Tinseltown News

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Can we not speculate on the sexuality of the puppeteers?
Does it really matter? god some people on this site make the biggest deal about things lordy i'm so sorry I said I asumed something about some one.
Where int his day and age it shouldn't matter who you like or what sexuality you are.
But yeah I know what kind of closed minded people are running around here it's shocking really considering Jim Henson wasn't closed minded like that.
And I'm sure these are the same people that will be all omg Tinseltown is so wrong and gay people bla bla bla point point point blame blame blame.
And then Fozzie walks in "Shaaaaaammmeee on yooooouuu!":embarrassed:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Of Muppets and Mole Hills

I admit that some of the comments in this thread could be interpreted as slightly homophobic, but I like to give people (especially MCers) the benefit of the doubt. Nothing said here really raises a red flag for me. :wink:

*Also, the speculation of personal lives of performers has been an issue in the past and not just with forum members.

A little sensitivity with all perspectives would probably be a good thing - the Muppety thing. :smile:

I do wonder why being misunderstood as gay seems to be more inflammatory than other misunderstandings in general in contemporary society? Maybe Tinseltown will help diffuse the stigma. Although it will probably poke fun at the silliness and hypocrisies that are inherent in every person - Muppet or human!

(See what I did there? Brought things back to point. LOL!) :zany:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Does it really matter? god some people on this site make the biggest deal about things lordy i'm so sorry I said I asumed something about some one.
Where int his day and age it shouldn't matter who you like or what sexuality you are.
But yeah I know what kind of closed minded people are running around here it's shocking really considering Jim Henson wasn't closed minded like that.
And I'm sure these are the same people that will be all omg Tinseltown is so wrong and gay people bla bla bla point point point blame blame blame.
And then Fozzie walks in "Shaaaaaammmeee on yooooouuu!":embarrassed:
That's what sort of worries me about this project. Someone somewhere (who would never watch it) would tear it down and try to make it sound like a kid's show "Brainwashing" kids to accept gays. In otherwords instead of teaching kids that it doesn't matter what is different about the person, but what they are deep down inside that counts, they want to spread the same moronic hatrid that's been passed down to them through politicing "religious" leaders.

Sort of like the morons behind the Ernie/ Bert thing (PLease, I beg of you, do NOT go there. I put this up as example People did try to boycott SS because of this). of course, this is the only time where they actually address the puppet's orientation.

but I think Henson REALLY is pushing the bounds of what they can do, and I applaud them. I mean, Greg the bunny is okay, but this is the real thing. We shall soon show the rest of the world that puppetry, like animation, is an artform, and a way to get an idea across, and not just something to shut kids up with! Allong with the absolutely wonderful Puppet Up, this is really moving Henson back where it belongs. Not Kid's stuff! Way to go Henson!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Gays and Christians = Biggest Muppet Fans

I have always noticed the spiked popularity of the Muppets within both the gay and christian communities. That's what I find so cool is that the Muppets seem to connect with many people and bring them together in at least one way. :wink:

Anybody else notice this? :halo:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
That's what sort of worries me about this project. Someone somewhere (who would never watch it) would tear it down and try to make it sound like a kid's show "Brainwashing" kids to accept gays. In otherwords instead of teaching kids that it doesn't matter what is different about the person, but what they are deep down inside that counts, they want to spread the same moronic hatrid that's been passed down to them through politicing "religious" leaders.

Sort of like the morons behind the Ernie/ Bert thing (PLease, I beg of you, do NOT go there. I put this up as example People did try to boycott SS because of this). of course, this is the only time where they actually address the puppet's orientation.

but I think Henson REALLY is pushing the bounds of what they can do, and I applaud them. I mean, Greg the bunny is okay, but this is the real thing. We shall soon show the rest of the world that puppetry, like animation, is an artform, and a way to get an idea across, and not just something to shut kids up with! Allong with the absolutely wonderful Puppet Up, this is really moving Henson back where it belongs. Not Kid's stuff! Way to go Henson!
Wow we've been agreeing allot as of late lol I worry about that also I just don't want this to be another oh gay people are such bad people all they think about is sex and live in a den of sin...not all of us are like that and I'm quite tired of the media let alone the gay media making the world believe such stereo types.
I also agree with the amazing puppet up henson really is on its way to the top!

