1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

Dismiss Notice
  3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

The Doctor Who Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeppoAndFriends, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  2. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

3. ZeppoAndFriends

Jodie was on The Late Show last night.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

What???? How did I miss this?!

5. ZeppoAndFriends

You weren't watching CBS at midnight?

6. ZeppoAndFriends

There's also this:

Froggy Fool likes this.
  7. Froggy Fool

THIS IS SO ADORABLE I LOVE JODIE SO MUCCHHH!!!

8. ZeppoAndFriends

Okay, I've finally gotten to watch the premiere. And right now my only real thought is, "Oh, that's why the Sonic looks like that."

Pig's Laundry and Froggy Fool like this.
  9. Froggy Fool

Yeah, I kind of figured 13 got her sonic in a different way than her predecessors. But anyway...

I really, really enjoyed The Woman Who Fell To Earth! Was it the best episode ever? No. But was it still enjoyable? Absolutely. It really feels like the breath of fresh air that the series needs... and I can't wait to see what Chibnall does with the rest of the series!

First of all, the episode looked absolutely gorgeous. I love the new cinematic look/the new cameras they are using for the show. There was also some awesome direction from Jamie Childs... many scenes just took my breath away. Also, I am LOVING the new music by Segun Akinola. As a fan of Classic Who music and synth in general, the score felt completely fresh and atmospheric, without the (sometimes) very loud and bombastic sounds of Murray Gold. (And I'm not complaining about Murray Gold - I think his music is fantastic, it's just I love the new style as well!)

The new companions seem very fascinating, I'm particularly intrigued by Ryan and Graham's relationship - can't wait to see where they go with that. Yaz felt a bit... I don't know... I think we didn't get to see her character's true potential as the episode focused more on the other companions.
    I honestly wish Grace hadn't died!! That was definitely a surprise... I'm kind of sad we won't (presumably) get to see anymore of her character. :(

Speaking of deaths, this episode was actually quite dark! Like, not on the scale of Resurrection of the Daleks... but still, there were many casualties.

Jodie was pretty frickin' awesome, I'll say that. The second she
    crashed into the train and the Doctor Who theme started playing
    I thought "Yes, this is the Doctor!" I sorta wished that we got to see more of her quirks though. Idk, she kind of felt like a mash-up of 9, 10, & 11 and didn't have something very distinct about her Doctor. I have a feeling that next episode will deal with that though.

Probably the best part of the whole episode imo was the showdown between 13 and the villain of the story,
    Tim Shaw.
    Jodie delivered an awesome speech that really emulated the core aspects of the Doctor's beliefs.

Overall, a solid episode and WOW what a great cliffhanger. Can't wait for next week's.

PS. WHY WASN'T KARL A COMPANION?????!!!! KARL SHOULD'VE BEEN A COMPANION!!!!! CHIBNALL BETTER MAKE KARL A COMPANION NEXT SERIES OR SOMETHING....!

10. Angela Mae

Angela Mae Member

I wish Big Finish Productions could do something with the universe of the 1960s Peter Cushing Dalek films.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  11. ZeppoAndFriends

That would definitely be an interesting side series.

12. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yes! Especially that shot at the beginning with Ryan, Graham, and Grace sitting on the hill. That was amazing.
    Same! I definitely thought we would be seeing more of them, they were probably one of the best characters in the episode.
    And yeah, it wasn't just the amount of death in the episode, but the way they died. Like, wow, that was surprisingly dark for this show. I mean, complete with that snapping noise when the monster did that one thing. But, I kind of loved it, lol. The villain of the episode was delightfully disturbing. It felt somewhat like something from Torchwood. Actually, this might seem obvious given who the writer is but the tone of the whole episode felt a bit like a cross between Torchwood and Broadchurch, which I am totally on board with.
    Yes! I love Karl! I imagine he's probably just designed to be a one shot character, but i'd like it if he at least got a recurring role.

One thing I love about this episode is how Chibnall makes you feel for each character that dies. Which is not something that happens too often in the show. Most of the time the characters who die are nameless extras who are just there to scream and get killed. But, in this episode, he gave everyone a life and a family, distinctive traits. Even that one guy who worked at the crane place and was only on screen for about 10 seconds, we know that he's a grandpa, which makes it all the more depressing when he dies.
    I also agree that The Doctor didn't seem quite as distinctive as the previous ones, but that might've been a deliberate choice by the writer to show that she's still the same person. But I do hope we'll start to see more of her quirks as the season (series?) goes on.
    I agree, Ryan and Graham were interesting, and I guess they have the benefit of already knowing each other very well. Yaz, yeah, she seemed promising in her first scene, so that's always good, but she didn't have much to do after that. But, again, hopefully the next episode we'll get to know her a little better.

Overall, my original rating for the episode was 7/10, but after a rewatch I give it an 8.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  13. Angela Mae

Angela Mae Member

We need more TARDIS wardrobe scenes and the fact that in the Classic serues the Doctor had a skimpy Tahitian hula skirt outfit (Romana I finds it) makes you wonder where he got that and whom he intended to have wear it!