1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Too old for Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Dec 31, 2002.

1. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Though I could do without the coporate over-saturation and over-monopolization of his character, because it is those things that have caused hatred towards Elmo & the Street in general.

I mean, the overuse of Elmo is why some sad people now showcase YouTube videos of them blowing up Tickle Me Elmo dolls, why these same people edit classic clips starring Elmo so that Elmo ends up mutilated in some way, and why these people get DeviantART accounts just so they can draw more pics of Elmo--as some of them have put it--"getting his just deserts".

It is during times like the above that I am saddened for Elmo & am even ashamed for defending him, because--aside from the people here--all other so-called fans seem to square the blame of the Street going down in popularity with older generations upon Elmo's three-year-old, furry and red shoulders when the glorification of his character is not the fault of either he or his performer, Kevin Clash.
  2. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Well, I, for one, would never be rude to Elmo if I met him. :halo:

Now, I might want a drink afterwards, but it's not his fault, like pooh said, that he's Sesame's new cash cow.
  3. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Indeed. Everything sadly focuses around ratings and money these days, even public television.
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well especially public television, they need it more than most. ;)
  5. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Yeah, but it doesn't mean they need to divide up fanbases or anything, does it?
  6. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I agree that Elmo's overexposure (not the character himself, or his performer) is ONE thing among several which have sent Sesame Street's quality down the drain. Sesame Workshop has been hit hard--by competing TV producers, a shrinking budget, and popular opinion about what preschoolers shouldn't learn from TV. None of those problems are the fault of any character/performer on the show; still, Elmo's dominant role makes it easy for detractors to turn him into the symbol of "everything that's wrong with Sesame Street these days".
  7. RedPiggy

It's school, too. Schools and SS went from educating the young to pandering to their ignorant and sheltered parents.
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

*lol* I am not a parent yet but I am sheltered. But I just thought I would add my two cents and say that there are different levels of sheltered upbringing... and not all of us grow up to be ignorant tv and 'everything I watched when I was little is now magically evil' hating...people with little ones :coy:. Those people are crazy IMHO :(!
  9. RedPiggy

Well, I'll concede to a little bit of spoilage too. :D However, it seems like some parents want their children to get good jobs, but without knowing anything. Most of my education was redundancy personified. If I didn't read stuff on my own as a hobby, I'd be drooling on some ... you know, I was going to finish that sentence but I'm sure I'd end up offending someone.

Anyway, case in point: Cookie Monster. Would it have been SO difficult for parents to explain to their kids that, as a cookie monster, he ate cookies all the time, though it wasn't safe for human kids ... just like birds eat worms but we don't go around eating that, dung beetles eat dung, etc. Why does he have to conform to human nutrition standards when he's not human?

Sigh. Rant over.
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I read to get away from the world..and I still do :). But even when I was little I knew that Cookie Monster and everything lived in a universe were he could do things I couldn't...

*grumbles about her ma never giving her cookies..or soda...or food coloring*
    Although, there was that time I tried a radish for the first time because of fraggle rock..but that was different...Blah, I still hate the taste of radishes :p
  11. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Or better yet, we know that our appliances couldn't come to life and talk amongest themselves ala TBLT, though it'd be awesome if they could.
  12. SparkytheGator

SparkytheGator New Member

What a joke......
  13. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

What's a joke? Sesame Street is far from a joke.
  14. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Seeing the Elmo Rowl that happened before, I do think (and have preivously stated) that he is a bit of a revenue raiser, but if I met Elmo, I would not be disrespectful to either the puppet or Kevin. Heck, it would be fun to meet Elmo. But as a money magnet he brings in the funds and popularity for the rest of the show.
  15. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

The point is that it's not Elmo or Kevin's fault that the character is a money maker.
  16. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

*nods sadly* If Sesame Workshop didn't have to worry so much about merchandising tie-ins to stay out of debt, maybe the producers wouldn't feel compelled to push the popular characters and neglect the others.
  17. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

But the plus side of this deal is that nowadays, unlike 1998-2007, Elmo is primarily regulated to his EW skit. Not that I don't like Elmo, but when he appears in his segment and in Street scenes, it's a little much, IMHO.
  18. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Elmo has become less likable and less of a "team player" than he was in the 80s/early 90s. Still, I can hardly blame the character (or Kevin Clash) for that trend; the writers and producers are just adapting to Elmo as a superstar with his own regular show-in-a-show.

On the other hand, I agree that there is such a thing as using a character (even a good, popular one) too much in the same episode. Letting Elmo dominate a street story and get 20 minutes to himself is overkill, so I'm glad Sesame Workshop is trying to reverse the trend.
  19. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Yeah, but that's basically encouraging the idea that the Street has become less of a family & more about Elmo, which is--quite frankly--a stupid notion, in all honesty.

I think most old-school fans agree with this trend reversal (especially since EW itself can't seem to get removed for its own show in the U.S. like it has in European countries).
  20. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Yeah well, I think Elmo should be a little bit, not alot; more "öut there" so to speak, because quite frankly in recent seasons I think there has been too much Telly and Baby Bear as main male characters, and not enough of the others. The hat contest episode featured Elmo, but he shared the spotlight with Zoe. Female muppet-centric storylines are fine, as they have Rosita, Abby and Zoe all together, which works *because they're freinds*. Most characters get a decent story to themselves a season; but IHaven't seen Grover too central to a story recently.