The Muppets Wizrad of Oz: ONE YEAR LATER

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
unclematt. Secondly said:
to them doing nothing but a bunch of horrible Tv comericals, and disapearing yet agian from the public eye, after all the media attention and fanfare the MWOO got,after it was aired ,and almost universally panned by critics and fans alike it pretty much sent them back into disney's vault ,

unclematt

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
to them doing nothing but a bunch of horrible Tv comericals, and disapearing yet agian from the public eye, after all the media attention and fanfare the MWOO got,after it was aired ,and almost universally panned by critics and fans alike it pretty much sent them back into disney's vault ,
Things do not happen overnight. Things also change. Disney will utilize the Muppets but things take time to plan and get the right people behind. Please be patient with the Muppets and do not rip them apart for doing commercials or movies that you were not satisfied with. Lets be happy that they are still around for us to enjoy.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
i wish i was a glass is have full kinda guy,

i still see no evidence that disney has the creative people it needs to make them muppets live again, nothing they have done in the last few years short of Pixar has given me any reason to believ other wise

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
i wish i was a glass is have full kinda guy,

i still see no evidence that disney has the creative people it needs to make them muppets live again, nothing they have done in the last few years short of Pixar has given me any reason to believ other wise
Consider, though, that the creative influence of Pixar at Disney is rumored to be much stronger since the acquisition. I'm optimistic that this will affect the Muppets in a positive way.

aaronmojo

Reaction score
I wasn't posting a year ago, so I didn't chime in then, but I gotta say I didn't like the movie on TV. I didn't even get thru the whole thing. I don't have any great desire to seek it out on DVD.

I think what isn't there (or in any of the newer Muppet stuff) is the same thing missing from new Looney Tunes or new Star Wars movies, and I am probably stating the obvious here. The passion and drive of the creator just isn't evident (even when, in the case of the new Star Wars, the original creator is there). There was so much of Henson in the old Muppet stuff, his relationships with fellow Muppeteers, his creative drive, his "stamp" on everything, that I don't know if they will ever recapture that elusive "Muppet spirit" (though parts of that Christmas special came close).

What Disney views the Muppets as (from what I've seen and read) is someone else's thing that they hope to make some money off of. Holding auditions hoping to get people in there that will turn in dynamite performances is well and good, but you still don't have that same old spirit. It's the same feeling I get when someone does a new Bugs Bunny cartoon. It looks and sounds good and I might even chuckle, but it doesn't have that little thing that is impossible to put your finger on, but you know when it's there, and you know when it isn't.

And from what I saw, it wasn't there in The Muppets' Wizard of Oz. But what do I know? I'm just some guy watching TV.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
aaronmojo said:
...but it doesn't have that little thing that is impossible to put your finger on, but you know when it's there, and you know when it isn't.

And from what I saw, it wasn't there in The Muppets' Wizard of Oz. But what do I know? I'm just some guy watching TV.
You know, I said something simialr a while back about it. Uh...forget which thread, anyway, I think what was missing was pure muppet comedy and mayhem. But I'm not really picky. If its the muppets, I'll buy it. but yes, I definatly agree the MWoO was missing something. And actually, when i first saw it, I had never been as big of a muppet fan as I am now (I can thank my dad's christmas present, TMS season 1, for that :wink:), and even then when I didnt know too much about the muppets, something was telling me the movie was indeed missing something.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
hey gang,

as you may know TODAY (May 20) was ONE year ago that Disney's "The Muppets Wizard of Oz" air on ABC (May 20, 2005). As was rommard it WAS goin to re-run on ABC, ABC Family and Disney Channel... NEVER did but ONCE back in Janurary 2006 on Disney Channel and that WAS IT!!!

What are your feeling toward the movie? are they STILL the same or diffrent? Would you like to see it air again (I looked and ITS NOT airing on ABC, ABC Family, Disney Chennel or even Toon Disney tonight, i thought it would have)

Me... i STILL do enjoy seeing the movie. The origanl TV airing was... ok! (dude to cuts) but I STILL think the DVD was 100 x better!

whats your toughts?! :smile:

This leads to the question..
What is Disney trimng to to with the Muppets??
The only time I see them is every once and a while.
Is disney tring to destroy Jim Henson's Famed Frog??
Or is Disney gearing up for a Muppet surprize.

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
I haven't seen The Muppets Wizard of Oz yet as it isn't available in Australia. I would love to see it. There is no release date for it in Australia. I could buy it on ebay but my dvd only plays australian dvds.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
rumtar_10165 said:
This leads to the question..
What is Disney trimng to to with the Muppets??
The only time I see them is every once and a while.
Is disney tring to destroy Jim Henson's Famed Frog??
Or is Disney gearing up for a Muppet surprize.
I dont think Disney would intentionally try to destroy the muppets reputation. I think that they are trying to see IF the muppets can compete with todays entertainment, and seeing if the muppets are popular enough to last. I dont know about you guys, but I've noticed that kermit and pepe (and others) have been appearing alot more on disney channel (in those micky wand thingamabobers)

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Exactly Sgt Floyd. That's what they're trying to do, I for one love Muppets in adult humor and want to see more of it, but not to the point of where we are seeing rapping muppets saying cuss words in every sentence, the muppets have always kept up with times.