The Great Golden Girls War

Gonzo

Reaction score
Running gags about incontinence, hot flashes and cheesecake do not classic comedy make.

The 80's. :rolleyes:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
Running gags about incontinence, hot flashes and cheesecake do not classic comedy make.

The 80's. :rolleyes:
Oh, but running gags about Harry Krishna, breaking light bulbs, and colored hands do?

:rolleyes:

Yes, they do.

And "The Golden Girls" is SOOOOOOOOO much more than that. In fact, there aren't many "running gags" about incontinence or hot flashes, and there are never any "gags" about cheesecake, it's just a quintessential element of the show.

I'm sorry Quinn (since you're my friend), but you are wrong. If "The Golden Girls" wasn't classic comedy, it wouldn't be as universally-loved (except for you few weird people) as it is.

And always will be.

:cool:

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
*runs into the room*

Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap!

*stops infront of Matt*

Hello sir, nothing to report.

*slowly walks away until he's out of the room, then starts running again*

Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap!...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Bother, move will you, I can't see what's going on.

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Y'know, Byron, I've been reading all your arguments and while they're all super, it still doesn't change the fact that I (and the rest of the UF, probably) don't want to watch a show about a bunch of boring old biddies! Do you really think we care if they all won an Emmy? What does that mean, other than a bunch of other boring old biddies liked them.

And I really don't see how anyone over the age of 12 (or under the age of 65) could find this stuff funny. I put their humour on par with Rosie O'Donnel... and no one finds her funny.

^_^ Debo

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Negative Matt, i used all the Rolaids in the last batch of Pez Punch I made for you guys for dinner...before i was depremoted....:sympathy:

Well, i don't want to upset anyone, but i hope everyone takes it in another way in which it has nothing to do with the real war going on,or any other war that has happend in the past. I mean would it be wrong for a child to play with GI Joes now? i heard on the news a lot of Army soldier toys have been selling lately. I don't belive we are doing the same thing here at MC,
it's just the fact of comader and troops in general and for the honest friendly fight about a tv show about 4 VERY funny old ladies:smile:

Oh, right, i'll do my push-ups now...:sympathy:

boy it's amazing how the rowlf smiley can be used this way being that i'm Zack)Rowlf the, ever so not populer,Dog.:stick_out_tongue:

Zack)Rowlf the,We should all bow down to Sarah,Dog.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Boober_Baby
Y'know, Byron, I've been reading all your arguments and while they're all super, it still doesn't change the fact that I (and the rest of the UF, probably) don't want to watch a show about a bunch of boring old biddies! Do you really think we care if they all won an Emmy? What does that mean, other than a bunch of other boring old biddies liked them.

And I really don't see how anyone over the age of 12 (or under the age of 65) could find this stuff funny. I put their humour on par with Rosie O'Donnel... and no one finds her funny.
*sigh*

I think it's interesting that if somebody doesn't like a show or a person, they automatically try to pretend the successes and awards they've won are trivial li'l fluffs.

:rolleyes:

Again, another weak argument from the opposition (and besides, you said you could "take 'em or leave 'em", not a true oppositionist).

First, they're not "boring". If they were, they never would have attained classic sitcom status, had 7 successful years on the air, and won all the Emmys they did---which, by the way, doesn't mean "other boring old biddies" liked them, but that the industry recognized the genuine comedy and success of the show, and how it reached America.

As for you not seein' how anyone over the age of 12 could find them funny, allow me to quote Betty White herself:

"What came as a surprise to all concerned was the way Golden Girls cut across all the demographic lines. Over half of our mail came from kids, but the twenty-, thirty-, and forty-something and beyond were well represented. It tickled me whenever some very small person, tugging at mother's sleeve, would point and say, 'There's Wose!' Too young to pronounce it, they still knew the character---all the characters. Ruesy always said that the ones who approached her were much taller, and their voices were deeper.

How was our show able to reach all the age groups? Perhaps because we weren't specifically aiming at any one of them, but mainly, I think, because we were truly funny."

---"Here We Go Again, My Life in Television", Betty White, 1995

And funny they certainly were.