1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The "You know what?" thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miss kermie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Personally, I never had much of a hard time figuring out what he was saying, but I can understand how other people would. It seems like it would be even harder for the kids watching.
    I have always liked Gonger, though. He's a cute character, he's got a nice design, and good chemistry with Cookie Monster. He's one of the few characters from recurring segments that I could actually see appearing in some street scenes at some point in the future. Maybe their food truck can become a long running locale like the Two-Headed Monster's newsstand.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That was my main concern, that the kids watching wouldn't be able to understand him, between the British accent, the speech impediment, and his monster talk - which sounds similar to Ubbi-Dubbi speak from ZOOM. The latter of which seems to have been toned down a little, save for an occasional word here or there (like, "cwan-buh-bewwies").

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  3. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

Honestly, the MAD TV series (the one that aired on Cartoon Network, not MadTV) is a bit dated now, with all of its early 2010's pop culture and celebrity references. Some skits still hold up today, though; my personal favorite being "VeggieTales From the Crypt".

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  4. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

That was a great show for its time, and it was one of the early 10's shows that got me back into CN.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  5. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

TTG seems more like a spiritual successor to MAD, seeing as how it shares a lot of the same writing team and love of making pop culture references, as opposed to making fun of DC's mythology itself.

6. LittleJerry92

Wait, the writing team for MAD are on that show?

Okay, it makes alot more sense now.

7. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

In general, commercials tend to only be broadcast for one or maybe two years, while television, movies, and specials have been rebroadcast and released on video many times (not counting TV Land's Retromercials or the fact that we can watch almost any existing commercial online these days).

The various inserts on Sesame Street have been made to be like commercials, appearing in multiple episodes as a result. But it seems like these "commercials" are the other way around, with the street stories only shown during their initial seasons (and maybe repeated two years later) while the many inserts have been repeated for years, with many (especially earlier ones) airing in new episodes for over three decades. Of course many full episodes were not rerun on cable until 1999, and full episodes/street stories were rare on home video until the 2000s. And many street stories and even full episodes from the past two decades have been more commonly officially available and rerun for more years.

8. D'Snowth

I find it a little ironic that many people mirgrated from DeviantArt to tumblr because apparently tumblr has virtually no rules against posting NSFW art, meanwhile, it seems like DeviantArt is turning into Rule34 lite.

9. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

Those Pooh's Adventures memes are basically the baby show equivalent to Infinity War. Except you know, not every well known character obliterates into nothing at the end.

10. LittleJerry92

You know what's something I hear from alot of my friends (in a joking way)?

"I question what goes on in that head of yours..." :laugh:

11. C to the J

C to the J Well-Known Member

I've watched a couple of Foodie Truck videos on Sesame Street's YouTube page and I just realized something. When Gonger talks, he sounds like Dizzy Devil (from Tiny Toon Adventures). It's pretty amusing if you think about it.

12. D'Snowth

@LittleJerry92 and I were actually talking about this once before, and since he brought it up again in the Funny Picture Thread, I can agree that age difference shouldn't be some kind of liability in love or relationships. However, I also think that perhaps such vast age differences might be pushing it a bit far . . . like say if the age difference is such that one party is old enough to be the parent and the other party is young enough to be the offspring, then yeah, that could be problematic . . . and a little creepy too.

I also think part of it, too, is that if there's such a vast age difference that the two people are of different times/generations, that can also be a bit problematic, and I'm actually using my own parents as an example, considering there's a ten-year age difference between them, and my dad comes from that conservative men seem to lament over quite often (where white males were superior to everybody, and everybody else had their place in society), whereas my mom comes from a more progressive time of hippies and the original feminist movement and such.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  13. Flaky Pudding

I agree. Most pop culture parody shows become dated fast, which is part of the reason I like Wonder Showzen so much as despite coming out in the very early 2000s, it's just as relevant now as it was back then because they generally left pop culture out of it for the most part (and whenever they did reference pop culture it was more timeless things such as Star Wars, Looney Tunes, and Popeye that will probably be at least somewhat well known forever).

My favorite MAD sketch is probably VeggieTales From the Crypt as well. My other two favorites are probably the one where Blu from Rio was the Green Lantern and the short ThunderCats bit where Lion-O and the other cats did a barbershop quartet song and dance number to distract Mumm-Ra lol. Although this one is one of the more obscure skits MAD ever did, I also really liked the Ghost Rider's Training Wheels one where Ghost Rider made his own bike with a set of training wheels that will turn the rider's head into a skull and set it on fire. I found it very clever at the end when Ghost Rider said that you don't have to even pay for his brand of training wheels, you just have to sign your soul over to a demon for all eternity. That's really, really funny if you are familiar with the mythology behind the Ghost Rider character like I am.

