The complete and utter futility of being a fan of anything...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Holy crud, I thought you were joking about there being a show called The Chew. Then I Googled it. :embarrassed:
Yeah, it's basically the View only they cook and eat stuff. And I'm guessing they only came up with that because the words sounded the same.

Hey, I'd watch something called The Poo. I bet it would be appropriately named XD
Anything that comes out of ABC daytime would be The Poo. And I don't mean Winnie.

Basically trying to tie in what I was saying... you either get something slightly unsatisfactory/doesn't measure up or nothing at all. I'm no soap fan, but the complete insult that they got rid of long running soaps for the DUMBEST idea and name for a show ever is the worst slap in the face ever.... worse than Mary Sue characters added in, worse than "Best of"DVD singles instead of box sets... oh man. Terrible.

Seriously, I half expected the show to be about people discussing current events while chewing bubblegum or tobaccy!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The only 1960's ones I liked were the experimental ones Chuck Jones did based on avant guarde books. Like the Dot and the Line for example.

The ones with Speedy and Daffy are dodgy, especially strange considering those are my two favorite. I find the 90's theatrical ones, while no match at all for the classic 40's and 50's ones, a hundred times funnier than those 60's ones. I LOVE Superior Duck (or whatever that one was where Daffy was a superhero that was a prisoner of superlatives from the announcer). And I really dig some of the BIA era theatricals, especially Drone Wars. And I find all of them, EVEN the 60's one superior than some of those terrible 1930's ones. Boscoe the little UnP.C. term for African American Boy? Did anyone ever see those ones? They're awful.
I like most of the 1960s shorts, and the Bosco shorts. Though I thought The Dot and the Line was from MGM, not WB (or at least a company other than WB).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After reading this, I've wondered, what nostalgia revivals have there been that have been exactly (or close enough to exactly) like the originals, with no major changes?

Though it seems like Winnie the Pooh always has the same basic quality in almost every production. The recent Pooh movie was as good as the classic shorts, but it seems like whenever there's a new Pooh series or movie or something they don't incorporrate any new kind of technology (storytelling-wise). Welcome to Pooh Corner, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and I think Book of Pooh (which I've hardly watched) all seemed to take place in the same basic timeline. The same can probably be said for the original books. And it seems Winnie the Pooh has always been popular with kids, especially in the last few decades. After all, with the exception of Pooh's Grand Adventures, all of the Pooh movies have been released in theaters.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
*insert Sonic fandom complaint*

Yes, it seems like every fanbase (besides the Muppet one) is an Unpleaseable Fanbase. Everyone yells at the creator, nitpicks about things that don't matter in the slightest, argue over a minor opinion, make it a struggle to like the franchise, and doesn't even enjoy what they're (or were) a fan of.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Yes, it seems like every fanbase (besides the Muppet one) is an Unpleaseable Fanbase.

I beg to differ.
You were lucky to escape the maybe around here when the Muppets was released on DVD XD

But really you are going to have people in every fanbase who disagrees with something. It's inevitable.

Also I have no recollection of replying to this thread and am too lazy to go back to read what I said XP

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's not just an entertainment issue either, sports fans can't be pleased either. Every time a new star comes up and starts taking the league by storm, baseball, basketball, football, hockey, whatever, it's only a matter of time until the media starts looking to take another angle on the guy. You only get about one month of being a star before people start looking to pick you apart. Like when people complained about Bryce Harper, a player on the Washington Nationals baseball team, for being too cocky as a rookie last year. Well, he had every right to be cocky; he came up at NINETEEN and was doing great.

People always have to find something to complain about.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I'm not a true fan, YET.

Fan (noun):
any device for producing a current of air by the movement of a broad surface or a number of such surfaces.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I beg to differ.
You were lucky to escape the maybe around here when the Muppets was released on DVD XD
That was all Disney's doing, and it was definitely not exclusive to just that DVD.

In the Muppet fandom, there are those who just don't like the new stuff, be it Muppet films made after Jim's death or Sesame Street since the 90's. That's standard stuff, right there.

Then there are the fanbases that scream and whine anytime a minor, niggling change takes place, or that flat out refuses to acknowledge new stuff and condemns anyone who likes it without even watching/buying the darn thing! There are fanbases that hate EVERYTHING, no matter how hard the entertainment companies try to fix things.

Then there are the ones that are so poisonous, you can't even admit to causally liking something.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Here's how I see it, and anyone else who disagrees is free to disagree:
People have trouble explaining how things were done well. If they are good reviewers, they will try to do this anyway (and I've come across a few who will admit they're nit picking when their nit picking) so how come so many don't? Consider these observations:
  1. Everything has flaws.
  2. That's the nature of most people- to point out those flaws.
  3. Everybody has different ideas of what exactly is a flaw, leading to the conflict.
  4. Unless the fandom has made a conscious decision to respect each other's opinions, it can get ugly pretty quickly.
  5. In the cases of the poisonous fandoms you seem to be referring to, all joy is lost in bickering and fighting. Knowing all this stuff, what can we do about it?
Really, the only thing we can do is just enjoy what we enjoy. It's difficult when so many people decide to be negative, but most people are fans of things because they like them. It's natural to want more or to dislike change, but in the end, the only person you really control is yourself.
Personally, I avoid negative fandoms, or if a fandom is large enough, focus on the aspects of it that make me happy. I don't let arguments about this kind of stuff get me down; I tried to discuss it mainly with people who have respected my opinions in the past. And I make a decision to try to respect people's theories even if they differ from mine.
The arguing about all the pairings in some fandoms (I think someone further up uses Sonic as an example) actually helps me write more well rounded fan fiction, and if there's something that I'm legitimately uncomfortable with, I just ignore it. Although it's a pain when you run across that.
There's good things and bad things about being a fan, but it's your choice which you focus on. I'm a natural optimist, but you still have to practice it.
(and I'm using "you" in a general sense here.)
Animaniacs made a sketch about extreme fandom.