The Moppet Family: The Reunion

christyb

Reaction score
Chapter Two -Starting

Glendale School of the Arts was a well-hidden and well-known school. The campus was large and sprawling. It took after the old style of architecture. The campus centerpiece stood looming ahead, bell tower and enormous pillared hall below held the infamous headmaster’s office. Ivy covered brick buildings crowded around a center oval. There, great oak trees dotted the grassy plain lending brilliant shades of green and flowers to the countryside. Students lay sprawled across the grass while others played Frisbee and other games.

Spring was well on its way. The air held laughter and frivolity as students were grateful that another year was almost done. Amongst all this, a pair hastened their way across the path toward the bell tower. Professor Cole was the taller and a favorite amongst the school’s students. His blue eyes contrasted with his dark coloring and hair. They seemed to see everything when indeed they never saw enough. On his arm an almost mirror image walked steering him around various obstacles. Known to this school as Christy Cole her hair flew loose down her back cascading down her shoulders. Where his eyes held happiness and content, her own dazzlingly blue eyes showed darkness deep within. All around her pretty physique hung mystery and secrecy. Both were deep in conversation ignoring the rest of the world.

From above a large man watched the two from a window. He would admit to very few mistakes in his long career as headmaster, but the worst mistake is the woman making her way across campus. Even from his perch high above, he could see that she wasn’t happy being here. If only he hadn’t been so hasty in his judgments. Making her way toward his office walked the most skilled and powerful person he knew. Not counting her brother, but with his poor eyesight he hated to risk him. If Christy Cole couldn’t help, then all would be lost. Interrupting his thoughts and mindless staring, the door creaked behind him and closed. Before turning around he called out a greeting.

“Cut the chitchat. Why am I here?” Christy’s voice was icey, cold, and hard. Her jaw tightly clamped shut as if trying to keep something out. Inside her eyes flashed a hurt so deep that no man could heal.

“Christy!! Mind your manners!” Adam flashed a glare at her and admonished.

“Never mind Adam. She has plenty of reasons to be that way. Frankly, I deserve it. Every man is allotted his share of mistakes. I’ve made mine. You were one of them. I’m sorry. Yes, you were headstrong and rebellious. I had no reason to blame you openly that night. I realized too late that you had heard. If it’s any consolation the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring,” the headmaster turned and offered a hand in peace.

“All these years and you’re just now getting around to sorry?”

“Christy Nicola when are you going to learn to hold your tongue?”

“Hush up Adam! It’s the truth. I was sixteen when I left here. Vic is fourteen now. I was never going to send him here because I was too angry. Now I have two extraordinarily gifted twins. Frankly I expected a few more years before I had to come crawling back. That was if I came back at all. I was debating on rendering the twins normal,” Christy glared menacingly at the headmaster standing behind the desk.

“I heard that you had children; you have two talented ones?” the Headmaster interrupted interest sparkling in his eyes. If her children were anything like her…maybe just maybe there was a way to make up for what happened.

“Twins, we’re not ready for those two yet,” Adam said. “You think Christy and I were talented you haven’t seen anything. If you think she was a handful, then you better double our staff before they are old enough to come to school. Between those two, we’re going to be running like crazy in a few years.” He chuckled slightly.

“Anyways, apology accepted. That is all I ever wanted. For once to have people not think the worst about me. Okay, so I did rig the floors to turn to ice whenever the bells rang, and I admit to turning Professor Dimwinkle into a rat. Speaking of which, congratulations on your marriage by the way. Sure I deserved it, but you went too far,” Christy smiled and took the outstretched hand, “Now I must get back to the question at hand. Why am I here?”

Headmaster turned to his desk. The large intimidating mass of wood, it used to seem so much bigger. He pulled out a drawer and reached inside. A small paper enveloped crackled in his hands. She looked at him with interest, as the weight of the world seemed to settle upon his shoulders. Reaching inside he pulled out a faded old photograph and pushed it forward across the wood. It was a well-worn paper with two identical boys smiling back. Both clad in overalls and bare feet. Arms around one another they seemed to have not a care in the world.

Christy's fingers lifted it from the desk. Her eyes changed, widening or narrowing, or closing. Gasping, her hand inadvertently traced the figure on the left with reverence. For a moment, she transported herself back in time. When a cocky handsome boy stole the heart of a young girl and the gold of the world. Back when she was a young girl when clanging of swords, whistles in the night, and thrill was her world. Sure, her choice now was clear. Not a soul could doubt her love for Bo. But Ron still held a special place in her heart. He would forever, but he was dead even if he still lived. That life ended when Vic was a little baby. Vic…so much likes his natural father in looks, but he acted more like his adopted father.

The other two men watched her in awe. Christy placed the photograph back down, lost in a whirl of memories. Memories that according to the government, the family, and her were supposed to remain a secret. Events that never happened, at least that’s what they told everyone. Bo feigned a phobia of water to throw people off. She stayed away from swords and ships, period. Mostly claiming that she had terrible sea-sickness and swords weren’t toys. That way no one could figure out the identity of Moppet and Nicky. All these years later tales float about those two pirates. Fueled by legend and gossip alone their alter-egos lived on. Alter-egos that both Bo and Christy could never let surface. Perhaps Moppet and Nicky were dead. She didn’t know. It had been a long time since she attempted to find the other half of herself. For the security of her family, she never tried to.

