The Passion of the Christ

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I agree, you have to separate the artist from the art to some degree. I particularly feel that way about actors; it's harder with a director because so much of their own selves is reflected in their work, but you can still certainly have great directors who aren't very nice people. I don't know that I would say that about Mel Gibson; he strikes me as a decent guy, and it sounded to me like he does believe the Holocaust happened but doesn't want to be forced into saying something negative about his father. Can you blame him? I don't know, I think that's a tough position to be in...
Erin

frogturtle

Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet but I plan to. I won't judge it too much yet but I don't think it is anti-semetic. Even if it is, there shouldn't be so much hype about it. What about all the Korean war movies and Pearl Harbor? They are very racist too and there wasn't this big a deal about them. Again, I haven't seen it to judge, but this is what my youth group is saying when we were deciding if we want to see it. If this movie is judged this harshly, then all other movies should be re-examined going by this standard. Just my opinion.
Valerie

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I got to see this film last Saturday -- awesome. I loved all the spiritual imagery;it's just sopping with it. For anyone who isn't familiar with scriptural imagery, they're missing out on a lot of stuf that just wowed me. Gibson did an incredible job keeping a quality of realism in the film, and not just gore, I mean he did an excellent job of portraying Jesus' miracles. I think, though not many lines were given to Caverzel, the action spoke louder, and the words spoken were wonderfully forgiving (ie "Forgive them -- they don't know what they're doing"). I get very ticked at critics when they claim the film is too condemning of a certain people group for killing Jesus, and I personally haven't seen any form of hatred or prejudice on Gibson's part toward anyone through this movie. JESUS SAID that He didn't come to condemn the world, but to save it, and I think that is wonderfully portrayed through the film.

Also, I'd like to say that I think he did an excellent job of portraying (or hinting at in a big way) the Resurrection. Less was more in this case, and though I felt both intense guilt and thankfulness throughout the film, the ending gave a nice touch of hope.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
Possible Spoilers...if that's possible....

I saw this movie last Thursday and have not stopped thinking about it. I have always had a testimony of Jesus and his great suffering but this movie just helped me to remember and see in a new way just how great this suffering was.

I thought Jim Caviezel did a superb job of portraying the Savior. In fact the best I've seen.

I really wish though that the Resurrection scenes had been longer as that was the whole point of the Crucifixition....Jesus died that He might raise Himself from the dead and in turn allow us to live again. It should've ended when Mary Magdalene is at the Tomb and he says her name and she suddenly recognizes him. I think it would've balanced the deep intensity of the Crucifixtion.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Dr. Bombay said:
I really wish though that the Resurrection scenes had been longer as that was the whole point of the Crucifixition....Jesus died that He might raise Himself from the dead and in turn allow us to live again. It should've ended when Mary Magdalene is at the Tomb and he says her name and she suddenly recognizes him. I think it would've balanced the deep intensity of the Crucifixtion.
Word. That was my big issue with it before I watched it, and while the resurrection is certainly what gives meaning to Jesus' death and salvation for humanity, I think too much more would have destroyed the impact of His suffering. Ya know what I mean?

Sometimes in film it's better to underdo things than to overdo them. The hint at resurrection does leave the audience questioning "why", but that's what the Bible is for.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
Word. That was my big issue with it before I watched it, and while the resurrection is certainly what gives meaning to Jesus' death and salvation for humanity, I think too much more would have destroyed the impact of His suffering. Ya know what I mean?

Sometimes in film it's better to underdo things than to overdo them. The hint at resurrection does leave the audience questioning "why", but that's what the Bible is for.
The Resurrection

Sounds like a sequel to me. :halo:

Fozzie

Reaction score
I can't wait to see this. The only bad thing is that it is sold out for a while. My mom said it has now even surpassed Lord Of The Rings.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Really? That soon? Wow, and it's only been out for a week! Or maybe it outsold LOTR's first week; even that would be pretty tough since that was sold out for most of its first performances too. I think The Passion will probably be in theaters for quite a while, though.
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
Definitely.

I will agree with lots of what others have said, too.

My take? I had to explain the film, what was going on, who was who, the whole time. It is NOT a film for folks who have no idea what the story of Christ is about. There are 'flashbacks' within the course of the movie, but not enough, really to explain what people don't know about the biography.

I'd say there's definitely a need for a film like this as far as teaching, but this represents really only a few days worth of 33 year old man's life and there are so many other stories of the lives He touched that you aren't going to understand in 2 hours, and many people will rather see a film than to read a Bible.

As far as the anti-Jew thing: Nah! I didn't come out of there hating anybody. If anything, I see where a certain group of people, who didn't KNOW Jesus, came to condemn him. And, when we think about it, isn't that exactly what goes on today? Those who do not know the Lord are often found persecuting those of us who do, and they deny the Lord, condemning Him even to this day, and ignore the feelings of those of us who have faith, and insult our faith?

I'm not at all well versed in the words of the Bible, and I can't sit and have a whole argument with someone about Christianity or philosophize with someone about what is Man, Son of Man, Son of God, and Savior. I can only sit there and listen and say, "Faith."

It is my faith that this is all true, and I will never sway from that belief. If there are those who would still--all these years later--condemn the faith and teachings, and truth that is Jesus Christ, then so be it. I can't change their minds, and I won't force it into their heads, but I will lead by example for only after they see the blessings bestowed on me as a believer will they ever really understand what it means to have that faith, trust, and love for the Lord.

And even so, I'm still and unworthy candidate for being an example to follow.

dmx10101

Reaction score
Preach on my brotha Foz! Preach on! Nice speech, I agree with what you're saying.