1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The Muppets are getting worse

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Kaiser Gonzo, Feb 16, 2006.

1. spcglider

spcglider Member

Well, there's nothing wrong with insisting on better.

The Muppets have one big problem at the moment: they have no leader. They have nobody with a singular vision to lead them. What they have right now is a bunch of marketing strategists trying to quantify them so they can pidgeon-hole them into a money-making formula.

But we all know better.

It don't work like that. You cannot place a gallon of liquid creativity into a pidgeon-hole without giving it a flexible container first. I know that's a bit obtuse, but it really does apply.

There is nothing wrong with the fans of the Muppets insisting on better. Nothing at all. The pathetic efforts so far (including trying to make us think that the Muppets in commercials is proper "exposure") SHOULD be questioned and rejected if you feel so inclined.

Are we really serving the best interests of our favorite characters if we simply accept any dreck with the Muppet name on it? I think we have a responsibility as consumers to accept GOOD material with thanks, but I also think it is our part of the dynamic to let them knwo when we think they've let us down.

If we don't, how do they know they aren't failing?

-Gordon

2. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

I do rather dislike the raunchy air that some of the humor takes in the made for tv stuff (like, the nipples comment on Oz, I felt that was rather unneccessary). The muppets have always been clean, family friendly comedy, and then they go and throw that stuff in. That irks me.

3. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Thank you. Its good to know that there are still a few people who, like me, feel that traditionalism is more important and of immeasurably higher quality than the modern garbage the Muppet characters have been subjected to.

I've been saying this for oh, 4 years or so now. Frogster's old thread about the Muppets retiring is a good example of my more complete views on this subject, which is a focal point of my philosophy regarding the work of Jim Henson.

4. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

The Muppets used to be kind of rebellious in some way. Like, testing the boundries of night adult television using puppets. Not in any controversial matter, just in a new way. But now they seem like they are just used as commercial, talking props, or teen appeal. Seems like the spirit has almost been drained. Almost sickening. But there's still hope.

5. Kaiser Gonzo

Kaiser Gonzo New Member

I'm not trying to be all pesamistic, but let the muppets retire, i mean that, what is the point of letting marketing tychoons drag them on, and on and on, i would be very very sad if they retired but it is the best possible thing for the muppets.

6. Kaiser Gonzo

Kaiser Gonzo New Member

i see it like this, if say Jim carey died and some film company wanted to make a Jim Carrey movie and they go find a guy that looks and sounds abit like Jim carrey, and they ask him to star as Jim carrey in the film, of course it would'nt be good, its like this with the muppets, Jim is sadly dead, frank has finished, Jerry has retired and richard is sadly dead, instead of cgoing around trying to find people that sound like them, and finding writers that write like Jerry Juhl (RIP) and puppet makers that make puppets like Don Sahlin, just stop, and et people enjoy the original material, come on let the real Jim stuff rule on!!!!!

7. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

I kind of agree, but let's keep Sesame Street on, cause it seems to be helping kids. Otherwise, yeah, Muppets should probably retire unless someone with a rully good vision takes over.

8. spcglider

spcglider Member

Like, say, umm...THE PINK PANTHER? I'm gonna HATE that movie even though I LOVE Steve Martin.

-G

9. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

I'm starting to wonder. Ever since they shifted the target age demographic it hasn't been the same. :(

(Of course I feel it serves a vital role in educational television, but still..)

10. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

I saw it. It's pretty good. It's a little different from the original. Steve Martin, of course, can't live up to Peter Sellers, but he did a pretty dang good job. :D

11. Kaiser Gonzo

Kaiser Gonzo New Member

i have'nt watched sesame street for ages so i can't really say what i think about the recnt shows, but i just hate, really hate Muppets Tonight. i think it ruined the muppets for a lot of people.

12. Kaiser Gonzo

Kaiser Gonzo New Member

and Kermits Swamp Years, MAN!!! a muppet film without piggy in, or gonzo, fozzie, rowlf, the electric mayhem, bunsen, beaker, beau etc.
    what a REALLy BIG!!! and i mean BIG, disappointment

13. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

I haven't seen Sesame Street recently either, but my neighbor went almost psycho crazy because she heard them use bad grammar and not even correct it. And by psycho crazy, I mean "WHAT IS SESAME STREET COMING TO!!!". I must agree. They should clean it up a bit. But it's otherwise a great educational show.

14. Marky

Marky Member

Actually, he joined Sesame Street in 1985 to do Elmo (you know, the little red Gungan Muppet whose taken the show hostage?). He had nothing to do with the original Muppet Show at all. He didn't cross into that world until the inconsistent 'Jim Henson Hour' where he brought the lame Clifford around.

But the Muppets are getting worse. To corporate, too American.

15. I think a good and fun way, Disney could bring the muppets back are to have them become Actors, not just Muppet Actors, but like, say a movie comes out, and it shows the cast and it sayd like "Sandra Bullok, Jhonny Deppe, Miss Piggy, and ........" you know! Like they could become big name stars, as if they were actors! Also they need in the Muppet movies to not make it try to be so funny, the others were funny for what they were, the didn't need to try, they were just them and that was good enough. Also, bring back Paul Williams and ask him to write the music for the muppet movies. They just arn't the same with out the Music, Like Disney movies, the one's with out the music, just don't have a Disney feel. Also Kemit seems like he has lost his star power, he doesn't seem to have the Manager feel anymore, like he's not in charge. They have made the main characters Gonzo and Pepe, who are better in the passanager seat. And like the new fozzie and piggy seem to be trying to hard to be the old Fozzie and Piggy, instead of just being fozzie and Piggy.
    I think they need to be more like the old days, but with the feel of the old days instead of being so modern you know?
    Thanks!:)

16. pepestarr

pepestarr New Member

I actually really enjoyed the later films. They havent got the spark but I think Eric is doing a good job of taking over from Frank. Fair enough he dosent match Frank but can anyone?

I agree about Paul Williams. The music he wrote for Muppet Xmas Carol was great! We need more of that instead of R and B in my opinion.

17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

On the contrary, I thought Kermit's Swamp Years was excellent.

18. spcglider

spcglider Member

Sorry to disagree with you Baba, but I couldn't more heartily.

The Muppets have lost their guiding light.

I have no doubt that another person of vision will eventually come along, as it did with Disney Animation so long ago. You have to admit, though Eisner turned out to be not such a great guy in the long run, he turned Disney around and got that company back on it's feet again. That takes vision.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hand the Muppets over to Eisner... not for all the tea in China... but there is somebody on this planet who can do the job.

If he wasn't so involved in PIXAR, Disney Animation, and Imagineering, I'd nominate John Lasseter.

-G

19. Marky

Marky Member

They may have tarinished from their glory days, and we all know why.

But come on now, their recent stuff is still likeable! There is worse stuff out there! I really liked (and own) Muppets From Space and It's a Very Merry Muppet... . I'll likely get around to buying Oz, too. I'd take those over nothing any day!

20. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

Well, personally, besdies Jim Henson obviously, I think it all kind of went to heck after Richard Hunt died. They said he was the reason for so much of the spirit of the Muppet Show, and I guess that turned out to be true.