Adam glanced over at his old headmaster. Their hunch was right; she knew exactly who it was. With a whisper she finally voiced, “Its Ron as a little boy. This…this is Randall. See the scar just above his lip? That was his twin brother. Ronald and Randall were their names. Ronald was like us, until he took up piracy and was excommunicated faster than a person’s head could spin. Randall was as normal as could be. He was jealous though. Boy, was he jealous. He hated his brother for having everything…including me. There were times when I knew that boy was half in love with me. Surprises a plain ol’ girl ya know?”

During her pause for breath, Adam looked into her eyes. “He’s trying to take out revenge and take over the world.”

“Good grief is that all? I thought about putting a blizzard over this place years ago. My neighbors try to take over the world once a month or so.”

“You don’t understand. Randall can do it. He’s learned how to play mind games. You know that is the greatest weapon of them all. We’re told he can get inside of you and twist you all up. Almost like Convincing John in that kid’s show Vic used to watch,” Adam quietly explained.

“I get it. Seeing, as he’s sweet on me you want me to go and talk some sense into him. I can’t do that. I’ve got the kids and Bo. Not to mention his crazy brother and that dog. There’s no way I’ll be able to go gallivantin’ around looking for someone who doesn’t want to be found.” What am I saying, she wondered. This was exactly what she wanted. A chance. No, she couldn't. Inside her a pirate whispered, yes. Growling, unknowingly out loud, “Shut up Nicky.”

“Mom’s always wanted to see the world and spend more time with us. Especially since Dad’s gone,” Adam said hesitantly. Bringing in Christy was Headmaster’s idea. He still wasn’t sure as to how great of an idea it was.

“Oh yeah and risk her life as well.”

“You can hire a nurse for her, or I can come with you. She loves long afternoon naps. You can be a tourist with her in the morning, and go looking in the evening and night.”

“Go looking, like he were some lost toy?”
“He's not a toy. You know that.”

“Adam, you certainly are not coming. Not in Izzy’s condition. She needs you with her. Besides, what about the kids? Bo can’t handle them. He can barely get himself dressed in the morning. He’s lost without me.”

“I know a Nanny Service. There’s a waiting list, but by the time everything gets prepared you’ll be gone and there’ll be an experienced babysitter in place,” the headmaster quietly added into the conversation.

The room grew quiet as she thought. This was it then. She'd return. Maybe not as a pirate, but it was the same thing. The world, the sea, to herself and...her mom... “What about Vic?”

“Your family is exactly why you must do this, Christy,” the headmaster said. “If Randall found out that he has a nephew...”

Christy's eyes flashed, and her mind was made up. “I’ll do it. I‘ll do it my way and no questions asked--agreed?”

Once again the headmaster reached over and exuberantly shook her hand. From the side Adam placed his hand on top. Headmaster was the first to speak, “Agreed, we can’t thank you enough, Christy.”

“I got a feeling this will be something that no one will be able to forget,” she smiled as a hidden fire and a certain smile flashed momentarily from deep within.
"Dear all, especially Father,
I, don't know exactly how to put this, but, I got a call while you were all asleep. My mother is in hospital, and I need to leave right away, y'all. Good bye, and be good.
Mother."

Father, Bo Moppet, stared at the sheet of paper quivering in his hand. It has been there when he woke up, placed in the center of the table, lying on the starched tablecloth.. “Righty, mmhmm, typical. When did the phone ring?”

Father switched on the kettle. “Perfect timing as always, Mother, just on the day my colleague Mr. Harvey returns from a stored up five months holiday leave, and Mother leaves before five am in the morning without a word of goodbye or...Who will look after the twins! A nanny, or the fairy-god-mother, no, she'd probably gang up on me, I know! Dan-Dan!”

The pantry door burst open and Dan-Dan emerged with an “I *heart* Narnia!” t-shirt. “You called?”

“Um...never mind. You'd probably eat them, or something, and...”
During Father’s panic attack, the twins appeared in their high-chairs by the table, halfway through an argument. “No, British people never have kippers for breakfast!”

“Always do!” Vibs said.

“No ways do!” Viq said.

“Always do!”

“No ways do! Why are we arguing?”

“Not sure, but it's fun.”

“Ok, thanks.”

“No problem. Always do!”

“No ways do!”

Vic dive rolled down the stairs, and leapt under the table. “Go, go, go, Yak-man. Chuck Wagon Wonder will cover you.”

Kyle, the kid next door, tripped down the stairs, and dashed straight across out the door. Vic ran after him, and Dog watched them from his place on a rug. He shrugged, jumped up, and made his paws into a gun, “Arf, James Arf.”

