1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Tinseltown News

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by Barry Lee, Aug 1, 2007.

1. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

I don't think they'd film more than the pilot without a committment from a broadcaster. Yes constructing the puppets, etc. is expensive but writing, setting, filming, directing, and editing multiple episodes would be even more expensive.

Hopefully we'll see more-- I thought there was a committment for more. Some how I got the impression they were going to air the pilot and then we'd see more later in the season.

Never been a Piggy fan myself. I agree with most of what Luke said about her. Always wished the Muppets had more female Muppets to help balance the pig. Nothing bugs me as much as people using Piggy to represent all women because she is so far and away the most visible female Muppet.
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

This is off topic, lol, but I just wanted to say that as a female, I've always been happy to have Piggy (not that I didn't wish for more female characters. ;) ).
  3. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Did it bug anyone else that there were only two Puppets in the show? I expected more...possibly the driver? Or a shop-owner? Why would there exist only two talking animals in Hollywood? (Besides Babe and that PG Tips Monkey that is).

As for Piggy....tsk tsk. She's gorgeous, stylish, and while she may be a diva, she really is a classic classy lady and all attempts to modernize her haven't really worked because she isn't a loose woman, she's a classy diva.
  4. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

I had read that there would only be the two puppets so that didn't bother me. I kile seeing Muppets out in the world interacting with humans and having it not be an issue that they're foam talking animals.

It might have thrown me if I hadn't known going in.
  5. Beauregard

Ahhh. I see. Slightly bizare...but if that's the way they are going, I'll roll with it. I really do enjoy the subtilties in the design of the puppets and the emotion they can bring. Especially Samson, when he's chopping stuff for lunch. He seems so tired/sad/confused/bored/whatever, which is great to portray in a very simple puppet sigh.
  6. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

...I'm missing it already I want more episodes!
  7. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

It'd be nice if they at least let us know when we might see a new episode....
  8. Luke

Luke Active Member

Maybe we should get emailing them to show some support
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

If the Henson Company has demonstrated anything in the past years it is that every step of production is quite tentative on their part. Budget, marketing, talent negotiation, pitching all has a lengthy process by nature, especially with smaller companies. :rolleyes:

Voicing support is a wonderful thing – and the best way to do it appears to be through the Henson podcast! They do get back to you and don’t appear to be getting many questions or comments for the shows. A high concentration of Tinseltown support there would really blip the radar due to lack of competing inquiries. :cool:
  10. TheJimHensonHour

I would but there's one problem..ever since they changed the site I've not been able to view or listen to the Podcasts.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:confused: Is this a Flash issue? Ever since Adobe purchased Macromedia, Flash just hasn't been the same. They should have just left it alone. Sometimes the streaming properties of their videos are prohibitively tweaky on high speed wi-fi connections. These connections are what the culture is turning toward and darn Adobe is trying their darn best to make their product obsolete when it could be even more cutting edge. Whew. Rant over. I'm a Flash designer and it just upsets me. :eek:

The other Adobe products are great, but they tweak with them too. There is no reason that a talented designer can't get the same results through Photoshop 4 as can be achieved through the current CS versions.

I listen to the podcast on my partner's Mac. Actually, they answered his (Ian's) question a few casts back. It was the one after the Tinseltown cast. He asked about the famous Muppet waiting room mural. They answered part of the question, but didn't mention where a nicer hi-res photon (aside from the one in Jim Henson: The Works) could be found? :flirt:
  12. Beauregard

Here's a thought...

Tinseltown Christmas Special.

Obviously they won't be putting one together this year, but with those characters I can imagine a Christmas Special would be simply amazing.

Plus! Tinsel! You're already halfway there!
  13. TheJimHensonHour

It must be...I don't like Macs so that very well could be it.
    The only mac thing I own is an ipod.
    But yeah the thing on the page wont even load for me.
    It looks as if there is something there but it's just a dead block.
    And my heart felt sympathies to you I can't stand flash lol
    Heh but Amazing? No, it would be faaaabbbbulloouus! lol
  14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

In my copy of "The Works" the image is faded on one side. :(

I'd be interested in seeing a really nice hi-res picture of it.
  15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

This Quinn-written MC article in 2002 is as close as I've come to a good picture of it. Some really nice stuff in that. "Bring me the head of Fozzie Bear!" He he. I miss these kinds of articles. :o

Another Friday passes without Tinseltown. :sympathy:
  16. TheJimHensonHour

oooo they got me! they put Tinsel town back up on the main alien boot camp page but it's the same episode! dang them!
  17. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

any news on when there'll be new episodes? :search:
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think this show was something Brian Henson and Bill Barretta put together to pass the time between projects. I think it's safe to consider it's been given a DNR order from all involved. :sympathy:

More attention is being spent to the new Muppet movie, the Fraggle film and the struggling Dark Crystal project. Let's not forget Puppet Up and the other puppet sketch show the Henson Company is backing. Maybe Tinseltown will be a sketch on that. It really is more of a short-subject concept that a full-fledged show. We can only hope. :o
  19. Luke

Luke Active Member

I liked it, i thought it was very current. Granted the writing wasn't great but i think it was a great concept and the style of puppets worked well with human actors. I agree it would be better as a sketch in a bigger show - a puppet/human sketch show could work well actually. I think Henson have been doing a lot of inbetween type projects lately (Sam Plenty, lol) and are yet to really establish themselves since they sold the Muppets. I guess the Weinstein deal is where they think their future is so it'll be interesting to see how the fairy tales parodies go down and Fraggle.

I think they'll look to sci-fi again as well. The Farscape webisodes are supposedly going back into production and they are looking for a show from that.
  20. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

I found "Tinseltown" offensive for the sake of, well, being offensive. It's possibly my least favorite thing to ever come out of the company.