1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Tinseltown News

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by Barry Lee, Aug 1, 2007.

1. wickedpuppets

wickedpuppets New Member

LOL, prety good 10 min show, Not too start round 36 but did any of the 'haters' actually watc this? and if you did do you still feel this is/was an 'evil-sin-show' lol.

Honestly what did you really expect? a propaganda gay recruit film with puppets? well it deff wasn't.

I have to say, an overall good show, needs to be longer though!

-Loki-
  2. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

I missed it..but it's only 10 mins? ugh gimmie a break nell carter! this needs to be longer! Why does the Henson company get no respect at all Jim Henson was a genius!:flirt:
  3. wickedpuppets

wickedpuppets New Member

Well first the show was going to be strictly a webshow, then Logo's parent company picked it up for their Alien Boot Camp show (Think of a gay/lesbian version of Adult Swim) so it runs about the same forumla (shows 10-15 mins long)

Lets hope that if it gets decent viewers (good luck sence they did not promote it hardly at all) then maybe it will become a longer show.

I'm serious about the lack of promotion, I keep my TV on while i work so this afternoon I decided the only way to make sure I did not miss the show was to tune my TV to Logo and leave it there, I did not keep a very close eye on the programing but I can say that during the commercials they did not promote the puppet show at all :(

The rest of their friday night programing however DID get promoted.

-Loki-
  4. TheJimHensonHour

Wow thats really sad..
  5. wickedpuppets

wickedpuppets New Member

well if you think about it, it really is not a very very bad idea....

test it out on the core demographic with little to no promotion, thus ensuring pretty much ONLY the core demographic will be tuned in to watch it.

once the show airs, wait and see exactly WHAT your core demographic says and does about the show, if it passes with them THEN promote the show on a wider scale.

I mean look exactly what happened within these 6 pages, now think about the same on a 'global scale' the more I think about it the more I have to say, this might have been a nice smart move to do it this way.

besides, as of Sunday you can watch the video online :)

-Loki-
  6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Just curious about some things: Do you watch any of the Harry Potter films? Ever watched Ellen Degeneres or Will and Grace? Do you like Kevin Spacey and watch his movies? Disney fan?

I agree with some of your sentiment, and understand your convictions; but, it isn't for you to condone actions of other humans. It's between them and God, and while it's okay to state your opinion and say "I won't watch it because I don't agree with the message it conveys," it is demeaning to others to point out a particular lifestyle as being the reason, especially to folks who live that lifestyle or folks like me who have an open heart and mind to my friends who may.

Not Gonzoleaper alone, but the other problem I have with the way that some of the "Christians" in this thread have been behaving is that you are NOT proving your 'Christian-lifestyle.' I have not seen one action/post that would bring someone closer to God, but rather push them away. Those actions alone cannot be judged wise by anyone of any religion, let alone the God we are supposed to represent and show his love to others in a way that it makes them want to become a part of that family as well.

All this from me, a Southern Baptist (also raised in churches of Pentecostal, Assembly of God, Missionary Baptist, and Catholic-run pre-school). I'm a "Southern Assembly of St. Bapticostal God." :zany:

Re: post above mine:
    Is there video online of Tinseltown that I haven't seen a link to?
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Tinseltown was the first 10 minute short subject to be shown in Logo network's Alien Boot Camp potpourri. Tinseltown will air online next week. The show was good. B to B- in my book. I'll form more of a review later. Going down the street for a beverage with my main squish. :concern:
  8. wickedpuppets

wickedpuppets New Member

News I was told was that as of October 4th Tinseltown will be streamed online via www.alienbootcamp.com

-Loki-
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Grading Tinseltown:

The Pitch: B+
    The show follows gay puppet life partners Bobby Vegan Pig, unemployed has-been actor, and Samson Knight Bull, his codependent manager, as they navigate their personal and professional lives together in Tinseltown. Characters include Foster (their teenage foster son), Autero (their limo driver/servant) and Lena (Samson's ex-wife/Bobby's best friend).

The Puppets: A+
    Eyes blink (I think this is a new thing being factored-into designs, even the Muppet Newsman had blinking eyes in the clips of France's Muppet TV that I have seen.), faces are expressive, materials are textured and constructed beautifully. Great classic Muppet design (and Bobby is a great improvement over the Muppet Christmas special's Howard the Pig). Samson the Bull actually has hooves. This is pulled-off nicely. The skillful performances of Bill Barretta and Brian Henson really shine through the thin material. I sometimes forget it's actually them. Well, until I hear Barretta's patented laugh. I have to admit it is infectious! :rolleyes:

The Humans: B
    They weren't really showcased yet. The Hungarian limo driver, Autero, has an amusing dead-pan. The son, Foster, has a brief walk-through. Lena, the ex-wife/best friend (Mia Sara) capably plays Patsy to Bobby's Eddy. (AbFab reference here)

The Writing: C
    Some of the humor was obvious. It appears the funniest moments are in the ad-libbing. Some visual gags. Most work, some miss. Technically the short-subject has a beginning, middle and end, but there's not much here to judge yet. Very little substance so far. Set-up, montage, tacked-on ending. So far the writing is mediocre. There is a line about diamonds when they go shopping that I found quite funny. :o

The Message: N/A
    As I thought, this is a gay Absolutely Fabulous with puppets. It sometimes plays to stereotype, but it is always known to be only referring to the lead characters in this program. The show is neither an endorsement nor condemnation. I just hope they go for less on-the-nose humor and remember that the greatest success of Henson and Muppet characters is the universal nature of the jokes. What I did like is the underlying affection the characters really do seem to have for one another.

