The first thing you ever remember seeing on Sesame

Beauregard

Reaction score
The first thing I remeber was "Somebody Come and Play" with the two snow-leapords.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Henson voiced brown Grover? I thought he was always voiced by Frank Oz and it was just his appearance that changed.
Your right Daffyfan. It is Frank Oz. Not Jim.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
now let's not get so snotty. they're only going by what they recall. i do remember some of that stuff. the SS special i don't remember or even saw. i heard about some of the TEC cast visiting SS and while i only recall the last 2 seasons of that show i did see some of the SS muppets visiting TEC. maybe you could share what you remember about that including the 1976 SS special. never heard about it till now. also did you read my posting about everyone going to New Mexico?

No I didn't see your posting about everyone going to New Mexico.

ceecee

Reaction score
It's so hard to pinpoint, but things that stick out for me are "The Song of _", especially with the baker falling down the stairs. I only remember that being on when I was VERY little.

I also remember from way back the old closing credits with Barkley and the kids.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Your right Daffyfan. It is Frank Oz. Not Jim.
Listen, I know Frank performed Brown Grover quite a bit, but I'll swear on a stack of bibles Jim performed him this time. During the first season, when most of the monsters didn't have distinct personalities yet, there was quite a lot of mix-and-matching going on.

Case-in-point, there was a skit with six monsters lined up along the brick wall
whispering "C" to each other. Cookie Monster was there, but instead of Frank, Carroll Spinney voiced him.

There's evidence in either the Sesame Street Unpaved book, or Jim Henson: The Works that when Frank and Jim performed Bert and Ernie for the first time, Jim was Bert and Frank was Ernie, until they realized they were more comfortable switching roles.

In the song Up and Down, Jim performed the prototype Herry Monster puppet, which was later inherited by Jerry Nelson.

So it's not beyond the realm of possiblity Jim could've been Brown Grover, if only for one skit, before passing it on to someone else.

I think I missed my calling. I should've been a lawyer. Or maybe not. :smile:

SCOOTER_101

Reaction score
I seem to remember the Brown Grover with a Jim Hensonish Voice once too. It's similar to how Fat Blue was performed by Jim a lot back in the show's early days, before Fat Blue became a full time character.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Listen, I know Frank performed Brown Grover quite a bit, but I'll swear on a stack of bibles Jim performed him this time. During the first season, when most of the monsters didn't have distinct personalities yet, there was quite a lot of mix-and-matching going on.

whispering "C" to each other. Cookie Monster was there, but instead of Frank, Carroll Spinney voiced him.

There's evidence in either the Sesame Street Unpaved book, or Jim Henson: The Works that when Frank and Jim performed Bert and Ernie for the first time, Jim was Bert and Frank was Ernie, until they realized they were more comfortable switching roles.

In the song Up and Down, Jim performed the prototype Herry Monster puppet, which was later inherited by Jerry Nelson.

So it's not beyond the realm of possiblity Jim could've been Brown Grover, if only for one skit, before passing it on to someone else.

Brown Grover was named "Fuzzy Face" - a nickname or moniker that Kermit gave him in the 1969 sketch about over, in, next to, and beneath. You can refer to, I believe, the 4th 1969 show from UNPAVED. And that time, he was Frank Oz.

BTW, how did you know that Jim Henson's role in UP AND DOWN was a prototype Herry? Was there ever a sketch with that song on the show?

Censored

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Brown Grover was named "Fuzzy Face" - a nickname or moniker that Kermit gave him in the 1969 sketch about over, in, next to, and beneath. You can refer to, I believe, the 4th 1969 show from UNPAVED. And that time, he was Frank Oz.

BTW, how did you know that Jim Henson's role in UP AND DOWN was a prototype Herry? Was there ever a sketch with that song on the show?
Yes, the song "Up and Down" was a musical skit with Cookie and Herry on the show, as well as a song on Sesame Street 1. Interesting to hear the early Herry called a "prototype". Herry did look very different early on. His nose was blue and furry like the rest of him and when he faced the camera, it looked like he had no nose at all. The Up and Down skit was actually redone years later in the 90's. This time Cookie and Herry (modern versions of course) were in the park instead of behind a brick wall and the lyrics were slightly different.

Also, in the first Up and Down skit, Herry actually calls Cookie "Fuzzy Face". Kermit referred to brown Grover as "The Fuzzy One" or something like that.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:

since all of the 1969 SSU epsidoes and Jim doing Ernie and Frank doing Bert, including the premiere episode, i wonder if it was in the test shows where they performed the different muppets?

Xerus

Reaction score
Sesame Street was the very first show I ever watched as a kid. But I think my first memory of it was the cartoon where the elephant and the mouse exchanged body parts and became each other. The new mouse was scared of elephants and made stomping sounds. And the new elephant squeezed its huge body through a tiny mousehole.