1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The Old Cartoon Network Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Oct 6, 2015.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

What, the 2004 to whatever era?

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

No, you're not, it's apparently very popular, for whatever reason, I can't figure out why - that was the beginning of the end of CN. The concept sounds intriguing on paper, sure, but the execution is like they were trying to make CN seem all ghetto and hood and whatnot.

3. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

I think the Noods era was when CN started to go downhill. And I don't think the City era was "ghetto" or "hood". But eh, different strokes for different folks.

4. LittleJerry92

How to make every 90's kid mad.

Say how much you loved the city era.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  5. ConsummateVs

How to make every 90's kid even angrier:

Say the Powerhouse era is overrated. :p

(Okay, I actually do like the Powerhouse era. It's my second favorite CN era behind the City era. Plus, you gotta love that classic Cartoon Cartoons theme.)

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  6. LittleJerry92

This is why I hate my own generation sometimes.

7. D'Snowth

My own personal preference aside, Powerhouse was really the first time CN had any kind of personality to it, at least I think. I suppose the original Checkerboard Era could be argued that it had its own personality as well, given that they really played up to the CN logo's design on just about everything in their bumpers and promos and what have you, but the bumpers and promos of the Powerhouse Era were all custom animated for the network and its respective shows,; not to mention the guy who animated those has his own YouTube channel where you can not only see blank versions of those bumpers and such, but also WIPs of them as well:

https://www.youtube.com/user/wahnish/videos

ConsummateVs likes this.
  8. D'Snowth

So as it turns out, the reason Van Partible wasn't involved with JOHNNY BRAVO for a while was because CN actually fired him, citing he was too young and inexperienced manage his own show (but gee, Craig McCracken was pretty young and seemed to do well with POWERPUFF GIRLS).

9. LittleJerry92

Hypocrisy in the TV industry....

10. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Interesting, because now almost all of CN's creators are really young.

11. D'Snowth

I got to thinking about Dexter, and I think I've figured out one of the reasons why that show was a particular smash hit for CN, aside from just the extravagant premise of a boy genius with his own secret lab: Genndy always kept the show interesting. Whereas Johnny Bravo always relied on his cluelessness, and Cow and Chicken was always a straight-up screwball comedy, Dexter was always doing different things: action/adventure episodes; heartfelt episodes; musical episodes; bizarre episodes; and even episodes that parodied genres you wouldn't expect kids would be interested in otherwise like spy movies, nature documentaries, and psychological thrillers. You never really knew what to expect.

ConsummateVs and LittleJerry92 like this.
  12. LittleJerry92

I think that's why I was never a big fan of Cow and Chicken.

Minus the animation, it just felt like it was trying to copy every buddy duo comedy show. *Cough* Ren and Stimpy *cough*

13. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Looking back, Red Guy was the real star of the show. Charlie Adler's hammy performance really made the character. :)

14. LittleJerry92

The red guy was a great character. I'll give the show that.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  15. ConsummateVs

I liked Cow and Chicken, but it was never my favorite show. My favorite character was also the Red Guy - he was hilarious. Plus, it was pretty ballsy of them to make The Devil a main character in a kids cartoon (and to make the pilot about going to H*ll for smoking).

MuppetSpot and LittleJerry92 like this.
  16. LittleJerry92

You know what?

Maybe I'll give it a chance again. I dunno. We'll see.

17. D'Snowth

It also recently just occured to me that Powerpuff Girls often did sequels to their episodes: like Mojo Jojo trying to redo his original scheme of turning all people into dogs by literally replaying the original episode to point out the mistakes he made, or the family that turns into super villains after the girls make a mess with pies because the husband tried to kill Professor, or Princess wanting revenge for them not letting her be an honorary Powerpuff Girl.

Then again, Courage occasionally did revenge episodes as well, from the Chicken from Outer Space (and later his son), to the Sean Connery Snowman, to the episode where Eustace gathers them all together for a battle to the death.

EEE was actually pretty good with continuity in small details, often breaking the forth wall by acknowledging previous episodes.

18. D'Snowth

The old bloopers special was mentioned some time back in this thread, but I just now remembered: does anyone else remember that old awards special they did kind of around the same time? I remember how annoyed I was seeing it for the first time because they got Muriel's last name wrong.

19. D'Snowth

I just now realized that despite how hated Cow and Chicken was when it was on, CN actually gave it quite a bit of special treatment: it was the first CN show to have a coloring book adaptation, the first to get a DC comic, the first to get a fast food premium, I think it was one of the first CN shows to get custom Powerhouse bumpers, they got their own Got Milk? commercial, there was that Smelly Telly week where you could scratch and sniff new episodes, that Japanese vacation series of commercials and there was even C&C merchandise in Europe such as figures and plushes.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  20. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I guess either kids must've really loved it or CN really needed some merch, but since PPG hadn't come out yet and they were still pretty new to original programming it wasn't quite obvious what shows would make the most money.