The New Gig

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
At the same night where Kermit and company watched the Electric Mayhem perform in a music video, the band itself was in Ed Zwellen's office.

"Excellent job people. People are calling in and loving every minute of the music video." Zwellen said. "Your popularity is taking off."

"Like wow, this is so awesome." Janice said. "I can't believe people love us."

"It's great isn't it. And now I want you guys to do another concert." Zwellen suggested.

"Concert? We just had one a week ago and just did the video. We don't want to over extend ourselves here." Lips said, trying to see what Zwellen's reaction would be.

'I realise that, but I want you people to be everywhere. I want you all to be hot and on top of things.' Zwellen said answering Lips question.

"Well, I guess if you think that is wise man." Floyd said, adding his opinion.

"If we're going to do another concert, then let's do a few more songs that we've been wanting to do for a while now." Dr. Teeth suggested.

"I actually have something else in store." Zwellen said.

Zwellen passed several sheets of music to the band members. The band looked at the music puzzeled.

"Um, like this is not a song we typically do." Janice said.

"Ya man, this is not us. We don't do this style of music." said Zoot going with Janice's opinion.

"Well according to what people want in terms of music, this will suit them. This concert will be for the young people. Zwellen said.

"With all do respect, young people now a days listen to crap all the time. They don't know anything about good music." Dr. Teeth commented.

"They know crap, they know crap!!!!!" yelled Animal.

"That maybe, but you're still doing the concert how I want it. And lets not forget, you're under a contract, my contract. I tell you what to do and you do it." Zwellen said pushing his point across to the band. "Do you get what I'm saying?"

The band looked at each other. Kermit never made them do a song they didn't want to do. Obviosuly Zwellen controlled the game. He had the upper hand. They couldn't do anything. If they walked out, they'd get sued since they were under contract.

"Fine, we'll play it your way." Dr. Teeth said, in a very harsh tone.

The band walked out leaving Zwellen alone in his office. He smiled, and looked at the sheet of music the band was going to play for the concert. They had tested him for the first time and they realised he was in control.

Meanwhile back in the Muppet theater, the show was over with but Kermit assmbled the troops. They all sat in the seats in the audience trying to figure out why Kermit decided to call a meeting when he hasn't had on in a while. Kermit was sitting at the edge of the stage.

"As you all know I was hit hard after the band left." I appolgize for my actions during the course of these last few weeks." Kermit sympathetically said.

"It's okay Kermit, we all know you were depressed. We're here for you." Fozzie said reasuringly.

"Thanks Fozzie." kermit said to his old friend.

"And we'll take pay cuts too." Beauregard added.

"Pay cuts? We're not financially in trouble Beau." Clifford said.

"Oppsy, wrong fan fic!" said Beauregard.

"I don't get it. I'm confused." Rowlf said.

"That's okay, so am I." Beau said making even less sense.

"Anyway, because of my actions, I'm going to relieve myself from this job for a while."

Everyone looked at each other, shocked on what Kermit just said. They started talking. The room was getting louder.

"Hold it!!!!!!!!!!!' Yelled Fozzie. "Go ahead Sam."

"Thank you. Kermit, you can't quit. You're an American and americans don't quit." Sam said dramatically. "Did Washington quit? No. Did Lincoln quit?" No. Did Paris Hilton quit?".....

Everyone was shocked with horror with what Sam just said.

"Okay bad example, but she should have quit a long time ago." Sam added. "But the truth is, they didn't quit and neither should you."

"Look I'm sorry, I really am. But this is something I have to do." Kermit said. "I here by give all of my duties and responsibilities to my right hand man Scooter."

Scooter looked surprised as did everybody else who looked at Scooter and then back at Kermit.

"Where are you going to go Kermie?" questioned Piggy. "You can't leave moi alone."

"I'll still be at the boarding house, just not here. I just can't function as the leader of this place." Kermit said answering Piggys question.

"Poor Uncle Kermit." Robin said to himself feeling sad for his uncle who he looked up at as someone who never quit.

And with that Kermit walked back to the back stage. Everyone started to talk to each other. The room got loud. Scooter got out of his seat and stood to face everybody.