“Boys! Boy-next-door-also-known-as-Yakman-get-back-and-eat-your-breakfast! Vic!!!” Father slammed about with a teapot and cups, pouring tea for himself. For a moment he wondered where the aspirin was. A headache was sure in coming. DanDan sat upside down across the table from him spooning oatmeal with his toes. The twins being tired of their argument decided that throwing food was a more entertaining and annoying way to spend their time. In and out Vic, Kyle, Yakky, Biggy, and Dog ran making gun noises and defended the house from invasion.

Suddenly a long forgotten pancake fell on his head. Standing to his feet he glared as the rest stared at him. Bo Moppet sent the twins upstairs. Kyle ran with his pets to his own house. Vic disappeared as if by magic with Dog, and sounds of a Playstation followed. DanDan decided that it was time to visit Aslan and save Narnia from the evil purple witch who made everyone dress in leis and wooden clogs while dancing the hokey-pokey, but that’s another story.

Father sighed and placed his head in his hands. After throwing away the pancake and cleaning up somewhat, he sat down and opened his morning paper. The problem was his mind was not on the paper. This might not be so bad. He had once handled the roughest of pirates. Surely a few kids were no problem. Surely he didn’t need help. He closed his eyes and pounded his head on the table.

Curious as to what was going on Vibs and Viq crept downstairs. They peeked around the corner into the kitchen without a word. Father dropped his head, and banged it against the table top. “Our Mum left us alone with the weirdo man again,” Vibs said.

Viq gulped. “I'm very concerned. I mean, why is he banging his head on the table like that?”

“Maybe it's a parting ritual among parents,” Vibs replied.

“Pare-? But he can't be...”

Vibs nodded solemnly and turned to Viq. “I have a feeling he may be our...you know...our...”

“Vibs, don't say it!”

“Yes, Viq, we have to face the truth, that guy over there...he's...it may be our f-...our f-f-father.”

“Nooooooooo!” And Viq fainted. Vibs raised her eyebrows. “Oh dear.”

Mother stood behind Father her shoulders shaking with silent laughter. It didn’t surprise her that those two acted that way towards their Father. They inherited their melodramatics from her. Suddenly, she frowned and glared at the man throwing a fit in the kitchen.

Father Moppet leapt up from the table, shouting, “Christy, why are you being so darn selfis-” He stopped very suddenly, and didn't turn around. Felt her. “Um, I was thinking of having shell fish for dinner, dear...”

Mother walked up to him. “I knew it! I knew you'd take it this way! Why am I the selfish one? Have you realized I haven’t been out of this stupid house alone in, oh gosh, since we moved here! That’s not the issue here. You know my Mother when she gets an idea into her head there’s no stopping her. I have to pack. Have you seen my hairbrush?”

Christy marched up the stairs, and Father followed. “Hey, can't you put this off? She's...only your mother! Well, not only yours, she is Adam's mother two, but I need you to stay away from any temptation..”

“See, I knew you'd argue! Why do you think I left and then came back to get my things? Why on earth do you not want me to go? You get to hide away in that office all day. I have to stay here. Ever think how hard that is for me?”

“Dear, be reasonable! I need you here! Who will take care of the tea-..twins?”

Christy snorted and looked at him as if he’d just turned purple. With a stamp of her foot she crossed over removed the wallet from his back pocket, took the money, and shoved the fake leather into his gaping mouth.

“Mom ain’t you getting a little hostile here? Choking Dad with fake cowhide isn’t the answer. Frankly, I like you too much to see you spending ten to twenty. Dad meant…” Vic started to say from his perch, leaned against the doorway.

“He means that he loves the way you cook and clean for him Mrs. Moppet. You make housecleaning look like art,” his Kyle added with a flourish.

“Dude, nice one!” Vic exclaimed and the two boys proceeded to do their secret handshake ritual. Near them Dog shook hands with himself and grinned.

“If both of you don’t get out of my sight in the next two seconds I’m gonna show you exactly how much art is in housecleaning! Move it…Now!!” Christy barked and the two boys jumped and disappeared. Faint mumbles were heard drifting behind them.

Bo frowned at the teethmarks on his wallet, and snapped it back into his pocket. “Dear, I, you...”

“You follow me. If you have a little bit intelligence left in you, then you’ll keep your male chauvinistic mouth shut!”

“Hey now, no need to get nasty. That is not the impression I wanted you to get. I only meant that I need you.”

“March, Sailor! You are in hot water. It’ll do this entire house good for me to be gone a while.”

“Now honey…”

“March!”

By this time Mother and Father passed Vic’s room. Inside Kyle and Vic lay on the floor playing video games. Yakky was curled up on the bed snoring away. Kyle looked over at Vic raising his eyebrows. Vic just shrugged and restarted the game system, “Who knows man? She’s ticked that’s for sure. Mom’s calling Dad ‘Sailor’ too. She only does that when he’s in trouble. I don’t know why, though, you know Dad’s terrified of water. We better wait a while before asking her to make us some sandwiches.”

“Harumph!” Biggy grunted from an overstuffed chair, and flipped pages in a comic book.

“I know you’re hungry. Vic’s right though. Mrs. Moppet isn’t in the best mood right now. How about we go hijack the ice cream man’s truck instead??” Kyle asked while standing up and stretching.

“Great idea! Oh Teeeeeedddd! Where are you boy?”

