Tinseltown News

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree. I really hope the characters are well developed and are not just presented as the one-note joke of "look I'm a Gay puppet". I hope they give these characters unique quirks and characteristics that make them funny, original, irreverent, heartfelt, flawed, relatable and a little zany - and not just fall into the trap of becoming that overused and clichéd stereotypical gay character we’ve all seen a million times and never develop them outside that - you can only sustain a character for so long on that before it wears thin and I don't know if you could carry a series on characters as one-dimensional as that. You need rich and unique characters.
That is one of the main reasons I couldn't find it funny.

Doing a show like that is tantamount to making a show about fat people, and instead of making it about them as characters, just putting them in illfitting clothes and having them eat large ammounts of food in every scene.

The trick to making shows like this work is that you can throw in a stereotype now and then, but we do not need to reinforce what we know. While it does explain the character, it shouldn't define the character.

(Plus I also hated W+G cuz Sean Hayes made Jar Jar Binks look like Gregory Peck).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have many conflicting feelings about Will & Grace. I like Sean Hays, but feel he should have been held back a little from his antics on the show. At times he was the (dare I say it) gay equivalent of "Sambo". I very much enjoyed Karen and Grace. Funny, huh? I enjoyed the female characters the most.

I think Tinseltown could work. There's another Logo show "Rick and Steve" that's an animated Lego-ish world of characters that walks a thin line successfully in my opinion. But I tend to have a very irreverent sense of humor and can laugh at my own freakiness: an artistic and scattered gay blond guy with a Muppety bouncing stride to my walk. Hey, maybe I could audition to be a Muppet on the show. He he.

Getting back to topic - the self-medicating part of Tinseltown's pitch does concern me a bit, but I don't think they'll go too far with it. I'm thinking things will be more in the abstract Puppet Up realm. I'm really looking forward to Tinseltown! High hopes, but lower expectations. (Right now wondering what Jerry Falwell would have said about this? That would have been fun to hear.)

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
(Right now wondering what Jerry Falwell would have said about this? That would have been fun to hear.)
I have him on a direct line what's that Mr. Falwell? He says get me out of here it's very hot and he didn't fall to well. yeah I'm bad at jokes blame the bear he was my coach:embarrassed:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I saw the ad for Tinseltown

I saw the ad for Tinseltown. Even though I have my own views on homosexuality itself, I think it can be a very funny show and I would love to see a few eps when it comes out. Especially since its set in CA land of fruits and nuts

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I saw the ad for Tinseltown. Even though I have my own views on homosexuality itself, I think it can be a very funny show and I would love to see a few eps when it comes out. Especially since its set in CA land of fruits and nuts
I know you're intention is to be funny, but please tone it down. I'm not going on the church people threads and making puns because it wouldn't be respectful and appropriate. There's room for everyone at Muppet Central. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Meh...she (abiraniriba) used such a tired expression. If there are to be any jabs I at least expect them to be clever, not cliqued. :rolleyes:

Also, in the context of the post it did seem to be judgemental. There are many cliques about New York as well, but I am respectful (aside from the fact that I have also lived in Manhattan). :wink: I always tell my partner that if we didn't live in San Fancisco, we'd be in New York. Car-less city life. Nothing like it! Good on the legs too! :big_grin:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Meh...she (abiraniriba) used such a tired expression. If there are to be any jabs I at least expect them to be clever, not cliqued. :rolleyes:

Also, in the context of the post it did seem to be judgemental. There are many cliques about New York as well, but I am respectful (aside from the fact that I have also lived in Manhattan). :wink: I always tell my partner that if we didn't live in San Fancisco, we'd be in New York. Car-less city life. Nothing like it! Good on the legs too! :big_grin:
I was just saying words are words meaning our people have allot more to be worrying about than some ones remarks on a message board.
That's all.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Okay, I'm sorry

Actually, it was a typo I was kind of tired when I made the post. I meant to put in that CA has long been called the land of fruits and nuts, not that it is the land of fruits and nuts, besides we got enought of those right here in NYC, and no they don't all live in the Village. I know a few people from CA and I know that not everybody there is either homosexual or crazy. Note to my fellow church people and YEC's such as pork the ICR headquarters and museum are out there.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
mmhmmm *hands you shovel to keep diggin' a deeper hole* lol
Anyways people are people it doesn't matter who you are or who you worship people are people and that's all that should matter.