1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The "I Saw Something REALLY Weird Today" Thread

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by Vic Romano, Aug 17, 2008.

1. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

I know it's not. It's just a joke on the internet where people call it that.

2. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

It's a joke

3. Flaky Pudding

iCarly is by far the best anime lol

muppetgem likes this.
  4. Flaky Pudding

This isn't something I saw necessarily, but I had a super weird but also realistic dream last night. I had a dream that I was watching the extremely gory, inappropriate Flash animated video, The Richard Kiel Experience in front of my mom. If you haven't heard of the video I'm referring to, it's a part of the Animutation genre (a series of weird music videos featuring pop culture images). The video was one of the first Animutations that relied on shock and horror rather than comedy. It was also the only Animutation I've seen so far that really grossed me out and disturbed me to no end (I hated this video already, so this extremely awkward dream didn't help). But anyway, in my dream my mom was sitting next to me while I viewed this horrific cartoon and she was cringing really bad and acting just as shocked as I was. But here's the super weird thing:The video in the dream was almost exactly, frame by frame, the actually video. I know that sounds really surreal and gives off an almost creepypasta vibe but it's true. I even looked up the video out of pure disbelief after I had the dream to make sure I'm not going crazy or something and sure enough, the one in my dream was almost an exact replica of the video itself. This has happened in my dreams before with videos/songs I've seen/heard over and over again but here's the difference:I only saw this clip one time. How something I saw one time and didn't like could somehow leak into my subconscious and appear in a dream like that is beyond me. Also, I don't suggest you look the clip up. It's really disturbing and let me put it this way:If a Happy Tree Friends fanatic such as myself can get disturbed by a cartoon, it must be bad. I am in no way recommending this short to anyone and unless you are a super huge horror fanatic, it'd be best to stay away from this video (but maybe it's just me because I'm generally not a fan of scary stuff. Despite the constant parodies/references to the horror genre in HTF and Robot Chicken, they are both intended to be humorous. I am in no way a horror fan so maybe it's simply because I'm used to watching mostly just comedy and sci-fi/superhero stuff and the clip caught me off guard for that reason)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I know. :p

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  6. Flaky Pudding

Also, for those who are wondering what the heck those Animutation things I'm always talking about are. I found a link to a much more appropriate one. This video is majority SFW despite some mild PG-level cartoon violence and Hitler-related jokes (they even called "the bad place" Heck, so I'm assuming that whoever made this one was aiming for family friendly). This one is honestly one of my main inspirations, my videos may not be the same if I hadn't been exposed to this brilliant work of art at a young age
    Seizure warning:Although the video is clean content wise, there is some flashing lights and colors which may be dangerous to people who are prone to seizures. The majority of Animutations are quite colorful and flashy, so maybe it'd be best to stay away from most of them all together if you have epilepsy or similar medical conditions. I'm not trying to promote my work, but I would just like to note that the Animutations made by me and another YouTuber by the name of CartoonFan2000 are completely free of all flashy, colorful, and otherwise dangerous stuff. We deliberately try to keep seizure-ish things out of it as a whole, keeping them more accessable to the general audience (some of my old ones may have brief moments of this but they are very tame compared to the rest of the genre). Btw, I would also like to point out that when it comes to content the worst you will find in our videos is animated blood and occasional PG-level swearing (nothing too over the top like what some Animutators produce)
    http://www.animutationportal.com/view/140

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I used to wonder what it would be like to have a wiki for my original work, little knowing that apparently pages for Steve have been created on various different wikis across the internet (and it really feels surreal):

http://characters.wikia.com/wiki/Steve_D'_Monster
    http://musicvideo.wikia.com/wiki/Steve_D'_Monster
    http://halloweenspecials.wikia.com/wiki/Steve_D'_Monster

And no, I had absolutely nothing to do with these pages - I never even knew these wikis existed. I'm curious as to who made these pages, and why they space the apostrophe and the M.

8. D'Snowth

It looks like it's snowing outside, but at 88 degrees in September, certainly not. It's apparently a giant swarm of fluffy white bugs flying around. Never saw anything like this before.

muppetgem likes this.
  9. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Huh.... Guess people are quick to judge and assume Steve is a character originally appearing on Sesame Street.

10. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Well, I think it's because Steve's design is based on an old background character from SST. Still though, they're not the same character, and it's really weird that they write the article as if Joe's videos have anything to do with Sesame Workshop.

11. D'Snowth

In all honesty, when I first built Steve in 2004, it was pretty much just purely so I could have a puppet to practice with, I wasn't intending to actually turn him into an original character or anything like that. Around the same time, however, I heard the usual puppeteer our PBS has for pledge drives was unavailable, so I volunteered to substitute, but I needed a puppet, so I used Steve, because I figured I could "get away" with it - it's not as if I was stealing a major character like Grover (even though somebody's posted a series of high school PSAs with a Grover puppet on YouTube) . . . and apparently Steve became popular enough that I got the gig a couple of more times (even though our other puppeteer returned by then), and it just grew from there - in fact, it was one of the PBS guys who came up with the idea of making Steve the little casanova wannabe that he is.

I ordinarily wouldn't do this, and in fact, something similar happened quite coincidently a year later: I was designing a tree frog puppet, but then there was a puppet show that came on TV with a tree frog character that looked very, very similar, so my tree frog character never went beyond sketch phase. But Steve aside, I would just like to state for the record that all my other characters are 100% original - I don't even go for a Muppet look like I originally did with Steve, I just design characters how I would design them myself. My only other character that borrows from other character designs is Easter Egg because she was a blatant jab at how Jeanette from the Chipmunks and Irma from Ninja Turtles are virtually the same design.

12. LittleJerry92

I know Steve's an original character. I think people are just quick to judge cause he physically looks like one of the members of the Frazzletones, as well as the recurring every now and then lavender monster with yellow horns prior to that.

It's like the equivalent of fans assuming just because a clip isn't available for public viewing yet, we'll likely never see it again.

13. D'Snowth

To be fair, nobody's really taken me to task for pretty much ripping off the design or anything - or, at the very least, I've never gotten any kind of negative remarks or anything about it.

14. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

I always thought Steve was mostly based on the lavender Frazzletone since they look so similar. Were you actually a fan of the group or song when you first created Steve, or was it a different inspiration?

15. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

On Nicktoons Network, SpongeBob is rated TV-Y. I find that weird because the TV-Y rating is usually given to shows meant for younger kids, and SpongeBob is definitely not a TV-Y show.

Rocko's Modern Life on The Splat has the same rating, for some odd reason. With all the innuendos and adult jokes it has, it's totally NOT for young kids.

I think both shows should be given TV-Y7 ratings instead.

16. LittleJerry92

The splat gives everything TV-G or TV-PG. I blame overprotective parents if anything.

17. LittleJerry92

Oh..... Nicktoons network.

Eh...... My fault.

18. D'Snowth

It was a case of like what led to Elmo becoming a major character: for some reason, I just liked the look of the lavender monster; at the same time, I know Jim encouraged his performers to play around with the puppets to see if they can get anything out of them, like Whitmire did with a rat puppet which lead to the creation of Rizzo. I kinda felt like this monster had potential to be a character.

19. LittleJerry92

Maybe it's just a coincidence that he looks like the lavender Frazzletone.

Like how Little Jerry and the Monotones ended up looking like just like a group of recurring hippies from the first season. Or how a recurring season 6 monster looks like a Frackle. Or how Frazzle ended up looking like a properly built Fenwick.

20. D'Snowth

Alright, we'll just go with that then.

However, Frazzle and Fenwick look nothing alike:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

:p :p :p :p