Father followed Mother back into the kitchen. “I forbid you to leave.”

“Oh really?”

“Ye…” Father started but was quickly losing his courage, “Yes, I forbid you from leaving this house.”

She glared at him. He glared back.

“Bo, you can do this. By yourself. You can't depend on me forever, Mr
Moppet,” Mother softened her gaze and smiled encouragingly.

Viq and Vibs appeared under the table, listening. “I'll give you twenty if Mom wins,” Vibs said.

“Twenty what? You don’t have any money. Besides, Mommy says gambling is wrong.” Viq replied.

“She also said Dog isn’t supposed to talk. He does anyway though. Fine then you give me that candy you’ve been hiding, if I can get that Father-thing to change my diapie.”

“No way! That creature barely even touches us. You can’t get him to do that. You’re on, but if you lose I get to sleep with the teddy bear tonight.” A chubby handshake was exchanged.

“What would you do if I died?” Mother asked suddenly. “How would you look after them then? You need the practice man!”

Father frowned. “This is about your dream isn't it. Honey, it‘s a dream. Something from the past that happened on a ship somewhere. Nothing to worry about.”

“Not at all. It's about nappies that need...eew...changing! What is that smell?” Mother leaned down and looked under the table. Vibs pointed and Viq and Viq pointed at Vibs.

Mother heaved Vibs up, and passed her across to Father.

“Ugh, but dear…she smells…terribly,” Father carried the baby at arms length.

“Ding! Ding! Ding! Give the man a prize! Well genius it’s your job to clean her. There’s some diapers in the pantry. Usually you’d use the changing table in the nursery, but it’s probably not big enough for you to hold your arm out like a gorilla. So Gorilla Boy, lay her on the table and clean her. There’s the phone!” Christy ran with Viq, placed him in his highchair, and picked up the phone.

Beau glanced around looking like a lost little boy. Awkwardly he brushed the kitchen tablecloth back a ways and set the baby down. He looked into the pantry and grabbed a diaper. Walking back to the table Vibs giggled merrily. “Uh, Daddy? The longer you wait the worse I get. Just take it off like Mommy does,” she said kicking her legs.

Beau glanced over to his last lifeline. Surely, Mother must be teasing. Any moment now she’d jump in and relieve him of this terrible job. She did nothing but let smile and continue on with her conversation. Sighing he looked over at Viq who was watching and eating Cheerios as if they were popcorn, “Son, let me give you a bit of advice. Never marry a demonic female pirate captain. They think too much. Go and find you some twiddle-brain who‘ll do everything you ask.”

“What does he mean by that?” Viq asked Vibs.

“I dunno, but this isn’t fun anymore. Daadddddddiiieeeee change me!”

Ignoring the other three, Mother was deep into her phone conversation. It was Adam her brother with an update on her trip at hand. There had been a sudden turn of events and things had to be stepped up a notch, “Look Adam. I'm having second thoughts here...Father is just now having his first lesson in changing a diaper.”

“Christy, I understand you don’t want to leave them before you’re sure
they’re ready. However, we don’t have a choice. One of our agents sent a message that Randall has been spotted. A coffee shop in Italy. He was talking, and...he knows that Ron has a son, yours.”

“What! No! That‘s not right!”

Father jumped. “What? What did I do wrong now?”

Mother waved her hand, and made a cutting motion, and returned to
her telephone. “He doesn't know where he is?”

“He doesn't know much from what I hear,” Adam said. “But you need to get to Venice before he has a chance to leave the area. Can you meet me at the airport in five minutes? We’ll go together to see Mom and then I’ll board the two of you on to Italy.”

“I have no choice do I? Very well. I’ll see you in ten minutes.”

“I said five…not ten.”

“I said ten. I have to get my bag and say goodbye. Not to mention…Oh my gosh! What on earth have you done Beau? Gotta go Adam. I’ll see you in three. Bye!” Christy said and hung up the phone.

Bo held out Vibs rather proudly. He had done a clever job if he did say so himself. Meanwhile, Mother circled the baby inspecting with a hand daintily covering her mouth. Bo frowned. Christy's southern ways always puzzled him.

Vibs glared at her Mother with her arms crossed. This bet had better be worth this. On her bottom half she wore three diapers. Father had ripped the top off the first one by accident, so he took two other diapers and wrapped them around her waist. He had secured all this with silver ductape. Unfortunately he had also accidentally taped a coat hanger to her also. This was sticking out looking like a TV antenna. On the table lay two empty boxes of baby wipes.

Beau was getting impatient. So he decided to make the first move, “So what do you think?”

Cocking her head to one side she crossed her arms and put on her straightest face. Finally, taking a deep breath to hold in laughter Christy attempted to say, “Does she get HBO?” However, mostly hiccups and laughter could be heard.

“I don’t see what is so funny. I think I did a rather nice job,” Beau said with a hint of injury in his voice.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that…that…a hanger Beau?? What on earth is that for?”

“A what?? Oh yes, umm it’s to…to…hang the diaper out to dry when she uses it again. You know to be a little more economical since you insist on using disposable diapers.”