The Verdict: B- (thus far)
    It's wait and see. Pilots are tough and this one is okay. Production values are fairly high and the performers are very talented. It's certainly the best/well produced bit on Alien Boot Camp (except for maybe the Rick & Steve bits). There was a "Lizzie" sketch I thought was funny. If you like AbFab, then give this a try. If that sort of humor is lost on you, skip it. :zany:
  10. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

i am ****** i missed this
  11. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

12. TheJimHensonHour

Oh Man the Puppets are amazing! I really wish this was at least a half hour show man it was funny.
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Leaper

Due to your post's stubborn and continual lack of respect for the feelings of others, it has been reported.
  14. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

There seems to be some confusion about the limitations on expressing personal opinions here. Let me try to clarify. Basically, it's a sort of Muppety version of the US laws surrounding freedom of speech. You are allowed to say whatever you want (within forum boundaries) so long as your speech does not interfere with the rights of other forum members.

Some phrases and terms are loaded, by which I mean they carry more meaning than may be intended because of how they are used in society. We have to be careful about the words we choose and the connotations they carry.

We want everyone to feel welcome at Muppet Central. That means sometimes we have to keep personal views and beliefs to ourselves because expressing them will make others feel unwelcome or attacked.

This is not a religious forum. This is a Muppet forum. When expressing religious views impedes the discussion of a Muppet production, we are going to come down on the side of the Muppet production. When expressing religious views can be read as an attack on other forum members, we are going to come down on the side of the other forum members.

We all have our own views and beliefs and (I hope) we all believe the views and beliefs we live by are the best options for us. That's great. That's also an individual choice and many, many different religious choices are represented on this board.

If your religious views dictate your feelings on Tinseltown, that's fine. We have absolutely no objection to that. If you would like to say something along the lines of "my religious views preclude me from watching this show" and leave it at that, go for it.

If, however, you feel a need to get into sins and sinners and religious dogma, it is going to be deleted because (a) this is not a religious forum (b) condemnation is just not Muppety and (c) for some forum members this reads as a personal attack. You can't call someone a sinner and claim you didn't know that would be inflammatory. Our beef is not with the religious feelings behind the words but with the way in which those feelings are being expressed.
  15. Luke

Luke Active Member

At the end of the day this is like any other TV/Movie or whatever, if you want to watch it, watch it. If you're against it then simply don't watch it. Like Quilter said how the forum is full of different peoples views, programming is made to suit different peoples tastes. An ultra religious right wing person wouldn't like their ultra religious right wing shows being censored in the same way this adult orientated puppetry sitcom has a right to exist. It's all a bit hypocritical, people need to lighten up, live and let live.

I haven't watched it fully yet, but i'm liking what i see.
  16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:zany: He he. "Peoples is peoples!" :zany:
  17. goshposh

goshposh Member

I just watched it. I thought it was good, except for the end. that was a little much. Sometimes you saw heads and arm sleeves though.
  18. wickedpuppets

wickedpuppets New Member

Ahhhhh You beat me to it lol, I was reading that post and the entire scene was running in my head..... Peoples is peoples.

-Loki-
  19. abiraniriba

abiraniriba New Member

Saw it not good

I saw it but I didn't like it and this has nothing to do with the characters sexuality, but would somebody please tell me why Bob Vegan didn't ask Samson what was wrong when he first discovered that his partner was making a dish that he wasn't particularly fond of rather than go on about his boring day, I mean if I came home from my classes or from a day of subbing to find that my wife was making a meal she knew I hated I'd know something was wrong the minute I walked in the kitchen (that is, unless it was chicken livers which is something I don't like that she likes so therefore in that case there doesn't necessarily have to be something wrong) and I'd stop worrying about myself and pay attention to her. Also the scene involving Samson cheating on Bob tells me that this couple needs help desparately. Rather than deal with their problems they just cheat on each other and feed their addictions. Hardly role models to tell me or anyone else for that matter that there's nothing wrong with homosexuality.
  20. TheJimHensonHour

Firtly it's a comdy puppet show made by 2 straight men.
    Couples of all kinds do those sort of things to teach each other lessons about being shallow jerks.
    Try living in los angeles for a bit and dating some one that shallow as mr. piggy there and you'll see.:D