The Muppet Show Season 3 arrives May 20, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

peyjenk

Reaction score
Aaaah, that clears up a lot.

Anyone who is married to Stephanie D'Abruzzo can't be too bad, now can they? :smile:

Thanks!

ploobis

Reaction score
I've met Craig Shemin before. He's a great guy, He once told me that he felt really bad about having to cut out the Kermit scenes from the special edition Emmet Otter DVD.

matleo

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but who is Craig Shemin?

he's a Muppet-writer who is also very involved in the Henson Legacy. He's the guy responsible for the BAM Henson filmfest in 2004, the Long Island festival last summer, and the producer of the BTS documentary on the Emmet Otter DVD.

His role on the TMS DVDs is like I said to pretty help them figure out stuff that could potentially go on the discs. As hI understand it, he provided them a list of things to put on there (the Pigs in Space NASA greetings, Of Muppets and Men, various commercial and tv appearances, possible documentaries, etc.) and Disney is saying yes/no and then he's working with them (and Henson) to make those things happen.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

--Matt

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I definitely wish Craig Shemin luck with the negotiations, it must be difficult. But the BTS documentary of Emmet Otter was great! :smile:

I am going to wait and hear more detailed reviews of Season 3. It's great to have the actual episodes out, but the special features are worrying me. There's so much potential that's not being used. These sets are expensive and unfortunately lately I've felt it necessary to be more discriminating with Muppet products. Just buying everything will just give Disney the impression nothing is wrong.

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
I get what you are saying...

... but the special features are worrying me. There's so much potential that's not being used. These sets are expensive and unfortunately lately I've felt it necessary to be more discriminating with Muppet products. Just buying everything will just give Disney the impression nothing is wrong.
But at the same time. Disney dosent release anything Muppet related (with the exceptions of TMS season box sets, and those 4 Muppet Movies YEARS back to celebrate Kermits 50th) so when need to get while we can. To show Disney that "There are still Muppet fans out there, who WILL buy items if they are released!" So I believe that to stop buying the sets will show Disney that it is pointless to do thing with The Muppets. (JUST MY SIDE)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So I believe that to stop buying the sets will show Disney that it is pointless to do thing with The Muppets. (JUST MY SIDE)
I know, that is definitely a possibility. But on the other hand, letting them know that they can release these sets without putting as much effort to the special features just sends the message we don't mind. And to be honest, I do. I don't want just anything to be released. And based on experience, just because people buy these things, doesn't necessarily mean Disney will be any more interested in putting out more.

Like I said, I haven't decided anything yet. I'll wait and see. :smile:

David French

Reaction score
I definitely wish Craig Shemin luck with the negotiations, it must be difficult. But the BTS documentary of Emmet Otter was great! :smile:

I am going to wait and hear more detailed reviews of Season 3. It's great to have the actual episodes out, but the special features are worrying me. There's so much potential that's not being used. These sets are expensive and unfortunately lately I've felt it necessary to be more discriminating with Muppet products. Just buying everything will just give Disney the impression nothing is wrong.
But at the same time. Disney dosent release anything Muppet related (with the exceptions of TMS season box sets, and those 4 Muppet Movies YEARS back to celebrate Kermits 50th) so when need to get while we can. To show Disney that "There are still Muppet fans out there, who WILL buy items if they are released!" So I believe that to stop buying the sets will show Disney that it is pointless to do thing with The Muppets. (JUST MY SIDE)
I know, that is definitely a possibility. But on the other hand, letting them know that they can release these sets without putting as much effort to the special features just sends the message we don't mind. And to be honest, I do. I don't want just anything to be released. And based on experience, just because people buy these things, doesn't necessarily mean Disney will be any more interested in putting out more.

Like I said, I haven't decided anything yet. I'll wait and see. :smile:
I suspect that one of the problems they have is trying to get the rights to some of the (potential) archive material may not be achievable; remember TMS was an ATV production not a Disney production and so trying to get access to material from the UK (if it still exists) may be an impossibility.

One feature I hope does make it is the 60 Minutes interview.

matleo

Reaction score
I am going to wait and hear more detailed reviews of Season 3. It's great to have the actual episodes out, but the special features are worrying me. There's so much potential that's not being used. These sets are expensive and unfortunately lately I've felt it necessary to be more discriminating with Muppet products.

I disagree. Let's call the features what they really are...bonus features. For me, the important thing is having the series on DVD. Especially since there are a ton of episodes here that I haven't seen in 25+ years. Having the commercials, the featurette on the performers, etc. is just a bonus.

You're right. Disney doesn't have to do anything. they could very well make a cheap product that didn't have anything on it at all. Heck, because of of all the music licensing that goes into each set they'd be justified in not doing anything else.

But they ARE putting things on. They are putting on vintage commercials and featurettes about the performers. They've contacted someone who knows more about the body of Jim Henson's work than anyone else.

So I don't think they're potential that's not being used. I think that's been true in the past certain but I think they've realised that and are working to fix that.

--Matt

Telly

Reaction score
Heck, I'd be fine with JUST the episodes...even with minor cuts!

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Heck, I'd be fine with JUST the episodes...even with minor cuts!
I think I would have prefered the first season complete without extras rather than what we got. I love the extra stuff but complete episodes with the original openings and closings are more important. Any extras that can then be aquired are great but not essential. Also, I'd like to note that I feel vintage extras from the time of the recordings are much more welcome than something like the "Keep Fishing" video from Weezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.