1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Glorified Sock Puppet Contest!

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by bezalel, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bezalel

bezalel New Member

Hey BorkBork. Tomorrow is fine. In fact, we've had several requests to extend the deadline. What are the thoughts here on the forum? To extend or not to extend? It does seem like the entry deadline came up fast.
  2. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

I'd be very happy if the deadline was extended a day or two. I have the puppet ready but i feel that i need some work on charachter features. However those who have submitted already might feel upset because they had to rush it (?)
  3. video567

video567 New Member

mine is already turned in but i have no objections to have it extended.
  4. sleepylagoon

sleepylagoon New Member

Sooooo is the deadline extended?

Sooooo is the deadline extended?:confused:
  5. whatadoddle

whatadoddle New Member

Hello, I have just submited my entry, but I would have liked some more time, I guess a deadline is a deadline!
  6. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Wouldn't it be great if lambchop was around to host it?
  7. dsarver

dsarver New Member

I could use a few extra days. How about it?
  8. bezalel

bezalel New Member

Well, here's the deal. We'd like to extend the deadline, but we also want to be fair to those who submitted their entries by the initial deadline. I think the only way to do both is to extend the deadline by one week - a sufficient amount of time for any new entries. To be fair, those that have already submitted their entries but would like to do some refining or add some final touches to their characters, may do so during the week and resubmit updated pictures of their puppet. That will offer those who met the entry deadline the opportunity to tweak their characters, and also allow those that missed the deadline an opportunity to be in the contest.

So, one week - June 4, 2006 is the new deadline. We have already received well over ten entries. So after the new deadline, all entries will be going to our five judges, for the top ten to be chosen.

The entries we have received so far have been fantastic! Very creative characters, and beautiful work.
  9. dsarver

dsarver New Member

:excited: THANK YOU!! :cool:
  10. bezalel

bezalel New Member

Four days left! :crazy:
  11. whatadoddle

whatadoddle New Member

I am working on some finishing touches, in my new puppet cabin! I have already sent one lot of pics in, will get my daughter to take some more when my puppet is finished, thanks for the extra work time; if only life were like that!!
  12. intozlight

intozlight New Member

I was a little dissappointed that you extended the deadline. With the holiday weekend, I did not find out until today. But, more importantly would have waited for the puppet fleece to make the puppet if the deadline had been the 4th all along.
    But I understand your desire to accomodate everyone.

Best of luck to all who entered.

bezalel New Member

Hi intozlight. We really deliberated over whether or not to extend the deadline, in the interest of being fair. And I certainly don't want you to feel disappointed. Most of the feedback we have receive has been in favor of the extension. We think limiting the extension to one week, as compared to a longer period of time, will keep it fair for everyone.

Besides that, I think your entry is great. I know that the fact that you didn't get a chance to use antron fleece will not hurt your entry in any way. Most of the entries have used other materials - polar fleece, furry fleece, fur, etc. One even used the material from a velour blanket. The use of antron fleece will definitely not be a deciding factor for the judges.
  14. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

re: Antron Fleece

This just made me thought of a quote from Ravagefrackle from the interview Sean has been running in his Puppet 101 blog:

...don’t be afraid to look at different materials - experiment. I know a lot of people like to build the “Muppet” style puppet, and they want to use the same stuff they do, but pro puppet shops are always looking at new materials and new methods. It’s important to be able to improvise. You would be surprise what using something other than fleece can do to a puppet. It can make it really stand out on its own.
  15. intozlight

intozlight New Member

Thanks guys for the kind words. It was fun making the character regardless and I know he will be a wonderful addition to our troupe. Also, I am working on comic strip to introduce him to our kids. I will post once it (and the contest) are finished.
    And yes, I do experiment with materials - you outta see my back room lol. Just for future incarnations of this puppet I will use fleece to hide the seams because it works well for him.

Keep up the good work all.

BorkBork New Member

Almost there...when will the judgeing begin?
  17. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

When will the finalists be revealed?
  18. bezalel

bezalel New Member

Hey BorkBork. I know, we're getting anxious over here too. We've heard back from some of the judges, but not all of them yet. As soon as the results come in from all the judges we will post the ten finalists. We're all set to go on that part so as soon as the verdict is in, the top ten will be posted!
  19. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

You could always reveal which ones haven't turned in their votes yet and we could bombard them with e-mail inquiries :halo:

..... but then, that might affect who they choose (or not choose) for the top ten finalist too. :eek:

-Michele
  20. puppetise

puppetise Member

cant wait i was one of the first people to submit and its taking so long