"Okay people, lets get home and get some rest." Scooter ordered the troops.

Everybody got up out of their seats and moved out of the theater. However, Rowlf, Piggy, Fozzie, and Gonzo moved towards each other before leaving.

"Now we must do something." Piggy said to Rowlf.

"I agree. We need to talk to him and get him to focus back on the show." Rowlf said.

"But how? It would take a miracle to get Kermit back to his old self. He doesn't seem to care for the show anymore." Fozzie said.

"Maybe we can hypnotize him to focus on the show and then hypnotize him into letting me do some of the craziest acts ever attempted by anybody!" Gonzo replied.

"Gonzo!!!" They all yelled at him.

"How about we talk to him, one on one." Scooter suggested.

They all looked at Scooter who joined them in their converstaion. They all nodded. They needed their leader and friend back as soon as possible.

ryan

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
HA!!!!!! "oopsy, wrong fan fic!" I LOVE IT!

Ok I love the other stuff too. I feel SO BAD for the EM, and I really just wanna give Kermit a good shake right now and shout "SNAP OUT OF IT, MAN!" ...ok so if I really had the opportunity to talk to Kermit, that's NOT what I would do, but you get the point. But I have to say, you have Kermit almost exactly where he's headed in my fanfic... oops, I think I just dropped a hint... talk about "oopsy wrong fan fic"... I think I'll just go back to my own little world now where I can't hurt anything...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Thanks, I notice that Kermit in my story is also depressed like he is in your story, although the Kermit in my story is depressed because the band has left.

Thanks for the repsonse! I know other people are reading this story, at least I think they are?

This story is almost finished, but not quite.

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
The next morning the Electric Mayhem were at the 4th floor at the stage praciting for their concert, which was going to be tonight. Ed Zwellen had left a note for one of the bellhops to give the band when they woke up, which was the originally 7:30 am.

The band started to play the song they had to play which was "Master of Puppets" by Metallica. None of them looked happy when they were playing it. Suddelnly Floyd stopped playing the song, then the song started to fall apart.

"Hey man, this song ain't us. Why do we have to play this anyway?" Floyd questioned angrily.

"It was bad enough that we had to dress up in those silly costumes for that song we did for the music video." Zoot added.

"Like I kind of like my Indian make up. It made me look all pretty and groovy, rully." Janice said.

"I know this isn't turing out to be a great plan, and I know we hate playing this song, but we got to do it. We need to keep it together." Dr. teeth said speaking as the leader of the band.

"Together, together!" Animal shouted.

"You know, you sound like the frog." Floyd said.

"I guess after all these years, I was bound to pick up some stuff from him." Dr. Teeth responded to Floyds comment. "Alright then, from the top."

The band started to play the song. They hated it. It sounded like garbage. this wasn't the the type of music they usually play. This wasn't rock and roll. This was heavy metal, not their brand of music.

Looking from back stage was Bryan and Ryan, Zwellens two goons.

"They're buckling under the pressure." Ryan said.

"They hate this, they can't play the song. Mr. Zwellen will be pleased." Bryan added.

They both started to laugh and then walked away and headed back to give their report to Zwellen.

The band continued to play until Animal started to go crazy on the drums. He threw his sticks to the ground and started beating the drums and throwing them.

"Beat drums!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!" Animal shouted.

"Woah, woah, woah, what are you doing." Lips asked.

"He's destroying his instrument, like most of the heavy metal bands do." Floyd said.

"Nobody ain't touchin my saxaphone. I refuse to destroy my baby." Zoot said.

He looked at his saxaphone some more and held on to it tight.

"My precious, you're all mine." Zoot said. He then looked at everyone, including Animal who had stopped destroying his drums and looked at Zoot who was acting odd.

"Oops, I said that out loud didn't I." Zoot asked the band.

"You've been watching those movies with those hobbits and that ring way to much." Dr. Teeth said.