Oh and another favorite of mine was when they had Kermit the Frog show up in the movie Limitless. Seeing Alfred E. Neuman as Zoot was awesome.

14. Flaky Pudding

While I overall enjoyed MAD for the most part, I do however remember thinking that some of it may have been a bit too mean spirited by kid's show standards. One example would be a brief clip where a chihuahua tries to pee on a fire hydrant and the fire hydrant sprayed a bunch of water out on him. A messaged the popped up reading,

"In loving memory,
    Roberto the chihuahua,
    2005-2012,"

Yeah, killing off a cute dog for no reason is a bit on edge for a kid's show if you ask me. Also I never liked the skit where they said Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler looks like a Blobfish. That sounds like a Family Guy joke if I've ever heard one. Like I said, most of MAD was clever and creative but there were some things here and there that I think would've worked better in an adult cartoon as opposed to a show meant for the younger demographic.

15. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

In Back to the Future Part III, when Doc accidentally brings up Marty's future car accident, which had not yet happened to Marty, Marty asks what accident and Doc decides not to say on grounds that he shouldn't know too much about his own future, Marty asks "what is wrong with my future?", almost like he was aware of his future being bad.

Now he kinda was. When he saw Biff in 2015, and Biff thought he was Marty Jr., he's surprised to learn from Biff that he will become a loser, though he's not given much time to think about this before Griff comes in. And it doesn't seem to be on Marty's mind throughout the adventure, but could he have suddenly remembered what Biff told him (maybe he could have said "the Biff of 2015 told me there was something wrong with my future")? Or could it have been a combination of this and the few times in 2015 when Doc tells Marty he shouldn't know too much about his future when Marty asks how he turns out, perhaps Marty sensing Doc's not telling him on grounds that it's too bad - even though the Doc of 1955 had already told Marty they shouldn't know too much about their own futures? Heck, could Marty have actually noticed Doc's brief double-take in 1985 before telling Marty that he and Jennifer will turn out fine?

It's also interesting, Doc seems to be concerned about people knowing too much about the future, and keeps Marty's car accident/bad future a secret from him, and he doesn't want him to know things like future sports scores, but these things had not happened to them yet - the future could change, but when continuing from their 1985 present, things won't be confusing. And also, Doc took Marty to the future to prevent his future son from going to jail, is that any different from warning him about a car accident?

And when Jennifer tells Doc that the paper she got from the future erased, Doc's just happy about the future not being written yet, unconcerned about future changes. Doc isn't told what was on the paper nor was he told that Marty avoided the car accident (unless Doc had known the exact time of the accident and went to 1985 after that time - though it would have made more sense to travel there a few seconds after Marty's return - he had no way of knowing that Marty would be there when he showed up).*

And that's ignoring the fact that 1955 Doc learns a bit more about 1985 Doc's future fate. Marty tells 1955 Doc about why he's back there, briefly mentioning getting a book from Biff (but I feel that's easy to forget, and he's not that detailed), after they see Doc's headstone (which Marty probably should have just avoided telling the 1955 Doc - it would have made more sense for him to want to rescue Doc without telling him, and would explain why that Doc is surprised when Marty comes back for him), and Doc does seem to be a little careless in 1885. It's one thing before Marty comes back for him, when it looks like he won't be returning to 1985 (any alternate reality he creates from his time in 1885 won't affect him because he won't be back and confused, though Marty could be confused by the changes), but after Marty comes back and Doc expects to return, they do things like rescue Clara (don't they remember Marty endangering his life by saving his dad?) and don't care much about the train crashing (though this would be out of necessity for them).

*And this is ignoring the comic books, which reveal that Doc's trip to 1985 at the end of part III was not his first trip to the future after being in 1885, and had some interaction with Marty before Doc went to that point in time, so that Doc would have known Marty's future will be better.

16. D'Snowth

Zooey Deschanel's from California, but I swear she's got a slight southern drawl in the way she talks and sings.

17. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

It's kinda hard to believe that the animation in the Money For Nothing music video was once considered state of the art. CG animation has come such a long way since it came out.

But if you ask me, it actually dosen't look too bad by today's standards. Dated, yes, but not horrible. It's certainly a lot more charming and easy on the eyes than Rapsittie Street Kids, and that came out 17 years after this video!

LittleJerry92 and mr3urious like this.
  18. D'Snowth

I mean, heck, even the original TOY STORY looks primitive by today's standard, but I remember what a big deal it was when it first came out, considering it was the first-ever all-CGI animated feature film.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  19. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

And most importantly, it's from the same studio that would eventually give us ReBoot and Beast Wars. :)

20. LittleJerry92

Dude, are you a Dire Straits fan??? That's legit one of my favorite songs from them (my dad also really loves the song), and that music video is FIRE!