1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

"The Muppets" Official Movie Trailer

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Frogpuppeteer, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

while i mostly usually always agree with your posts this time i must disagree, if only for the idea that i feel trailers show to much these days..many times ive watched trailers and then gone and seen the movie only to not be surprised because the trailers ruined parts for me
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I swear... if I see ONE more trailer that completely gives away the ending or a key plot point, I'm going to smack someone.

I get what he's saying... there's just so much more brilliant footage they used for the gag trailers they should have used. Trailer jokes NEVER work, where as the same jokes work in the context of the movie. To me, it isn't so much what they showed but how they showed it that didn't quite get there. I know what they were trying to go for with this trailer, trying to make it look like not the average kid's movie and yet trying to make it look like the big come back. Yet all similar to an action movie trailer.

Somehow the funnier parts seem ill timed, the heartfelt bits (the reference to Just one Person) seem lost... the trailer should have been better. The other 3 were. There's just something about this that needs something.
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

No one is saying you can't try. Just don't assume it will always succeed. Nor should you just accept the way it turned out, when you know it could have been better.
  5. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I believe that Goelz said that the nipple gag came from something he gave the Disney folks as an example of that Muppets wouldn't do, and they turned right around and used it.

For me the nipple gag itself wouldn't have been so bad, but Pepe's hysterical reaction sank it through the floor. If he'd just pulled his hands back sharply and said, "Uh, er, sorry, man," in embarrassment, it wouldn't have been so bad. At least with the shoe gag, the reaction (if it's not spliced from somewhere else in the movie) is essentially "You've got to be kidding!" Which is just how I felt.

As far as judging a movie by its trailer goes, yes, the trailer may not accurately represent the movie, but the whole purpose of a trailer is to represent the movie to the public in the hopes of piquing their interest. Thus, they show things that they think will make people say, "I want to see that!" Unfortunately, too many trailers seem to think that what the public wants is fart jokes, punch-in-the-crotch gags, etc. However, this is the Muppets. We want to see Muppets! We want to see The Muppets returning to their former glory, the way we remember them best, and (with a few sloppy exceptions) that is what this trailer is showing us. I have a sneaking suspicion that The Powers That Be may be taking note of our reactions, and might edit this trailer before it hits the theaters.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I do, have and always will enjoy the fleeting nipple joke in Oz.

Nipples, like bellybuttons, are funny items. I don't see why that should offend anyone other than the extremely repressed. I mean, what's next? Sticking Miss Piggy in a burka? The Muppets have always had cheeky moments. Some classic ones being more disturbing than one two-second like referring to nipples. But toilet or gross-out humor, that's a different matter. The Muppets have never needed to go there.

I still don't see why Fozzie has to call the shoes anything. Just wear them and make the noises. That's funny enough. Why must everything be on-the-nose?
    Frogster likes this.
  7. heralde

I think that says it all, lol.
  8. Frogpuppeteer

Heralde your being really negative and its a big ole buzz kill...i get that your optimistic and weary about this movie but come on...post something positive....your killing my muppet high
  9. heralde

I have said some optimstic things. I'm sorry you don't like my opinion. But optimistic opinions shouldn't be the only ones allowed on the board.

And I don't control your Muppet high. ;)
  10. Frogpuppeteer

its not that your opinion doesnt matter, because it most certainly does,,,and i never want to be one to tell people they cant express themselves in anyway possible and i totally give you every right to not like the movie once it comes out, or even say this particular trailer doesnt do it for you....but atleast give it a chance before you write it off...it seems like your looking for every negative section to point out and say not even the slighest nice thing even if its just...kermits a nice shade of green.
  11. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

this is a good nice to see and not a parody and always pausing to see the characters looks like muppets tonight shall appear saw pepe and big mean carl then beautiful day monster hooray i getting pumped oh and LIPS!!!!!!
  12. heralde

I have said nice things about the trailers but I can understand why you might not have noticed them. Compliments aren't really as noticeable as negative comments.

I have said I would give it a chance. That doesn't mean I can only say totally positive things.

And this thread should be about the trailer, not whose opinion is not fitting with others. No offence to you, I like what you've had to say. I just want to move on. :)
  13. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

Notice they flipped my idea that I posted on the forum here in 2009. We get Kermit as the failed Hollywood star and Piggy as the success. Even a shot of Kermit's (Sunset Blvdish) run down mansion gates which is the movie I mentioned they should parody from. Disney owes me at least 200 grand.
    Muppetfan44 likes this.
  14. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Somebody mentioned Lips being rebuilt. He was rebuilt a few years ago for the Christmas at Rockfellar Center appearance. Though in the trailer he looks more like the original puppet. I'm glad that they rebuilt Lips for this, even though they didn't need to. Unless the puppet in the Rockfellar appearance was actually the old puppet, looking different due to being worn out.

Why do I get the feeling that the Moopets will have some sort of villian role? I did notice a scene with what looked like a Fozzie counterpart, even though Fozzie joined the Moopets. Unless it was him in disguise.

I wonder if this will have a mix of music numbers and pop songs in the soundtrack (You get What You Give, We Built This City). Then again, the Muppets from Space trailer briefly included Rescue Me, which wasn't featured in the finished film.

I like Mary's "This is going to be a short movie" line. Like a reverse of "This is going to be a long movie". I guess the two were watching a movie in that scene... I wonder if it was a ficticious non-Muppet film, or if maybe they were watchign Muppets from Space (or Kermit's Swamp Years).

And I thought the fart shoes were funny. As long as that's the only bathroom humor in the movie.

And with all the known celebrity cameos, I am pleased to see that hardly any of them are in the trailer.
  15. Frogpuppeteer

i will say Gary/Segals throw of Walter "over" the fence is just awful....guy needs more practice
  16. TSSD

TSSD Active Member

I personally think that Kermit just turned down the idea for the telethon, and this is a breaking of the 4th wall.
  17. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

A random thought: unless I've missed something, we haven't seen The Moopets' version of Gonzo. It would make me very happy to see Trevor the Gross in that role. And it would also amuse me to no end to find out that the Miss Piggy analogue was a female impersonator. Sow impersonator? Drag boar, whatever.
  18. Frogpuppeteer

you know i have a theory about this if only cause in the trail "she" sounds maleish...its almost the same voice Victor Yerrid would use in greg the bunny when he played female chars
  19. FletchySRF3088

FletchySRF3088 Active Member

Same here. Before I first watched the trailer, I was expecting (and somewhat dreading) a big amount of cameos to show up in this too, but I was happy to see it being replete with Muppets for a change. For me personally, I'd had enough of the latest news on the movie constantly being the latest cameo announcement, regardless of whether I liked the person or not. I know at the end of the day, it all helps promote the movie and what-not but I just started to get tired of it. So these trailers have been like a breath of fresh air and this latest one is definetly the best of the bunch so far, IMO.

BTW, could someone enlighten me on "The Moopets"? It's the first I've heard of it. Is it some sort of plot info on the movie that's been discovered? Like Doppleganger versions of The Muppets? 'Cause I assumed that that certain shot of Fozzie, Rowlf, Janice and someone else in the trailer was just them in disguise. I've seen that Fozzie puppet in a Behind the scenes pic months ago too. But again, I just assumed it would be him in disguise.
  20. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

Maybe she says that as a way to persuade Kermit into saying "Yes" to doing the telethon, similar to the frog's attempts to get Mr. Tarkanian to let him, Fozzie and Gonzo go to England to interview Lady Holiday and catch the jewel thieves. :)

After all, if Kermit said "No", the movie would really end up being a short one indeed and the Muppets would never get back together. :(