“You wanna wash the old one? Be my guest. That’s not important. It seems as if my Mother has, well frankly taken a turn for the uh…worse. I have to leave immediately.”

“But...But…So soon?”

“Yeah, I'm sorry to leave you so hung-up, but...” Her voice caught despite trying for hanger pun. She reached deep inside herself for her pirate past, and inner strength. She took Vibs from Father, and hid tears behind the baby’s back as she walked into the living room where two suitcase magically appeared. Bo opened the door to call in Vic as Mother put both babies back into their playpen. He crossed over to Christy who had busied herself getting together the rest of her things and looked her in the eye, “Nicky, you’re up to something. What is it? What are you not telling me?”

As his voice grew quiet and his arms slipped around her the kids seemed to disappear. And for a moment they were just Nicky and Moppet, not Christy and Bo, not Mother and Father.

Christy gulped and made a feeble attempt at nonchalance, “Nothing at all. Okay, I am up to something. Don’t worry it’s not illegal and I won’t die. I’ll be back. I promise.”

“You better or I’m coming after you. I don’t like this one bit.”

“Goodbye Beau.”

“Goodbye Nicky.”

“Don’t touch the money.”

“I won’t. I’m leaving now.”

“Very well. I love ya you foolish she-devil.”

“I love you too you overgrown klutz.”

With that she kissed all three of her kids and even the kid next door.
Christy wondered why she made the remark about dying. This was just a pleasure trip. No big risks at all. She shut the door behind her and snapped her fingers. In a split second she appeared at the Weston International Airport. Adam tapped his watch motioning that she was late. She slipped a sisterly arm around him to guide him. Not that Adam needed it. It was mainly to keep her from running away herself.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Loud thunderous applause!!! This is so vonderful... To quote Lisa: OY, where to start?
The campus of Magic School! Glendale, California I take it?
And the way you have Christy leading Adam there and at the airport, I give you points for that. But aren't Adam's eyes supposed to be brown or at least black? Guess you felt they should match Christy's since they're siblings.

Izzy's condition... Is this harkening to her being in labor? Or from that little thing I started and left unfinished? Sorry bout that, got a bit of a tendency to leave stories unfinished sometimes when I'm not sure of myself.

Christy's mother's sick and needs to go on a trip... OMG! That ties in to when we were in Austrailia and then Antarctica, and the family found about Moppet's past and Captain Hebbage.
The nanny service. That'll make Tabi happy that her character's coming in soon.

And a Muppet reference in the Moppet Family to boot. More points.
The scene at the homefront... Chuck Wagon Wonder and Yakman, that takes me back to near the beginning from before our trip to Disney.
And the way the twins are hesitant to recognize Bo as their father... So perfectly in character.

The scene with the hanger, funny... What more can I say.
Herrumph said Biggy as he read some comic books... Isn't "herrumph" Yakey's line?

Anyway, it's a fantasticabulous chapter with plenty to satisfy... *In Dr. Teeth voice: This is truly a narrative of most heavy duty proportions.
Hugs to you Christy, and hugs to the story... Mmm, to let it all sink in and wait for Bo to post the next part.

RedDragon

Reaction score
<standing ovation> Wooohooooooo!

Mairin: <munches cheerios> Dis s gret suf!

Don't talk with your mouth full!

Mairin: Saree!

<shakes head> More please!

Mairin: Yis, Ore Peas!

Stop that!

christyb

Reaction score
Glad ya'll like it. Here I'll comment on The Count's post seeing as he caught pretty much everything in Chapter Two with no hints. Kudos to The Count. Oh yeah and new character alert: Headmaster.

Glendale: Uhh it's more like the first word that popped in my head. Where it is...well difficult b/c directions get screwy after a while.

Adam's eyes: That was more Beau's rewrite in there. Originally I didn't have that detail. It fits later on having Mother and Adam look alike.

Izzy's condition: We're referring to the triplets. Although that story would be nice if you'd finish it someday...

References: You ain't seen nothing yet. Hey I read all 1,000+ pages of MopFam (some parts multiple times) (oh yeah and Beau too) to get consistency right. If you got a kick out of this I can't wait for your reaction later.

For now I'm at the reigns until we find the switch that lets Beau back in MC. So no more chapters until tomorrow I think. Just so everyone knows I'm the one who's behind on the story as a whole. (writing it that is) I should finish my draft tonight and send it to Beau for our final editing confab. That way the story is finished! (A year after I started it.)

Message From Beau:

"*jumps up and down* Er, ahem, just you hang in there Mr Cole, sir, the references and harking baks are only just beginning. *grin*

Oh, and I am still offline...*mutter!*

Beau"

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good... Maybe one of these days, I'm working on something else now. Maybe this has played out and the Moppets have returned to what may consist as mormacy. And if Bo's stuck out of MC, feel free to pass along my E-mail addy to him Christy girl. You do still have it fright?
And no worries about the eye coloring, that can be changed later either towards the end or after the story's over. Hope for more soon, maybe if Bo gets the hint...

christyb

Reaction score
I have it and I'll pass it along. There are inconsistencies within the Mopfam that we're shrugging off. Like.....why doesn't Mother have the twins also. And why does this character walk before it's a year old. Some things just aren't explained. So to me Adam's eyes change colors as the situation needs. :smile: LoL you'll just have to wait on the story. Give everyone else a chance to catch up.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... Like I said, not that big a deal, and I like how you explained it away just now.
Rully a surprise that Beth and Lisa... Ahem, the rest of the family hasn't come in and commented yet.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Izzy: Adam I'm here! You know me always late for everything! Have to always look my best you know!

