

5. Luke kun

No.

6. MikaelaMuppet

What a shame. I was really hoping that you would have a video just so I could see Discovery Zone.

7. Luke kun

What did the funding credit for DZ look like?

8. MikaelaMuppet

I don't know because I don't have any Season 29 or Season 30 episodes.

9. Luke kun

Let's go and ask someone!

10. MikaelaMuppet

Good idea.

11. Luke kun

where shall we go

12. MikaelaMuppet

I don't know. You can ask anyone that has any Sesame Street episodes.

13. Johnmhowarth

Johnmhowarth Member

I saw the end of 3499, and it didn't have the calypso ending. Instead, it had the piano ending.

14. gbrobeck

gbrobeck Active Member

If anyone here has a membership to the Television Production Music Museum Vault (www.tvpmmvault.com), they just posted the full original closing theme. And it sounds incredible.

JLG likes this.
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Hoping that with the new season and new theme song comes a new closing theme. I actually kinda dug the chalk drawing motif of the end theme. The hip hop styling of the theme song works better as an instrumental.

16. Luke kun

How does it sound like? Do they repeat the bridge and chorus?

And BTW, get me the "Musical Box" APM from SpongeBob while you're there, if you have it, that sounds awesome, too.

17. Johnmhowarth

Johnmhowarth Member

Episode 2122 didn't have the nighttime or harmonica music at the end, instead, it has a special closing, which is saxophone music. It still has the harmonica opening.

18. Johnmhowarth

Johnmhowarth Member

Episode 2485 has the harmonica music at the beginning and special music at the end. The Count said "Sesame Street is a production of the Children's Television Workshop. Ah-ah-ah!". The special music at the end is an instrumental Latino version of the Sesame Street theme.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  19. Johnmhowarth

Johnmhowarth Member

And as for 3165 and 3186, the harmonica music still appears at the end of there.

20. I can't remember the closing credits to Season 33 (2002), were they the short ones (without the Sesame Workshop Insert at the end) or the ones from Season 32 in 2001. I know they showed it every Friday!