The Doctor Who Thread

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I've still yet to see Touchwood after all these years. I've heard that it's either really good or really bad.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
-------------
Seriously? I thought McGann had that title hands down. *shrug* No accounting for taste...

Have begun watching Torchwood. A bit silly, and very Doctor-Who-meets-X-Files, but fun. And hey, Cap'n Jack. Gotta love Jack!

-------------
I'm just going by what the fan poll said. I still prefer Tom and Sylve, but I certainly agree, Six is a lot better in the Audio Dramas than on the show.

Haven't seen any of Torchwood, yet. I could never figure out who was airing it and when.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
I never bother with the tv. A friend loaned me the first series, with the second on the way within a month. Prefer catching up on boxed sets anyway! Yeah, there's been some rancidly silly stuff but also some genuinely dramatic moments, and I love a good monster thriller, which most of them are. It's Doctor Who, but slightly darker and more adult, basically. Worth a look. I've heard the Sarah Jane Adventures are fun, if more kid-aimed, but haven't had the chance to see for myself yet.

--------------

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Eh, I prefer seeing at least a few episodes of a show before committing to getting the box sets.

I saw a few episodes of Sarah Jane on SciFi. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about it, apart from the fact that I liked it. I've been on the lookout for the boxed sets of that for a while, but I haven't found them yet.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
-------------
I never bother with the tv. A friend loaned me the first series, with the second on the way within a month. Prefer catching up on boxed sets anyway! Yeah, there's been some rancidly silly stuff but also some genuinely dramatic moments, and I love a good monster thriller, which most of them are. It's Doctor Who, but slightly darker and more adult, basically. Worth a look. I've heard the Sarah Jane Adventures are fun, if more kid-aimed, but haven't had the chance to see for myself yet.

--------------
Ehhhh, having watched the show on CBBC, it's okay for what it is. There are some good and bad episodes and the characters are likeable but it does fall into 'corny' quite a lot.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I really love the Sarah Jane Adventures, in fact as the Dr Who series progressed, I began to love the SJA series as much or more than actual Who. The storylines were simplistic and the characters often repetitive, but there was a real FUN angle, and the fact it was all set on Earth and in relatable day-to-day circumstances made it, for me, better than the later Who which almost never pops into present-day or uses every day life as a plot point.

I was really sad when Sarah's actress passed away...and I miss the series itself a great deal.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------
Yeah, the "no big deal" angle has always been much better than how much of American TV deals with gender issues, which is almost always either stereotyping (Carson Kressly, anyone? gahh) or sappy-drama (AIDS death! oh noes!).

I'll admit the constant Jack-will-seduce-anything-with-a-pulse jokes crack me up, though. Recently re-watched every modern Who ep dealing with Jack or Torchwood (one of my housemates, not a Who fan, has become hooked on Torchwood so I showed her the other side of the series, basically) and the running gag just grew funnier to me every single time. "Hi. Captain Jack Harkness." "STOP it..."
------------

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I would be...if tumblr didn't crash the internet on my computer.
This should help a bit better :wink: ;

"Something I always appreciated about Doctor Who was the fact that they had a few gay and lesbian characters, even if most where quite minor. When I was a kid, I didn’t know what to think of different sexualities because it was so alien to me, perhaps like everyone else who first found out about it. But the way everyone on the show didn’t seem to mind or react negatively to them kinda taught me that it really doesn’t matter. Some people fall in love with those of the same gender (or different species, in this case) and that’s that. In fact, most of the time (I say most because of Captain Jack) it’s just, “Oh, we’re two old ladies who are married” and them they move on like it was nothing. I like that.

Also with any other TV show, a gay character must always announce their sexuality and must be super flamboyant/dyke (though, admittedly, I do know a couple of people like that). Here, they just act like you and me. Stereotyping? What’s that?

Finally, keep in mind Doctor Who strongly appeals to kids so perhaps a bunch of children of my generation learned what I learned. And the show still goes strongly today so maybe today kids will do so too."

From The Green Glasses tumblr by iamallybee