The Muppet Show Season 3 arrives May 20, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telly

Reaction score
I'd like to note that I feel vintage extras from the time of the recordings are much more welcome than something like the "Keep Fishing" video from Weezer.
I do agree, but yet, I love that song and video! Yeah though. Vintage stuff is a tad cooler.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I disagree. Let's call the features what they really are...bonus features. For me, the important thing is having the series on DVD. Especially since there are a ton of episodes here that I haven't seen in 25+ years. Having the commercials, the featurette on the performers, etc. is just a bonus.

You're right. Disney doesn't have to do anything. they could very well make a cheap product that didn't have anything on it at all. Heck, because of of all the music licensing that goes into each set they'd be justified in not doing anything else.

But they ARE putting things on. They are putting on vintage commercials and featurettes about the performers. They've contacted someone who knows more about the body of Jim Henson's work than anyone else.

So I don't think they're potential that's not being used. I think that's been true in the past certain but I think they've realised that and are working to fix that.

--Matt
Quoted for truth. I completely agree. Thank you very much for posting that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I suspect that one of the problems they have is trying to get the rights to some of the (potential) archive material may not be achievable; remember TMS was an ATV production not a Disney production and so trying to get access to material from the UK (if it still exists) may be an impossibility.

One feature I hope does make it is the 60 Minutes interview.
I know and it's frustrating. Copyright laws, in theory, are intended to protect the artist, or make it possible for their work to be heard on a large scale. But lately the laws just end up depriving the audience.

And it's true that Bonus Features are intended to be just extras and not the final product. But these older specials and documentaries aren't just "extras", they were well made pieces of entertainment that should be given attention and respect as well. But it's unlikely they will ever be released on their own (though of course you never know). The logically place for them to go is on these Muppet Show season sets, and it's just not happening to the extent that it should.

So it's not so much that I'm upset about a lack of Bonus Features. It's that I'm worried that audiences will never get to see so many of these older programs again, or ever. Muppets go to the Movies was just as good as any episode, but who will ever get to see it? That "I Love Liberty" appearance is classic, but the only time I've been able to see it is at The Museum of TV and Radio. Most people will never see it again, or ever.

Again, at the moment I'm just concerned. I'm waiting to hear about the final product. :smile:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Muppets go to the Movies was just as good as any episode, but who will ever get to see it?
It was released on its own on video in 1987 so there is every chance we will see it on DVD at some point. Also, specials like The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show, The Muppets At Walt Disney World and Secrets Of The Muppets should not cause too much of a copyright problem for release on DVD. Other people's shows that featured the Muppets as guests may be more of a problem.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I do agree, but yet, I love that song and video! Yeah though. Vintage stuff is a tad cooler.
Yeah, the video is great, especially the fact that it is based in the Muppet theatre. I don't think it really fit too well among the classic 1977/1978 Muppet material. Maybe it would have worked slightly better on a Muppets Tonight release.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Also, I think Muppets Go to the Movies was only released in the UK. As great as the US is, there is this attitude with companies that they won't produce items that they think aren't "mainstream" enough.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I will keep hope. But I'll also believe it when I see it. :wink:
I don't understand why Disney haven't released the Muppets At Walt Disney World special already. It would surely be in their interest. It is basically a feature length advertisement after all. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm just concerned that they'll just stop producing items once the sets are done. Maybe I'll write to customer service. It may not be much, but it's better than complaining and doing nothing, hehe.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I'm just concerned that they'll just stop producing items once the sets are done. Maybe I'll write to customer service. It may not be much, but it's better than complaining and doing nothing, hehe.
As far as I am aware (correct me if I'm wrong), the Muppet Show DVD sets have been selling very well. I think Disney would be dumb not to consider releasing more of their Muppet back catalogue once season 5 is finally on sale. Having said that, I know some people's feelings on how the Muppets have been treated by Disney, especially early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.