The Muppet Show Season 3 arrives May 20, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As far as I am aware (correct me if I'm wrong), the Muppet Show DVD sets have been selling very well. I think Disney would be dumb not to consider releasing more of their Muppet back catalogue once season 5 is finally on sale. Having said that, I know some people's feelings on how the Muppets have been treated by Disney, especially early on.
It's just that I've seen from experience that good sales don't always mean a company will continue releasing items. I don't want to be negative, it is still definitely possible. But it's still in question when it really shouldn't be.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
It's just that I've seen from experience that good sales don't always mean a company will continue releasing items. I don't want to be negative, it is still definitely possible. But it's still in question when it really shouldn't be.
I understand what you mean. The amount of money that Disney spent on buying the complete rights to the Muppets and the back catalogue. They should be releasing more than they are. Maybe they are weighing up being cautious with their releases against saturating the market. It would be difficult getting the balance right I guess.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I disagree. Let's call the features what they really are...bonus features. For me, the important thing is having the series on DVD. Especially since there are a ton of episodes here that I haven't seen in 25+ years. Having the commercials, the featurette on the performers, etc. is just a bonus.

You're right. Disney doesn't have to do anything. they could very well make a cheap product that didn't have anything on it at all. Heck, because of of all the music licensing that goes into each set they'd be justified in not doing anything else.

But they ARE putting things on. They are putting on vintage commercials and featurettes about the performers. They've contacted someone who knows more about the body of Jim Henson's work than anyone else.

So I don't think they're potential that's not being used. I think that's been true in the past certain but I think they've realised that and are working to fix that.

--Matt
Seconded. Or thirded. I mean, Disney hasn't a single special feature on its own Disney afternoon sets (not even so much as a voice actor interview or even a couple TV spots). The only special thing about the Tick DVD's was that Ben Edlund actually drew the covers (at least of season 1). Episodes are even missing on them for some reason. The truth is, they could have just released them all in the fashion of S1, cut music numbers. And no special features at all. But look what we got on the first 2 sets...

A new taped intro to the disks (each disk has 2 ), a rare pilot, and some other little things. Even the taped intros on the disks were good enough for me. Even the special features on the Sesame Old School have been just bonus skits and one rare pilot.

Only thing I'm concerned about at this point is that they release the whole series uncut. The bonuses are just bonuses.

I know and it's frustrating. Copyright laws, in theory, are intended to protect the artist, or make it possible for their work to be heard on a large scale. But lately the laws just end up depriving the audience.
Something I really hate. I still don't know why companies go after Day Care centers with unlicensed murals, but they somehow miss the "Spingebob Squorepants" and "James Spaderman" toys coming from Taiwan that they sell in shifty dollar stores. I mean, if the artist owns their own music and says, "no we don't want to let you use it" I respect it (unless it's the Happy Birthday people. They're just being greedy at this point). But when it's a company saying "we own the songs, and we'd rather it go to some sketchy commercial about male drugs or denture adheasive than someone who actually cares about the music," they're inviting the illegal pirates with their greed and callousness.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Only thing I'm concerned about at this point is that they release the whole series uncut. The bonuses are just bonuses.
I definitely do want the whole series uncut released. Thing is, I guess I don't like the pilots and other specials and documentaries being considered just bonuses.

And I don't like Disney thinking no one cares.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
heralde said:
And I don't like Disney thinking no one cares.
If Disney didn't care, I highly doubt they would even be trying to put stuff in as bonus features (which they ARE), and I highly, highly doubt they would've brought in Craig Shemin to give his recommendations on what should and shouldn't be on the sets. Disney IS trying, they're just having a hard time accomplishing the things they're trying to do.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I did say earlier that copyright issues are one part of the problem. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I suppose it's better than not having copyright laws at all...at least that's what I hope. Lol

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Well I suppose it's better than not having copyright laws at all...at least that's what I hope. Lol
That's exactly how you would feel if it was a piece of music you had composed and a show you weren't interested in or didn't like wanted to use it. It's only from our points of view that it seems mean to not let Disney use them for our beloved Muppets!

Drtooth

Reaction score
If Disney didn't care, I highly doubt they would even be trying to put stuff in as bonus features (which they ARE), and I highly, highly doubt they would've brought in Craig Shemin to give his recommendations on what should and shouldn't be on the sets. Disney IS trying, they're just having a hard time accomplishing the things they're trying to do.

I bite my tongue for saying they didn't care earlier. They clearly do. It sums it up if they didn't care, they wouldn't even put features on it, and not even work to get the songs in tact. If there's one thing Disney has been doing right, it's the TMS DVD releases.

Well I did say earlier that copyright issues are one part of the problem.
Copyrights are made so people don't profiteer off other people's ideas, and I just don't see it utilized that way. I see ripoffs and knockoofs all over, and they only care about short youtube videos and day care murals. I really wish that these companies would work together for the Muppet stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.