"Definitely a big fer sure on that." Janice said.

ryan

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Love the Lord of the Rings reference. Poor band, I wanna grab that contract and tear it to shreds. Set 'em free. Then give them all hugs. And directions to the Muppet Theater.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Hey Ryan, sorry I have been reading it, I just haven't had much time to comment on it! It's a really great story and I hope everything works out for the band! And I love your subtle references, they're really great! Keep it up, I want to see what happens next!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
A few days later, everyone was at the Muppet boarding house. It was about a little after 10:30 that night. Rowlf, Johnny, Sal, Sam, Dr. Strangepork, and Bean were watching television. Scooter was preparing the show that was going to come in a few days. Bunsen and Beaker were in the basement doing scientific experiements or whatever they do down there.

Fozzie was reading the comics. Rizzo, Pepe, Clifford, Gonzo, Zippity Zap, and Bobo were playing cards. Link was combing his hair in the mirror, as usual. The Swedish chef was cooking some food while Harry was blasting the kitchen. Beauregard and George were trying to clean the mess in the kitchen. Pops was reading his usual newspaper. Piggy and Robin on the other hand were in Kermits room. Kermit had barely come out of his room since he handed things over to Scooter. Kermit was laying in his bed.

"Kermie, you got to come out of here. Everybody is worried about you." Piggy said, trying to get Kermit to agree.

"Uncle Kermit, listen to what Miss Piggy is saying. We miss you and we want you to come out of this room." Robin said.

"You know, I've just about had it with you two. This entire speech you and the others have been giving me is something I don't want to hear about or care for." Kermit said, raising the tone in his voice. "I've heard this nonsense from Rowlf Fozzie, Scooter, Gonzo, and now you two. I'm getitng tired of you all and your attempt to try to help me. I don't need any help."

Piggy and Robin looked at each other. They've never heard Kermit talk like this before.

"Fine frog, just sit there and reflect on what happened between you and the Electric Mayhem and sit there and be all depressed." Piggy angrily said.

"Uncle Kermit, we all care for you, we're a family. But this kind of behavior you have is not you." Robin said helping to add what Piggy began. "Forgive me for saying this to you, but you're acting like an idiot, just because something happened."

"Kermit, we all know how much you miss Dr. Teeth and the rest of the band. Heck, I even miss them, even the cut downs Floyd always gave me. But they're gone and we have to move on." Piggy said.

Piggy moved away from Kermit a few feet.

"I don't have the time nor the patience to worry about an adult, an adult frog who has been through worse things than this." Piggy angrily said. "So if you want to play this game fine. We'll leave you alone and let you stay here. For all I care, you can stay here until you pass away, if I can't get my old Kermit back." Piggy added.

Robin walked up to Piggy and both looked at Kermit who was still in bed looking at the opposite direction. Kermit didn't move. Piggy and Robin shook their heads and started to walk out of Kermit's room.

"Wait, you two are right." Kermit said. And you're right Robin, I have been acting like an idiot. I've sunk myself into this hole, this depression that is not only affecting me, but affecting all of you as well.

For the first time in a good while, Kermit actually sounded like Kermit, to Robin and Piggy anyway.

Kermit got out of bed and walked downstairs. Robin and Piggy followed him. The rest of the muppets were surprised to see Kermit out of his room. Rowlf looked at Piggy and Robin and nodded to them. Piggy and Robin nodded back. The nod meant that their talking to Kermit helped.

"Everyone please listen, I got something to say." Kermit said.

By then Bunsen and Beaker and come up from the basement. Everybody listened to what Kermit had to say.

"I've been in a reck and I've digged myself into a hole, a depression that was eating me inside and growing bigger. I acted unprofessionally." Kermit said. "Many of you have tried to talk to me, tried to help me, but I didn't budge. But I am thankful I have friends, my family who care for me. I just want to say thank you to you all."

All of the muppets nodded in agreement. A few of them starting to cry a little because of Kermit's speech.

Rowlf, Johnny, Sal, Sam, Bean, and Dr Strangepork turned their attention to the television when the Tonight show with Jay Leno came on.

"Look at this abomination of a television show. How did Carson ever pick this guy to replace him." Sam complained.

"Vell, at least its vetter tan the reality shows on the television." Strangepork said.

"Hey did you hear about this? It seems the Electric Mayhem, the former band that played form Kermit the frog and company are now out on their own. But it seems like they're having an identity crises. Show that clip." Jay Leno said.

