Tinseltown News

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Actually I'm not sure

Just prior to making my post I saw a link for alienbootcamp.com and it looked like it was on your post then when I went in to make my reply it disappeared.
I went to the muppet wiki and found a similar link and tried it, but got redirected to a broken link for alienbookcamp.com. I don't know what's going on here, maybe because of the broken link the post was deleted

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, something's up with that link. I've been hearing about that from several people. I hope it's functioning by next week! :eek:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I listened to the pod cast on henson.com and i think that this will be well writen and show. I think that Brian and Bill have had way to much free time on there hands though to create something like this, but it should be really funny.
On the gay issue I am a Christian and i have really been taught that that is a wrong way of life for many years, but this show is not my life. this is a lifestyle that we know have to face in this world, and i don't want to say i totaly agree with it I'm just saying that as for me it is not going to be a majior issue in my Christian walk. I am a happly married man and i know that i will not become gay. so i know that some people are and ya know im not God so i am not going to jugde them.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I listened to the pod cast on henson.com and i think that this will be well writen and show. I think that Brian and Bill have had way to much free time on there hands though to create something like this, but it should be really funny.
On the gay issue I am a Christian and i have really been taught that that is a wrong way of life for many years, but this show is not my life. this is a lifestyle that we know have to face in this world, and i don't want to say i totaly agree with it I'm just saying that as for me it is not going to be a majior issue in my Christian walk. I am a happly married man and i know that i will not become gay. so i know that some people are and ya know im not God so i am not going to jugde them.
Trust me it's not a lifestyle I've been this way my entire life and I have no clue why they call it being "gay" cause I sure as heck am not happy about it.
I mean seriously think about it most gay men or prissy idiots or sluts I really don't like being this way and I didn't choose it.
I've been single for 5 years so yeah it's not an easy way to live at all.
But it is no means my choice it can be wrong and whatnot but I dont believe that for a minute considering the fact that god doesn't make junk and theres so many of us. Also don't forget to hate the sin and love the sinner.
Lol watching a show about homos is not going to turn anyone gay oh boy that's just silly to think that might even happen.:stick_out_tongue:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Not sure this is the best place for a conversation on the issues surrounding those presented in the show...Probably best if we just stick to production values, and character voicing debates.

I, for one, am very interested to see this thing if it ever makes its way over here...and I love the character designs.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A friendly (on-topic) rant (for lack of a better word)

I agree. It's not a lifestyle.

It's a common mistake of language that is made - even by people I admire. Lifestyle implies choice and most in the GLBT community, including myself, don't feel that there is one. My response to the "lifestyle" comments is usually, “Lifestyle? Hey, it's not like on Tuesdays we wear hats! Or at least I didn't get the memo!" And I'm shiny enough to have gotten one!

My life is creating, working, hanging out with friends and family, stopping by Muppet Central, seeing movies, courting my partner until we make that big commitment and maybe someday start a family. It’s the fact that we are both of the same sex that the term “lifestyle” comes up and it makes very little sense. There are those who go to a lot of parties – gay and heterosexual. It’s usually an aspect of the lives of young people. I believe that’s where the (lifestyle-term) confusion begins. :confused:

That and the yearly parades that only get coverage of the most extreme participants on the news while most people I know don’t even attend the function. It’s like lumping all religious people with the few that aggressively hand out pamphlets in Union Square. Whether such politicking is right or wrong, the point is that that segment of those particular religious organizations represent a fraction of a fraction and are unfairly considered being the majority.

Honestly, if I hadn't been exposed to so many good examples of Christianity (as many of my friends have only seen some negative elements) I might just dismiss the whole lot. But I see the value in it. I see what the religion, sprituality and (most importantly) belief does in the lives of its followers. Much of the doctrine and philosopy are not for me, but I will not think less of the people subscribe to them. :smile:

But seriously, that terminology, however common, is seen as dismissive and serves to diminish meaningful dialogue on the issue. I find this the perfect place to address the topic. Understanding is a value that everyone should share and it's a very Muppety value as well. I am still upset that there is no link on the main MC site page about this project! If it takes me writing a review for it to see it listed up there, I'll do it. Also, seriously, the main page could do with a little fresh content anyway. :cool:

Now, bringing this statement into topic - I hope Tinseltown doesn't roll things back into picking a particular fringe element and displaying it as the whole. But it's Muppets. Nothing's sacred. And yes, I am looking to see if the term "lifestyle" is used in Tinseltown.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
It's a matter of opinion

Actually, I don't really think this is a topic for this forum, but since this is an area in the forum that most parents will probably take measures to restrict their children from going to I will try to tackle it in as tactful a way as possible.

The question as to whether one is born homosexual or one becomes homosexual as a result of a series of bad choices is now a hot topic of debate. The Bible, however, which is the book that defines our life for folks like Gonzoleaper, Pork and myself, speaks strongly against homosexuality in many places, and, therefore, as far as it is concerned it is a choice one can make or not make and ideally one should choose not to make it.

The main thing to remember is that even if homosexuality is genetic we must remember that for humans DNA is not necessarily destiny, we can and do make moral choices. For example, it has now been shown that addictions of many kinds are genetically determined, however, with much effort people can choose whether or not to act on these genetically determined urges, and thus a choice is made, and DNA has not lead to an irreversible destiny.

Also to all my brothers and sisters out there we too must be careful to hate the sin and love the sinner. I know it's not easy, but it is the best way to deal with this topic.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Why does thread have to become a *Christian* debate?

This thread of the forum is about a show called "Tinseltown News". Tinseltown is a show that deals with gay characters created by the alternative division of the Jim Henson Company. Neither the show nor the thread is really about the Good Book. :embarrassed:

There is a thread about Christianity here where Biblical insights, studies and debates are made. That really is not this thread. My post was mainly in reply to a couple other posts in order to create a dialogue of understanding and common ground than religious preaching of a particular theological substance. Understanding is a central part of the Henson legacy. :smile:

He reportedly could have had Christian beliefs but that is not for anyone to say because he never made it an issue and such speculation (for that and other obvious reasons) is not appropriate. His work, again, was always about understanding.

Now, of course since the show deals with openly gay characters, this is somewhat of a thread about gay issues. What I took away from dwayne's post was the term "lifestyle", an entirely unhelpful term in any meaningful dialogue in my experience 33 years around Christians and 17 years out of the closet. It is that unnecessary word (widely seen as rhetoric) placed into this thread that I objected to. Again, in my experience - One's daily trip to Starbucks is more of a lifestyle than being gay is.

My response was about terminology, not (so much) about a sociological or DNA rant. I specifically stayed away from any criticism about the whole of Christianity. I do have quite a few opinions on the matter, but chose to leave it alone due to the fact that touching on it in (again) an understanding way was the best course of action.

I certainly don't mind the debate, but there is a (long-running) place for that sort of thing and it is here: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=24812&highlight=church

This thread should remain about the show, the characters and its portrayal of gay people. However, if the show begins to create reason for a religious debate - well then all bets are off. That's honest, legitimate and fair.

If this thread, or any other on this program, gets closed down I expect the religious ones to go too. Why is it that members are more respectful about the Christian threads here and not as much with this one that is actually about a Henson program being launched this week? Food for thought.

I always thought Christains were supposed to use a healthy measure of grace when approaching such issues. That would be very welcome here. :sympathy: