The "It's A Great Time To Be A Muppet Fan" Thread - No Pessimism Allowed!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This has to be the best thing ever!!!
Yup, yup it is (well, one of the best things ever).

Watching and listening, was that Matt Vogel playing Droop and the green scrabby frackle or whatever he's called? The frackle sounds a bit like Vogel's Uncle Deadley to me, though I feel I hear hints of Whitmire in the voice. And I would expect Vogel to have performed Droop.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
But yeah, I mean, when was the last time Scooter appeared on something not a Muppet production? And spoke?

EDIT: OK, fine, it was 2009, but still...
Wait, what was that 2009 Scooter appearance you speak of?

Also, he was on Saturday Night Live in 2011, and he spoke a line about how the Muppets were on the show the first season.

I wonder if maybe the comic books inspired/encouraged Disney to have more minor/obscure characters rebuilt. The comic books featured many obscure characters, and Muppet Snow White even had a few obscures as main characters.

Hubert

Reaction score
Wait, what was that 2009 Scooter appearance you speak of?

Also, he was on Saturday Night Live in 2011, and he spoke a line about how the Muppets were on the show the first season.
The 2009 appearance that I speak of was on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, when the Muppets sang the "12 Days of Christmas"

But, I guess you're right with the 2011 appearance. Still, he is BY HIMSELF in the 2012 appearance. When was the last time he was BY HIMSELF?

BY HIMSELF!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi-ho. Because I believe it has to be said, I'm posting in this thread.

The spirit of this thread is to promote positivism amongst "ALL" Muppet fans and Muppet Central as a community at large.
It's not that this thread is excluding people or members because of differing viewpoints, we have a myriad of threads for other debates on the thousands of topics. If you feel the need to do so, then start a new thread starting a conversation on that point.
So keep the good memories and excitement over new news coming. Hope this helps put an end to the misconceptions surrounding this little segment of the forums. :jim:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Still, he is BY HIMSELF in the 2012 appearance. When was the last time he was BY HIMSELF?

BY HIMSELF!
Yeah that's what's pretty amazing; I honestly wasn't expecting that. I think the last time Scooter truly got this much attention was when he co-hosted The Tonight Show with Kermit. So yeah, the TED appearance is a very welcome idea. :wink: :smile:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
YeeeeeS! LOVE this thread :excited: - like MANY (jamie, prawnie and a few other MCer's) I'm in the same boat. Kinda sick of pessimism (a few whiny people on here "barking" about blu ray's, GIMME A BREAK!, and the "oooh not enuff muppet stuff!??!") and ready to drop out of here if it comes to that too! - But im sooooo GLAD the Muppets have another movie in the works at Disney! :wisdom: The Muppets are slowly becoming a mainstream thing like Mickey Mouse, Pooh, Cars, Princess and Tinkerbell for disney in stores (example like my thread of a Muppet kids shirt at a regular store and NOT a mall or target, etc.)

:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah that's what's pretty amazing; I honestly wasn't expecting that. I think the last time Scooter truly got this much attention was when he co-hosted The Tonight Show with Kermit. So yeah, the TED appearance is a very welcome idea. :wink: :smile:
Scooter co-hosted The Tonight Show with kermit? I had no idea.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Scooter co-hosted The Tonight Show with kermit? I had no idea.
Yeah I talked about it on the RHLC a few years ago:

One of the best parts, Leo Sayer does his musical number, and then goes to sit down with Kermit and Scooter. Scooter says to Kermit, "Oh, another young person!" (Apparently they felt the need to explain why Scooter was in this particular segment, lol).

Kermit says "Oh yes, Leo, you remember Scooter."

Leo: Oh yeah, I remember all these guys from The Muppet Show! Scooter and I spent the whole time doing Cockey Rhyming slang, didn't we?

Scooter: You better believe it! Cherry hog, that's dog! Bowl of chalk, that's a walk!

Leo explains the concept of Rhyming slang and then does the following exchange with Scooter. The way the conversation goes, it feels to me that it's more Leo and the puppeteer beneath Scooter that are doing the remembering.

Leo: So for instance, I'd say to Scooter, "I love the Irish!"

Scooter: Oh, Irish jig that's...that's a wig! But wait, wait...

Leo: But then he'll say back to me...

Scooter: That's my barnet fair, that's my hair!

Scooter then briefly discusses the strange sandwiches to be found in England, "jelly dales...yuch!" Lol

Leo discusses the different words Americans and the English have for things, like they could rewrite that old song, "You say astro turf, and I say plastic grass!"

Scooter replies, "That's right, that's right!

Kermit asks Leo how he likes living in America and he says he actually only lives in America half the year. Scooter tries to imitate Leo's pronounciation of "half" and says to Kermit, "it doesn't sound right does it?" They end up saying Leo spends "half (American accent) the time here and half (English) there!"

Leo recalls getting blown up on The Muppet Show. Scooter intejects, "Yeah, falling down...sorry about that..." (very cute lol).

Kermit asks Leo what it's like to have millions of girls chasing him. Scooter hungrily replies, "Oh yeah I'd like that!"

They discuss what to do about chasing girls and Scooter comes up with his jem, "I put a bag that a blender came in over my head!" (This got a big laugh from the audience lol)

Kermit: For what?

Scooter: To hide from the girls!

Kermit: What girls?

Scooter: Uh...the ones that don't chase me...

Kermit: Yeah... (Lol)

Leo asks Kermit about his relationship with Piggy, to which Scooter helpfully comments, "Oh Kermit and Piggy are getting married ya know!" Kermit is horrified, but the crowd goes crazy!

Leo: Oh great! It's really takes bravey to announce it on TV like this, Kermit!

Scooter: It sure does!

Kermit: ::whimpers:: (Lol)

It was funny, the three of them just kept talking, almost like the audience wasn't there, lol. Eventually you felt like saying to Jim and Richard, "Just put the puppets down and let us see you!" But of course we weren't that lucky, lol.

Finally Leo gets up to sing a truly lovely rendition of "When I Need You" with Miss Piggy. Of course they eventually change the words to "When I Need Moi" which is priceless, lol. Leo Sayer's songs are great and he came across very young and energetic and likeable when talking with the Muppets. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That sounds like a good appearance. But I can think of a better later appearance of Scooter: When he and Kermit presented the academy award for best animated short. Not quite sure when it happened, but I know it was in the 1980s.

And the Children's Songs and Stories with the Muppets VHS also has a heavy amount of Scooter.