1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The "You know what?" thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Misskermie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

For real though! I remember when I first saw a preview for Toy Story on the 1996 VHS release of "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" as a kid, it was super mind-blowing at that time.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm actually kind of curious as to what made SS decide to bring back two of Jerry Nelson's older characters: Herry Monster and The Amazing Mumford.

Granted, Mumford is a little more confusing, considering there's actually an unwritten reason why he was retired: Abby. But Herry kind of stopped being a regular/major character after Season 30. I doubt the initial reason those characters were retired/phased out to begin with was due to availability: Jerry continued to perform regularly on SS up into the mid-to-late 2000s when he physically was unable to anymore, then began to dub his characters' voices like Count and Mr. Johnson; he especially performed a lot of incidental, one-shot, AMs and such during Seasons 31-33.

3. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Back in Season 40, there were minor cameos of older characters like Harvey Kneeslapper and Forgetful Jones (and that brief speaking role from Sherlock Hemlock!). But now for the 50th anniversary season, we've got two full-blown recasts with Herry Monster and Mumford. I wonder what purpose they will serve in street scenes, and whether they will stick around.

I've noticed that as Jerry and Caroll got older, they started dubbing voices more often because their characters were so closely associated with them, and there weren't enough understudies for all of their characters. Frank Oz hasn't done this because his characters have taken on a life of their own with Eric Jacobson and David Rudman; and Frank's schedule is tight enough as it is without SS. But I could see Marty Robinson doing this if they continue using Snuffy and Telly, since he's been their exclusive performer for 35 years.

And let's not forget that they even brought back Fred the Wonder Horse a few times, and Jerry dubbed his voice on those occasions. I think Frank played Grover in those scenes, too. :)

4. D'Snowth

I often talk about how much Sequelitis has been infecting modern cinema and such, but there are actually some sequels out there that I think are just as good as the originals, and some I think that are even better.

Just as good sequels:
    • THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER TO THE RESCUE and THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER GOES TO MARS
    • HOME ALONE 2 and HOME ALONE 3
    • STUART LITTLE 2
    • TOY STORY 2 and TOY STORY 3
    • FINDING DORY
    • THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER
    Even better sequels:
    • SHREK 2
    • THE SANTA CLAUSE 2
    • AUSTIN POWERS: GOLDMEMBER

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Paddington and Paddington 2 are also both almost equally great, in my opinion.

6. D'Snowth

My cellphone clock runs too fast.

My computer clock runs too slow.

My alarm clock runs just right.

I'm serious.

7. LittleJerry92

8. D'Snowth

With this whole Grover F-bomb controversy, I'm surprised nobody has resorted to the obvious, "We knew this would happen with moving Sesame Street to HBO" joke.

9. D'Snowth

I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and assume that only celebrities, public figures, and pages for entertainment are allowed to upload cover videos on their Facebook pages, and not the rest of us ordinary schmoes . . . because, I tried to submit a video for my cover photo this morning, but it was rejected, saying only JPGs, GIFs, PNGs, and TIFFs are accepted.

10. LittleJerry92

You know what’s one thing i’ve honestly learned about people?

No one likes it when people try and change their minds. And quite honestly, I don’t blame them.

Even I find it frustrating myself. Which is why i’ve learned to maybe explain something to them if I feel like their evidence when explaining something seems a bit off, but I always end it with “but I’m not here to think for you, so I’ll let you do you.”

11. D'Snowth

I wonder if kids today even know how to play games like hide-and-seek, tag, duck-duck-goose, Simon says, I spy, or other playground favorites?

12. LittleJerry92

Probably not.

13. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Helicopter parents have sucked the knowledge out of them. :sympathy:

14. D'Snowth

I wouldn't say that. My mom's a helicopter parent . . . even still now that I'm an adult. :p

15. D'Snowth

Holy crap, what a bizarre coincidence! Steve Harvey ended up talking about this very thing on FAMILY FEUD last night!

16. LittleJerry92

So here’s one thing I gotta be honest on.

I don’t mean to come off as sexist/perverted saying this, but as much as I like getting hugs from both sexes, I honestly like getting hugs from women a little more.

Hard to explain but...... yeah. :shifty:

17. D'Snowth

I suppose because of stigmas and American mentality, that it feels a little awkward for dudes to be hugging other dudes, than it would be for dudes to be hugging dudettes, or vice-versa.

18. LittleJerry92

Yeah.

But I guess it’s also because I don’t have many female friends in person so it feels kind of rare getting hugs from them.

19. LittleJerry92

So i’ve been watching more and more of those actually happened videos on YouTube, and Jesus effing Christ so many of them just feel so relatable!

20. D'Snowth

Actually Happened feels like its trying to compete against storybooth, but I'll say Actually Happened's videos feel a little more in-depth and detailed in the stories they share, whereas storybooth stories tend to be brief - I don't think I've seen one longer than four minutes . . . except when they did a "celebrity storybooth" video with Superwoman.

LittleJerry92 likes this.