Tinseltown News

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Creating an additional post for this as a bullet-point of another sort.​

This thread is in the Puppet Improv section of the Muppet Central Forum. Seeing the substance of Puppet Up! and Tinseltown (in language and tone) could cause objections from parents, it should be up to them to monitor the entire section for content.

:wink: Also, moderators, in order for them to better do so I think that maybe a Henson Alternative section might be in order for this content. I know that not all of puppetry improvisation has (what could be seen as) a course tone. As a once more involved staff member and now mainly a forum poster - I certainly have no problem with placing this (and other such threads) in that location.

:attitude: Placement of threads, topics and content are key on any forum. :attitude:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I also really don't think Jim Henson who worked and was friends with many known homosexuals would aprove of anyone coming down on anyone for who they are.
Life's hard enough without people hating you for who you are.
I can't wait for this show Brians got some big ones to do a show like this if you ask me.
I really think Jim would be proud and I hope it's as ground breaking as the muppet show was.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I really don't know what to say in this thread except that it was neither the work of Jim Henson or Jesus Christ to inspire anyone to condemn nor judge anyone around us, but to love them and work with them. My Jesus loved everyone, and that's good enough for me.

I'm opening Moderator Discussion regarding the situation.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
On to the podcast. Who watched it?

:cool: I've really said the gist of what I believe in my Starbucks comment. Seriously - it can get like a cult over there! It's coffee people! (ducks) He he. I intend to confine my posts to the characters, show, promotions, the Henson Alternative Company and the quality, portrayals and reactions of the content. I think that's what Beauregard was trying to say earlier. :embarrassed:

Anyone listen to Bobby Vegan on the Henson Podcast? Funny, but I'm still on the fence about the portrayal. I also wonder if there will be any cameos by modified anything Muppets, a distinctive profile, back or arm shot of a better-known character. Maybe a chicken or penguins would make sense these days. :zany: I doubt much of that, but who knows?

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
That would be great to see some of the puppet up puppets make cameos on the show :smile:

wickedpuppets

Reaction score
Wow this thread REALLY has it all, I laughed, I cried, I shivered a little bit.

I find it truly odd that the majority of the masses out there FORGET that Jim Created the Muppet Show FOR ADULTS.... before you grab the pitchforks and recruit an angry mob, stop and remember Jim & Kermit's "Mystery Guest" spot Novermber 16th 1974 on "What's My Line?" (Sorry Can't find the video right this sec)

On that show when they interviewd Jim & Kermit, Jim said that he was working on a puppet show for ADULTS called The Muppet Show, he went on to explain that he STARTED doing shows for adults, and after the success of SS for children's television he wanted to get back to making more shows for adults.

The Muppets have ALWAYS been "Edgy" wether you want to admit it or not, smoking, guns, explosions, and jabs at religion were all over the shows and movies... remember The Muppet Movie? ANYTIME a human char was "Lost" one of the muppets would respond with "Have you tried Hari-Chrisna?"

Jim and company have always done a wonderfull job of thinking outside the box, I'm saddend that anyone would shun or judge a show simply on an outline.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that this show would be like making a show about fat people and putting them in illfitted clothing and make ft jokes. They ALREADY DID THAT lol, It was the Pig seg on Muppets Tonight about the world's "Largest Family" it stared the butler and the huge pig in a castle.

finally before I ramble too much one more thing bugged the living heck out of me in this thread, well alot did, but this one stands out....

"Greg the bunny is fine, but this is the real thing" (Paraphrased a bit)

I don't know what exactly what that was supposed to mean, but I took it that Because GTB was NOT a henson show then it didn't count as a "Real" Puppet show, I feel that is pretty closed minded thinking, becase with that logic, Sid & Marty Kroft's shows didn't count, nor did the great space coaster, hot fudge, puppets who kill, spitting image, DC follies, Crank Yankers, and wondershowzen (and more I know i'm forgeting)

Greg the Bunny was the first Puppet show on mainstream primetime in many years, and it brought puppetry back to the mainstream media, shortly after it came 3 more puppet shows so how could that show "not have counted?"

Anyway, I for one have the calander marked, and can not wait to see what Brian and Co. do with this new vechical.

Finally let me remind you that "The Muppets" are pretty much gone, meaning unless Disney creates more shows the best we can hope for is that Brian and his siblings create more and more show so that the vision of their father can and will live on.

with just that shouldn't we give them all the support we can?

-Loki-

(Spelling and grammer flubs left in cause i'm too tired to spellcheck lol)

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
In addition to being very accepting of the significant role religion plays in people's lives and the desire some people feel to share their religious views, MC has also always been a place where we try to make everyone feel welcome and accepted.

MC is almost as diverse as the Muppets themselves (all we need are some chickens and penguins...). While I understand that different religious views dictate different understsandings, MC (at least as I have always understood it) must be a place where no one is condemned for who they are. When we start talking about trying to hate the sin and not the sinner, we are judging some forum and staff members. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and I am NOT saying everyone needs to think as I think, but I am saying it is not okay to express your personal religious views in a way that is hurtful to other members of the forum.

Now, someone toss some penguins in the air (that always clears the air and lowers blood pressure-- well, maybe not the penguin's blood pressure) and lets get back to talking about the new Henson show and leave the theological debates to other threads and forums.

I, for one, can't wait to see what Bill and Brian have created. Sometimes they are a little more stereotypical than I like but they're talented and fun and they've been taking more risks in their work lately and I always admire that-- even when the risks don't pan out.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Can't say I'm excited about this one. I'd rather not see Henson puppets doing any adult themes whatsoever. (Yes, I know Jim Henson did stuff for adults- like the Land of Gorch skits on Saturday Night Live. I don't care for those either.) And yeah, there's adult moments here and there on The Muppet Show and other things.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Everyone, please, please, please take a deep breath and think very carefully before you post.

This is not a theological thread. This is not a theological site. This is a Muppet site. If we learned anything from the Muppet Show it is that there is space for ALL. If your personal views are such that you have a problem with the details of other people's personal lives, please try to keep those views to yourself and remember you are in a space where we work hard not to say things that may insult other forum members.

I don't think anyone has been intentionally hurtful but religious beliefs are not an excuse to say things that are intolerant toward entire groups of people. When we call one another sinners, we are being judgemental and condemning and we are spreading hurt and pain and hate. As far as I can tell that is pretty much the opposite of everything Muppety and everything Jim Henson did.

If you aren't excited about Tinseltown, that's fine. You have every right to say so. However, you can do so politely and in a manner that is respectful to both the content of the show and to all forum members. Keep in mind none of us have even seen this show yet! I'm betting this will be a show more about Hollywood and the people who work there than a show about adult relationships.

Please remember that there are many here who have a very different view and are excited to see Henson do some adult shows and include gay characters. Everyone has a right to express their view. No one has a right to force their views on others and no one has a right to say things in a way that insults other forum members. Truly, what has happened in this thread has been exremely hurtful, insulting and inflammatory and I would like to thank the forum members who have expressed their concerns in a calm, thoughtful manner.