Anyway, great chapter Christy! It was so nice to see so many beloved characters coming out of the woodwork in this chapter and I love how Izzy's pregnancy keeps getting alluded to and I can't wait to see what's next!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Adam: Aw darling... You know you always look lovely. Did you tell the girls we were meeting here today? They've seemed awfully quiet lately.

*No worries Beth.

christyb

Reaction score
Chapter 3-Discovering

It was early, and the birds were all singing different tunes. Father yawned as he stepped into bunny slippers, and headed downstairs. A few minutes later, milk splashed perfectly into a china teacup, brown steaming tea cascaded after it, and the wafting, enticing smell of fresh tea burned clear in the Moppet kitchen.

A flap of the front-door postbox announced the arrival of mail, and Father pottered out of the kitchen and down the short hallway, stooping to grab it up. "Bill, bill," he muttered. "We should figure out who this Bill guy is and forward these."

"Bonjour!" DanDan screamed, cart-wheeling down the stairs. "Billbo-baggins is my own personal best friend's ironing board!" He snatched the bills, and dived out the front door. "Hasta mañana!"

Father blinked, and resumed his perusing the post. He flipped over a card and read aloud, "Dear all, I hope all is well with you. I know I was hoping to return by now. However, Grandma wants to see Russia before she dies. Why, I don't know. So in order to please her. That and the fact she tied me up and forced me to go. We are now visiting Russia. This globe-trotting has to stop though. I miss you all and I'm ready to go home. Father, take good care of the twins and Vic. Also, don't forget to remodel your office into a bedroom for my mother. Love, Mother."

Father sighed. Russia. Would this ever end? Now to make the taunt worse, now he was meant to remodel his home-office into a bedroom from the cracked Grandma. Another knock on the door interrupted his thoughts. Father pulled it open.

"Hi! Mr. Moppet? I need to speak to you for a minute or two here. I come from the census bureau, and I need to ask you your opinions on the current state of the world. Global warming? Nuclear war? Bush? A POSSIBLE RESURGENCE OF DAN QUAYLE? THE UNABOMBER? POISONOUS COFFEE? A WORLDWIDE EPIDEMIC OF BEDWETTING? TELL ME, MR MOPPET! I need to know your opinions on this! If we didn't do surveys we couldn't release disturbing studies! And do you know what would happen if we didn't release disturbing studies? THE END OF THE WORLD, Mr. Moppet! Yes, The End Of The World! No more! Armageddon! PRAISE THE LORD! PRAISE JESUS! Amino ho vo sanctum, es pres te did te ad um. Yes! Latin mass! I remember the day when everything was done in Latin! Corpus Christi! I remember that so fondly. See? No more Latin! I was right! We missed that study there a while ago! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD! Hold on a second." The scraggle-haired man paused, looked down at the red clipboard in his hand, and slapped his palm to his forehead. "I think I have the wrong house. Are you Mr Moppet Jr?"

Father closed the door. Another day, another nightmare in the Moppet Household. Father placed the postcard down on a nearby sideboard, and found his tea back in the kitchen. Wrapping his fingers around the cup, Father lifted it to his lips as the telephone rang.

"Bo Moppet? It's Adam," Adam’s voice sounded over the wires.

"Adam? Hey, guess what I got a card from Mother and she's in--" Beau began.

"Bo, Izzy was taken into the hospital psychic wing and they haven't let me see her yet."

"What!"

Nobody knew what was wrong. The Doctors refused to let Mr Cole access to is wife. Father suspected that it was rather more to do with the fact Izzy was half cat half human, an uncommon phenomena for a general hospital. Whatever was wrong, Adam would have been better to find help at the Magic School. Now Izzy was alone in a hospital room, while Mr Cole was shut out.

"Can't you speak to one of the doctors?" Father leaned against the kitchen counter gripping it with shock.

"I did," Adam replied, sighing.

"And?"

"She said, "Yooou have waaaays of making us taaalk," and disappeared promptly."

“I’ll be right down. We’ll figure something out,” Father hung up the phone and dashed upstairs. Within minutes everyone was packed and headed straight to the local hospital.

Inside the hospital was a remote wing. This ward was used for special cases only. Cases that no doctor and scientist could explain. Down at the end of the hallway, Izzy lay under starched hospital sheets, her eyes fluttering open and closed, no sense of time. Her pale dark beautiful hair clung to pale white skin. She felt her dreams more than saw them. Her sister-in-law, Christy, in Siberia. Her brother-in-law, Bo Moppet, running with a flashing sword. Someone she didn't recognize, a firmly built man with black gloves reaching towards her children. Children!

