1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The Muppets on SNL Dec. 18!

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by scooter289, Dec 18, 2004.

1. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Well-Known Member

I haven't watched SNL in a good while because the show has been bad. But when the epsiode repeats, I'll watch it to see the Muppets on there.

I don't think the Muppets have appeard on SNL since the first year.

ryan

2. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

There were multiple threads on the same subject so they were merged together to keep the SNL discussion in one place.

3. oh, well, i understand that part. that makes sence. but when i wrote this thread, it was the first one started.

ehh no biggy

I'm glad others were able to see the show :)

4. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

Zut! Or :cool: ! I missed it! We're on the road, and I didn't set Tivo to get it. Maybe it got it as a "suggestion" anyway. I can't believe the honest-to-goodness Kermit was on SNL. Yay! :)

5. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I saw the episode last night and loved it. The Christmas Song with Horatio was great. I loved that skit every other time they did it, but with Chris, Tracy, and Jimmy gone from the cast I thought it wound not be this year (unless they all came back for cameos), but the Muppets doing it was awesome! I wish I had taped it. :cry: I'll just have to check the listings for the Robert DeNiro episode in the repeats (it should repeat sometime before the season ends). It was great, I'm glad to see the Muppets are really coming back in the spotlight. This was one of the best Muppet apperiances I've seen. If anyone has video or audio from the episode and could post downloads of the songs I would be eternially greatfull, if not I'll wait till the rerun.

6. AruggeRadio

AruggeRadio Member

I watch SNL almost every week. I'm still a big fan of it and think this current cast has a few big stars in the works. Unfortunately beyond the Muppet Stuff the show as a whole was pretty sub-par even Weekend Update boomed which hasn't happened that i can remember sense Tina Fey took over the desk. SNL to me will always be the Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers erra, but these guys are trying.

One question i have is dose anyone know why the Muppets were on the show? I have thought over the past few years SNL has been pretty hard on the Muppets. Not just with that Sketch they had last year with Timberlake but most of the SNL writers also work on Conan. Conan show (Which i very much so like) has had a thing for making fun of the Muppets. With Barfing Kermit and that awful Faces of Death Muppets thing were they did some pretty disturbing things with Muppet Dolls its just strange.

Although i thought it was fun having the Muppets back on SNL. For some it must have been like the old days even though Jim, Frank nor any of the troop from those days was involved.

Overall i thought it was a good chance to see the Muppets in a very fun environment and also a treat for any of us who were at Muppet Fest 3 years ago this weekend. At the curtain call i was happy the Muppeters didn't hide, a nice unexpected Christmas treat.

7. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Even the Muppeteers can laugh at themselves. Even though SNL has made fun of the Muppets (and Conan, which is also in the same building and many Conan folk have worked for SNL including Conana, and many SNL folk have worked for Conan) they still can take a joke, and know it is in good fun. In my opinion, none of the Muppet jokes made by SNL (or Conan) have been crule or disrespectful. Although irreverant and off-color; the jokes are all in fun and some would say it's an honor or tribute (like a roast). Even I have been known to make jokes about the Muppets and I don't hate them one bit. I think the Muppeteers understand it's a joke and would not hold it against them; plus who would pass up a chance to be on SNL?

Although none of the Muppeteers from last night were ever on the original SNL skits with Jim, and hardly any of the SNL staff from that era is still around (I think some of the producers are it); you can still feel the love the SNL'ers have for the Muppets. I hope the Muppets can return to SNL in the future, and maybe even one day host. I think that the SNL'ers really respect the Muppets, even if they do joke about them.

8. AruggeRadio

AruggeRadio Member

I agree. I think you could have a very fun episode of SNL were Kermit hosts. It would be a great way to give them exposure to an audience that already loves them. I honestly don't think that SNL or Conan have been disrespectful, I just think there some of the stranger stuff they have done. But i agree SNL is a great opportunity and a fun treat.

9. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

Luckily, I managed to tape that whole SNL show while I was asleep last night. And I got all 3 scenes with the Muppets in them. I'd be glad to mail you a copy of the tape. Just contact me at culpit70@yahoo.com

Also, I'll be happy to trade the SNL tape with anyone who has The Muppets on Good Morning America, Dec. 15, 2004 on tape.

10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Heck yeah, I was there! Woot, 3 years ago 2 weeks ago for Muppetfest!
    But this is a pretty big news even from my perspective...this shows Disney is willing to take a chance. I was worried that any and all hip or edgyness was to be zapped out of the Muppets...also this marks the first time in almost 30 years the Muppets have been on SNL. When my friend told me about this, at first I thought he meant fake parody versions.

Anyways, between this and the GMA thing, and of course Muppets xmas day broadcast its a good time.

11. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

12. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

I heard on another thread here that Piggy was supposed to be on, but then it just said that that was for laughs and to make her look more famous. But one of the reasons I haven't missed SNL for the longest time is for a chance to see the Muppets on there. And on December 18, exactly seven years after Chris Farley died, there they were; Kermit, Fozzie, Animal and Gonzo, singing one of the greatest current Christmas songs with one of my favorite performers on SNL. I cannot tell you how excited I was, and luckily I was recording it. I knew when all I saw was Horatio on stage, plus a fake brick background, that Kermit would be involved somehow. And when he said, "My guys can do it," I got excited when the camera showed the other three guys. I must have watched that segment over a dozen times now. Why? Because there's something in it that reminds me so much of how the Muppet Show was done. Kermit's Santa hat spinning, Fozzie playing the keyboard, Animal shouting "Hans and Franz," and Gonzo doing his little shimmy, just like Tracy Morgan. It was so enjoyable to watch. The segment was the very last sketch of the night, and the only other time you saw them (besides the goodnights) was when Kermit and DeNiro sang. I really hope to see them as hosts on SNL around May when The Muppet's Wizard of Oz comes out. That would simply be the best! :) :halo:

13. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

14. Docnzhoss

Docnzhoss Active Member

Oh my Oreo-Loving goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are my hero for providing that link!!!!!!!!!!!! That is just beyond cool!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't really hear the song at all but I don't even care, that was just the coolest thing SNL has done in a long time. Merry Christmas to you, Vic Romano, and thank you for making my day!

15. AndyWan Kenobi

Oh hooray! I'm not near my cable modem, but this has got to be worth downloading over 56k. Thanks for the link!!

:)

16. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Well-Known Member

Oh, sweet! That's awesome!

17. AndyWan Kenobi

That was great! So glad to have seen it--thanks again for the link!

I'm having myself a merry little Christmas...

18. ColonelErnie

ColonelErnie New Member

Curtain Call

Does anyone have the curtain call as a file? It'd be nice to see the puppeteers.

Anyone? Anyone?

19. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Glad I could help, but don't thank me, it was The Count who made me aware of the link, I just went and found it where he said it was. So while I'd like to take all the credit, this one goes to him... but I'll take a little bit of the credit :)

20. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Count. I missed it when it was on, so it was good that I had a chance to see that.