The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Brewster's Millions, the title character has to spend a large sum of money within a small period of time to inherit a fortune, and several smaller conditions are put into the terms like not buying things to destroy, only being allowed to lose five percent gambling and only donate five percent.... But what would happen if somebody had stolen a large portion of his money?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Another cliched phrase that gets overused until it's run into the ground is "<X> is the new <Y>".

If exaggerated to absurdity, pretty soon it might be overused to the point where people might start saying something like "death is the new life" or "Coke is the new Pepsi"...

And now for something completely unexpected in response to overused catchphrases like "it is what it is", here's Frank Zappa's "You Are What You Is":

Frank Zappa is one of my top 3 musicians of all time. And here he has the great Ike Willis helping out on vocals.

cjd874

Reaction score
Frank Zappa is one of my top 3 musicians of all time. And here he has the great Ike Willis helping out on vocals.
Zappa is a legend. To me, a lot of people don't seem to take him seriously because they've only heard the bizarre or obscene music. But if they listen to one of his guitar solos like "Watermelon in Easter Hay" or "Black Napkins," or something more commercially appealing like "Cosmic Debris" or "Dirty Love," they'd realize that he was a genius and wrote fantastic music.

And to your word about Ike Willis: I think that he's the best vocalist Zappa ever had...Ray White is in a very VERY close second.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Zappa is a legend. To me, a lot of people don't seem to take him seriously because they've only heard the bizarre or obscene music. But if they listen to one of his guitar solos like "Watermelon in Easter Hay" or "Black Napkins," or something more commercially appealing like "Cosmic Debris" or "Dirty Love," they'd realize that he was a genius and wrote fantastic music.

And to your word about Ike Willis: I think that he's the best vocalist Zappa ever had...Ray White is in a very VERY close second.
Yes. Some people only know Frank because of daughter Moon's "Valley Girl" record in the 80's. But he could play guitar, produce, and compose like it's nobody's business.
Ike probably was his best singer (Flo and Eddie get honorable mention).
And for people who thought his lyrics were obscene, check out the almost-all-instrumental "Hot Rats".
It's nice that high school jazz bands are tackling "Peaches en Regalia".

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
You know what I've learned about donuts, honestly?

They really sit in your stomach.

Today is an exception since it's national donut day, but wow.... Times like this I am certainly glad I've been cutting back. :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've honestly never experienced that problem with doughnuts.

Now oatmeal, on the other hand. . . .

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So I have to admit, I find it really interesting that Ace from the Gangreen Gang is substituting for Murdoc while he's in jail right now, because it really wasn't that long ago I was thinking about how there's some similarities in the characters: green skin, shaggy yet slick black hair, sharp teeth, ring leaders of their respective groups, unsavory fellows. But, what I'm curious about is, if Ace ever speaks in any Gorillaz videos while he's filling in for Murdoc, would they try to get Jeff Bennett to reprise the voice, or would "union" rules prevent that from happening?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Depends on how it's made.
Wait til you're my age, you might be seeing oatmeal more often than not.