Izzy sat up straight, breathing fast, her cat's-eyes adapting to the grey darkness. Babies. Kittens. That was why she was trapped in her human form, because of the babies inside her. "Adam," she said. But he was not there. "Adam?" her mind was foggy.

From a corner a shadow moved and called, "Adam is not here," said a man, a firmly built man with black gloves. "My name is Randall. I am looking for the family of a very…special friend, shall I say. Your husband knows her well. Christy Nicola Cole. She has a family, yes? Where are they? Where?"

Izzy's eyes rolled with pain from another contraction. She tried to sit up, and fell back. "Adam…"

"Yes?" The voice was thick, like black treacle on a wall. "Where is the family?"

"I don't know. I don't, I…" Her face pulled tight. The man came closer. She opened her eyes into his. "Adam. Adam!" Her mind shouted louder than her throat could form.

Quietly another form entered Izzy’s dreams. Christy gently smoothed the hair lying across Izzy’s forehead. Gently she whispered, “You’ll be just fine Izzy. It hurts I know. Just wait, when you hold those three little girls you’ll forget all about this pain now. Izzy listen to me…”

“Christy?? Where are you? What’s happening?” Izzy gasped between pains.

“A battle like no other before it. Izzy, keep my babies safe. Keep our kids away. Don’t tell him. Scream like you never have before.”

“I…can’t…he’s…choking…”

“Randall your fight is with me leave her alone!!! ADAM!!!!!!!” Christy screamed and threw herself at the shadow closing in on Izzy.

With that the door slammed open, Adam, running in, kneeling, taking her hand in his, "I'm sorry, they wouldn't let me come to you. They wouldn't let me."

"Adam…" Izzy's breathing was hard. "The man…Christy…"

"What? What is it?" Adam placed a firm hand on her forehead. "You're burning up."

"Babies," Izzy said. "We are going to have little girls."

“Venice…nothing along with Madrid, Paris, London, Berlin, and now we’re in Austria. I’m about sick and tired of this. It’s high time I got home to my family. We’ve been on the road for nearly two months!” Christy sighed and threw her pen in frustration. She winced in pain and rubbed her shoulder tenderly. A bruise was quickly forming where she distracted Randall to protect Izzy and her babies.

“Now, Chrissy how many times have I told you not to mumble when you talk? Speak up and clearly, but not too loudly. Remember you’re a lady now,” Grandma Cole admonished from her recliner in the corner.

“Mother, you’ve been telling me that since I was three. That’s been about thirty years ago now. Shouldn’t I know it already?”

“You always were my wild child. Never accepting the normal. Doing the unusual.”

“You have no idea, Mother,” Christy mumbled and turned toward the window.

“Speak up child. I’m old and a wee bit deaf. You know you need a new image, and we are doing fine! Just fine!" She got up out of her seat, and lifted a huge knobby cane. Christy figured her Ma needed it far less for getting around than for threatening, and waving, and generally knee-bashing with the thing. "Chrissy you look terrible. Yes, you know, I do believe a losing a few pounds and getting back in shape will do the trick. Maybe a new hairstyle and some new clothes. Then I’ll take you out to have some fun. All you’ve done is poke around where you don’t belong. Dancing! That’s it,” Grandma Cole inspected Christy carefully and clucked her tongue.

Christy stared at her Mother, and stared at the postcard she was writing. She was just telling Father that her Mother was kidnapping her and doing the "Get back in shape girl" act, when, suddenly, she really was. “Mother! What on earth are you talking about? My image is fine. I don’t need to go out dancing like a young single kid. I’m married! I have three children!” She began to rub her temples. She could feel a headache coming on, “You know what? I do believe it’s Adam’s turn at you. Mother, I love you, but I believe you’re getting senile.”

“I am as sane as can be. Just because I’m old doesn’t mean my mind has gone. Yes that’s what we’re going to do. I think I’ll just call Angel. She used to be an old schoolmate of mine. She now owns a health and beauty spa here. She also has two big strapping handsome boys,” Grandma Cole said with her eyes twinkling mischievously and rolled the strapping handsome words over her tongue.

“Mother! Now see here. I am happily married. I like the way I am now. I chose this and frankly I think it’s time for me to go home and you to Adam’s. You’re going to cause me to grow old. What are you doing now?”

However, her protests fell on deaf ears. Grandma Cole was already chatting away on the telephone. As soon as she hung up the argument continued. Christy’s mother never quite approved of Beau. Then again her mind never has quite been right since Christy's father died.
"Husband!" Grandma exclaimed. "I've seen jellyfish eat things that are more husband than Beauregard Moppet!" Her words were drowned by a knock at the door.

Christy looked up fast from her writing. Grandma Cole skipped to the door chuckling, and Christy gaped as she opened it and let in two large men. Grandmother greeted them both and motioned to Christy. The two, following orders, picked the young woman up and carried her out. Christy protested loudly all the way to the car waiting outside.

Grandma Cole chuckled to herself. Poor darling, traipsing all the way around the word just to give her mother some time, and she couldn't even enjoy herself. All that girl of hers needed was the exact formula. Some face-creams, a wash and dye, hair-cut, toenails, and some gorgeous men and dancing. Her mother did the exact same thing to her, and someday Christy would do it to her daughter. Viq was her name…or was it Vic….maybe it was DanDan…oh, ack, she never could get names straight.

