The closing themes of Sesame Street

gutchman

Reaction score
also, there were some SS episodes in the 80s posted by sawing14s on youtube that ended at night but still used the normal harmonica closing music instead of the sleepytime music. These episodes were 2228 and 2483, and another one he titled Placido Flamingo and Maria. So the nighttime closing theme wasn't ALWAYS heard on episodes that ended at night.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Anybody remember the bridge part that goes:

"It's a magic carpet ride
Every door will open wide to happy people like youu
What a wonderful, What a beautiful--" (Sunny days...)
Actually, that last line before the repeated verse is "Happy people like...What a wonderful..." It's a shame that kids watching Sesame Street today will never hear that part, though. Back in the 90s, the animated closing credits at least included the bridge in the instrumental theme song; now it's cut out altogether.

gutchman

Reaction score
ssetta, does episode 2404 have the nighttime music?

ssetta

Reaction score
Yes, 2404 DOES have the nighttime music. But that is true, they didn't ALWAYS use it if the episode ended at night. I think they mostly used it if someone was sleeping or tired. And there were very few occasions where it was actually used in the beginning, believe it or not. The only 2 episodes I know of like that are 2282 and 2614.

gutchman

Reaction score
also, i'm curious about the ending of SS episode 2226, where Miles first year on SS is celebrated. Does the harmonica theme play after the song "we're a family" is sung by hoots and his band, or are the episode's sponsors and CTW announcement mentioned during the "we're a family" song?

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, no, the harmonica music does not play. The sponsors and CTW notice are announced over the "We're a Family" song.

gutchman

Reaction score
wow, ssetta, you actually remember these unpaved episode endings pretty well, don't you? Do you have them taped or do you just remember them from back when unpaved SS aired on Noggin?

gutchman

Reaction score
well, ssetta, seeing that you know the endings of sesame street pretty good, can you tell me this? I'm guessing on the ending of episode 2122, the first episode about the adoption of Miles, that the episode's sponsors and CTW announcement were announced over the jazz lullaby that Hoots plays for Big Bird and Snuffy at their sleepover. Am I right?

gutchman

Reaction score
ssetta, I have a few questions about the ending on SS episode 2291. First of all, at the end, when the count telephones maria causing it to rain in her apartment, does he announce the sponsors/CTW to maria, or is someone else announcing the sponsors at the end. Also, the picture on muppet wikia that shows the SESAME STREET sign and CTW logo underneath looks like the last scene of the episode ended at night. Did this episode end at night, and which version of the closing theme was used, the harmonica version or the sleepytime version?