'The Jim Henson Hour' Guide Returns

jediX

Reaction score
I figured I'd pop in to update anyone who is interested on the progress of the JHH guide that I started several years back on tvtome...

Though I have not added any more guides (still only at four complete, two of which I intend to expand), the site format is more or less complete right now and I'll begin researching/adding to the guide on a regular basis -- so long as my schedule permits me and if there is sufficient demand. Remember: this is still only version 1.0, and I have several other things I plan on adding other than just the usual run-of-the-mill episode plot summations.

http://mhohnstein.tripod.com/muppets

I'll probably just use that URL right now unless I get a separate site for it (if traffic gets a bit high).

Feel free to post/contact me with requests for what to include (though I will NOT put up or distribute multimedia[pics/video/mp3s/vhs/dvd]) .

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Nice, but you might want to change "Fran's" name to "Fern".

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
The following characters' names have to be changed into something else:

The Monster Telethon Host should be changed to the Host Monster.

As for Mr. and Mrs. Goldfarb, they should be changed to the Soap Opera Wife and Husband.

jediX

Reaction score
TotallySpiesFan said:
The following characters' names have to be changed into something else:

The Monster Telethon Host should be changed to the Host Monster.

As for Mr. and Mrs. Goldfarb, they should be changed to the Soap Opera Wife and Husband.
They technically are Mr/Mrs Goldfarb in plot detail, so that is the name they are indexed as in char guide 1.0 (the one thats up) -- I'd much rather use proper names, even if the puppets could be generic (and as far as I know, they were only used as those two people).

Do know the character guide that is up now is just a listing of all the characters I noticed during the current 4 available guides and I consider the 'husband/wife' implied, which will be explicated in greater detail when I update the guide itself (which I've been doing over the past day or so -- I especially didn't like how I set up script elements so that is what I'm doing right now). Ultimately, a format where whenever an obscure character is referenced in the textual guide, the name will function as a link that will go straight to information in the character guide. My intention for it is merely supplemental to the guide since I am not using multimedia (unless for whatever reason Disney doesn't care) -- but I don't have the time right now to deal with any of that.

Another for the host could actually be Green Frackle, though (since he resembles Boppity so much) -- do keep in mind that I don't necessarily ONLY follow other people's interpretations on character names, so I usually note others (IE Zsa Zsa Porkmustard/Porkmustid).

I don't know WHERE Fran came from (guess I was thinking Dinosaurs when I was writing those guides 2 years ago).:eek: Thanks for pointing that out. -- it will be corrected in (I believe these are the only 'Fran's) the Food/Ratings Game guides and the character listing and uploaded tonight after I finish my work.

As a side note, I had created a much better character guide with different explanations and such) but that was unfortunately lost when my hd corrupted this past summer. I'll probably completely change the format of the character guide when I get all episodes indexed since I've pretty much redone all the guides (and especially the site itself). A Kermitage-esque guide woudl be ideal, but I don't want to run the risk of copyright image issues (though I can take screenshots via video card) so for now I'm just using that one there.

I guess I could mock up a few "fact file" type formats and ask for your opinions on what works.

jediX

Reaction score
UPDATE

Slightly fixed the formating of the guides, reuploaded them. The only differences textually in this edit were minor grammattical things and the change from "host" to "host monster" in the Monster Telethon guide (I understand your logic on specifying the surname 'monster' in the textual guide to keep continuity with the other monster names, but it will remain Monster Telethon Host in the character guide to be more specific in that locale). Fran is now Fern in all known instances.

Stulz

Reaction score
Unaried Episodes:

Any luck getting better quality copies of the those JHH episodes we talked about oh so long ago?

I'm still looking for really good quality versions of the following episodes:
"Health & Fitness"
"Musicians"
"Secrets of the Muppets"
"Food"
"Sesame Street: 20 Years & Still Counting"

I want to start making DVD's of JHH and I'd love to trade with you again now that I have a bunch of Muppets DVD's allready completed.

Let me know...

:big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Matt, great to see you posting here again. So... is your site's JHH character index complete and ready for me to raid it for the ML updates of my own? Got a deal with another great source from here on the forums to get the JHH episodes on VHS. Might be able to compare, contrast, and converse with you about said entries after I get the episodes. But just wanted to wish you well for now and hope you keep up the great work on your site.

BTW: There are some pics I've been meaning to send you of the custom you helped with. Will see 'bout sending them soon.

jediX

Reaction score
Its been a rather dry week for updates to the guide--I had two exams today that I spent the weekend studying for along with my usual glob of reading. Good to know there's some interest--that will definately help during those moments where I get fed up with transcribing scenes.

Count: No, the character guide is FAR from complete: right now it only encompasses the episodes that have guides. I'm currently working on two guides simultaneously (Health&Fitness, though I put that on pause for now since my tape is missing the first couple of minutes, and Aquatic Life) as well as updating/expanding the current guides. So, as new guides get added, new characters will be added into the listing.

Also note that hardly ANYTHING even has information -- this is because I intend to add that in later when I convert the guide to another format. The usual table format works just fine for my episode guides, but I think what I've got there for the guide right now is a bit....inadequate and too 1997-style. I'd love to make a flash-based system, but there's no way I'm buying that overpriced program, so I'll probably create a more professional-looking table-based (sorry if I'm using too many html terms here) system -- think 'fact file' index cards. I could also go the route of Kermitage, but without photos (and I don't have the time/patience to get any official "okays" from Disney [nor do I even know how they handle those sorts of things]), that system would be pretty useless and a step down from what I have right now. Any other suggestions are welcome (and very much wanted).

Stulz: Nope. I've basically been on trade hiatus since I 'left' last summer during the whole 'board reformation' so to answer your question: no, though I do intend to get 'replacement' versions of a few episodes I have that are incomplete. Off the top of my head, I'm missing Jim's closer of Sci-Fi, the intro to 'Food,' and the first few (guessing between 2 and 5) minutes of 'Health&Fitness.' As far as I know, there's only one version of 'Food' floating around in the trade community -- but that probably has changed in the past 7 months.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's OK Matt, thanks for the update though. Doing a deal with one of my other sources, and I plan on having 13 of the 14 episodes soon. Not sure when, but it's on the docket.
Hope everything goes well with both the site and everything else on your plate.