A few weeks later, music pumped, lights swung, and dancers span around the floor. Shoulder to shoulder, arms holding one another. Waitresses weaved in and out the throngs, trays of glasses held over their heads. Grandma Cole moved herself awkwardly through dances, elbows colliding with passing partners. Christy sat at a table by herself, nursing a coke and spinning the ice around the glass faster and faster.

There was a time when she'd be out there, twirling to the fastest music, people moving out of her way, clearing a center stage for her and Ron as they spun dramatically, his boots stomping time, her dress swishing behind her. Now the only twirling she did was with a straw in her glass.

Christy stood up and found a payphone. She pushed change into a slot. "Hey, Bo?"

"Mother? Christy!!! Ah, thank goodness, I'm going mad here. Wilson's is crazy, we were creating edible clothing, you know, Chilli-con-cardigans, etc. And Vic got in a car chase, and the nanny was dragged away by Nutrition Nannies, we have a nanny her names Mangosten? Or Mingostine? Or…" Father began on the other line.

Christy smiled at the sound of his voice. "Sounds fun. I miss you nutballs."

"You can't believe how glad I am that you are coming home soon."

"Oh," Christy glanced at the dance floor. Her Mother lifted her arms and a guy twisted under her hand, caught her other hand and leant back. "I may not…very soon…"

"What? But your brother just had kittens…no, he didn't, but, yes, he did, or his wife had kittens but he certainly had something to do with it, but…"

"Look, Bo, my Mother has basically got me kidnapped here, and…"

"Kidnapped? Who?"

Christy shook her head. "How are the twins?"

“No! Goodness me, they are fine. Haven't been kidnapped. And they haven't even kidnapped anyone else recently."

Christy grinned as Father, dear bumbling Bo, went on about this and that. New nanny, Fairy God-Mother. She looked over again at her own Mother, and stopped listening to Bo.

Her Mother danced with another man, a man so familiar that she would know him anywhere in the world. A man so like another she had known, yet so different inside. Randall was dancing with her Mother, a slow dance, staring into the strong, old woman's eyes. No! This was so wrong! Christy murmured into the phone. "Bo, I have to go, Mother…er…needs some help," and she hung the receiver back on its hook.

"Mother," Christy said, stepping up to her Mother, and touching her shoulder. "May I cut in?"

"Certainly not!" Grandma complained. "Just because I find the only handsome man in the club!"

Randall leant close. "You'd just love to get one of those fabulous punch glasses, though, now. So, I'll just dance with your very, beautiful daughter while you do that."

Grandma thought about protesting then thought, why not? She really did want a drink, and her daughter really was beautiful and deserved a good dancing partner. And she released him to her.

"I do hope you remember how to do this," Randall said, slipping one hand onto Christy's shoulder, the other around her waist.

Christy glared. "I am not here to dance. I am here to ask you some questions."

"Your Mother would be so disappointed." He bent to her ear like a conspirator. "Best to keep up appearances."

"Yeah, right." She let her feet begin to move with the music, flowing over the dance floor gracefully. "So, is it true what I hear? About you planning to take over the world?"

"Maybe so. It must be ages since your dear husband took you out, hmm?" Randall quietly replied letting his eyes gaze over his partner

"What makes you think you'll do it? I could name at least twelve people who've attempted just this year. T. Ottaly Kewl. Miss Nancy. The Great Green Grasshopper Gang. Heck, my neighbors try a hostile take over about once every six months."

"You just love the sound of your voice, hmm?" His own voice was a soft whisper above the music.

"Why do you always want what everyone else has?"

"I'd thank you not in interfere in my business, and I won't interfere with yours. Not while we are dancing."

"We're not. This is just a cover for a conversation. A dance implies, feeling."

"You're point being?" Randall said, a grin creeping over his clipped features. "Oh, that I cannot dance with enough feeling for you, well...maybe you are right." He pulled her closer, and the music grew swirling to higher intensity. Their eyes locked, Randall slipped his hand from her shoulder and along her arm as she pulled away, and span back, dipped and twirled. "Poor Christy, I bet you haven't been out of the house since the your twins were born. Such a waste"

"Give up your world takeover plot. I can hook you up with a nice girl. She's really sweet and caring, just up your alley."

"A tempting offer, Christy, I'll give you that. However I have my arms around all I want," Randall dipped his face down to steal a kiss

Christy stopped abruptly. He was taken by surprised, and half tripped over her feet. "I am a married woman," Christy said. "And newsflash, Randall, I never cared for you that way."

"You married? Oh, sure, I bet he didn't even want you to come on this trip, I bet he wanted you to stay and make his tea for him or something. He doesn't realize…how special you are."

Christy stared at him. "I think this has gone far enough." She turned and walked away until he grabbed her arm, spinning her back to him, pinned against his chest.

"This is just beginning," he said. He shoved her away from him and disappeared into the dancers. Christy stared in his wake. It was time for Plan B.