Once everyone heard "Electric Mayhem" all of the Muppets gathered around the television set.

The clip that was shown was the Electric Mayhem playing the Metallica song at the concert a few days ago. The band were beating their instruments to the ground. The Muppets were shocked.

"Hey, that's not cute." remarked Bean.

"Oh my." Busen Honeydew said.

"Meemeemeemee." added Beaker.

The last shot of the clip showed Ed Zwellen with Bryan and Ryan looking at the band from the audience.

"If the band keeps this up, they'll be playing while they're in the unemployment line searching for a new job." Jay Leno joked.

All the Muppets were in shock. Rowlf was distracted by an image he saw of Ed Zwellen. Kermit walked to the front door to go outside and started to look at the stars. Rowlf walked outside to join Kermit.

"Hey Kermit." Rowlf said.

"Oh, hey Rowlf." said Kermit. "Listen, thank you for talking to me about my problem. It means a lot."

"No problem, that's what we're all here for, to help each other." Rowlf said.

Kermit gave Rowlf a smile. Kermit gazed at the stars some more.

"Do you ever thank about the first big thing you got into?" Kermit asked Rowlf.

"You mean the Jimmy Dean show." Rowlf said.

Kermit nodded.

"How can I forget. I became so popular that I started to receive more fan mail than Jimmy himself. That got him mad." Rowlf said.

"And then we got into Sesame Street and made that into a household name." Kermit said. "And then the Muppet Show."

"And yet we never did let fame get in our way. We just focused on the job of ntertaining people. It wasn't about money or fame, just making people happy." Rowlf said.

Kermit looked down and then looked at Rowlf.

"I screwed up Rowlf, big time. I got sloppy at my job and didn't even think to include the Electric Mayhem in any of the shows." Kermit said. "You think the band is happy where they are old friend?"

"I don't think they are. And I wanted to bring this up to you." Rowlf said. "At then end of the clip I noticed a man that looked familiar to me. His name is Ed Zwellen. He's a big time record producer, but here's the problem.

Kermit continued to listen to Rowlf.

"Zwellen is one of these guys to where if you don't do things by his way, he'll make you pay." Rowlf added. "If I know Dr. Teeth and the rest of the band, they didn't want to play that song and destory their instruments, nor do I think they wnted to play that song they did in their music video. So to answer your question if the Electric Mayhem are happy, probably not by this point."

Kermit sighed. Scooter came outside.

"Kermit, we just got a phone call. Oscar just found the Electric Mayhem bus at the garbage dump." Scooter said.

"That doesn't make sense. Why would the band get rid of their bus. They love that thing." Rowlf said.

"I don't think they did. I think that Zwellen guy you just mentioned to me probably did without the band knowing." Kermit said.

Kermit started to think a little. He then turned to Scooter.

"Scooter, have Beau get his cab ready, we're going to get that bus." Kermit ordered.

"Yes sir." replied Scooter.

And with that Kermit and company went to work.

ryan

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Yay! They made Kermit all better! And out of his room! Hm, he sure does like hanging out in his room when he gets depressed... What a fantabulous chapter! Loved seeing Leno, that was pretty cool. And I'm SO glad they heard about the EM bus in a garbage dump. And SO glad they're piecing things together. I'm curious as to how Rowlf knows about Ed Zwellen. Can't wait for more!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is really fantastiic. i think that this looks good enough to atleast be a made-for-TV movie, if not a theatrical film (althouhg I am not sure if Disney thinks the electric mayhem is marketable enough to carry a feature film).

I really liked how so many oscure characters, especially Lips, were used. I do wish that some of the Jim Henson Hour characters were included, though. Solid Foam could have been a good replacement for the band (in this story).

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment. I didn't watch the Jim Henson Hour and know very little about the Solid Foam in general. I guess I could have used them as the replacement band although I didn't tackle with who replaced the Electric Mayhem while they were gone. I didn't know who would replace them and left the subject in the air.

As for regarding lesser known characters such as Lips, as far as I'm concerned he his the 6th member of the Electric Mayhem. Having a trumpet in the band is great and goes with Zoot playing the saxaphone.

ryan