I have always noticed the spiked popularity of the Muppets within both the gay and christian communities. That's what I find so cool is that the Muppets seem to connect with many people and bring them together in at least one way. :wink:

Anybody else notice this? :halo:
Well I'm openly gay and love the muppets but I can't say i've ever met anyone besides my x boy friend who likes the muppets who is gay lol.
I wish I could would be nice for sure maybe i wouldnt be so single.
I still think this project is a great idea but I could see how Christians who hate homosexuals wouldn't like it. I hope it's not to stereo typical we've got enough things that make us look stupid when many of us are artists and thinkers I know many don't see us as this way and many see us as super sexual sinfull creatures but that's not how I am at all I spend most of my life creating things with the gifts I've been given every single day.
But I'd say it was Jims dream to bring people together it's sort of fadded away with him but maybe Brians finally on the right track.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well I'm openly gay and love the muppets but I can't say i've ever met anyone besides my x boy friend who likes the muppets who is gay lol.
I wish I could would be nice for sure maybe i wouldnt be so single.
And guess what! I don't care. Except for the part about loving the Muppets. Peoples is peoples. I believe Jim's ideals that people in the world can ideally get along. It's people in power that turn everyone against each other. But that's another story.

I still think this is amazingly bold for Henson. I just hope they don't make it like Will and Grace and make it all about them being gay and shooting out bad gay puns. I hope this has broad comedy and character developement like a true comedy should, and not just saying "ben Gay" a hundred times in an episode.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
And guess what! I don't care. Except for the part about loving the Muppets. Peoples is peoples. I believe Jim's ideals that people in the world can ideally get along. It's people in power that turn everyone against each other. But that's another story.

I still think this is amazingly bold for Henson. I just hope they don't make it like Will and Grace and make it all about them being gay and shooting out bad gay puns. I hope this has broad comedy and character developement like a true comedy should, and not just saying "ben Gay" a hundred times in an episode.
Um ok did I ask if you cared. shesh. lol
I'm not one of those people who run around saying I'm gay before you get my name :stick_out_tongue:
I agree 100% while I enjoyed will and grace at times will didnt even come off as a gay man to me I always thought the show was going to end with him being with grace lol.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I still think this is amazingly bold for Henson. I just hope they don't ... make it all about them being gay... I hope this has broad comedy and character developement like a true comedy should
I agree. I really hope the characters are well developed and are not just presented as the one-note joke of "look I'm a Gay puppet". I hope they give these characters unique quirks and characteristics that make them funny, original, irreverent, heartfelt, flawed, relatable and a little zany - and not just fall into the trap of becoming that overused and clichéd stereotypical gay character we’ve all seen a million times and never develop them outside that - you can only sustain a character for so long on that before it wears thin and I don't know if you could carry a series on characters as one-dimensional as that. You need rich and unique characters.

However, given Henson's long-history and current dedication of developing great original characters - I'm sure these guys will be wonderful characters that we'll all come to fall in love with, relate to, laugh at, and enjoy watching. I mean, there is a lot more to Gonzo then just his sexual attraction to chickens, and there is more to Piggy than just her relationship with Kermit, and there is more to any one of us then just who we’re sexually attracted to. There are some great one-joke Muppets (like Lew Zealand, for example) but I don't think any one of them could carry a series on their own. I have great faith that Henson will make Bobby and Samson a wonderful pair of characters and that they will make this show fun, entertaining and appealing to all kinds of viewers.

I’m glad to see the company launch a project like this – it may raise a few eyebrows when it first come on the air - but at the end of the day we should be getting an all-around entertaining show where Henson is (once again) not avoiding or ignoring diversity but rather embracing and celebrating it.