Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

Hubert

Reaction score
OK, I'll have to add some of the misconceptions I've heard from people:

Y'know how the Swedish Chef has been running around with a clever a lot lately? Well there's now people thinking that he runs around and chops people's heads off with it. :sigh:

One time two of my friends (who were casual fans), decided to dress up as the Yip-Yip Martians for Halloween. And people kept commenting in the background to others, "Hey look, it's Cookie Monster!" for the blue one and "Hey, it's Elmo!" for the red one.

People are really confused about how the Muppets are performed. Some people think that they are on sticks and the puppeteers hold up these characters on sticks. One person even thought that there was a person inside every single Muppet and was shocked to find out that only the big ones like Big Bird have people inside of them.

I used to think Crazy Harry's name was Bruno. You have to admit, the two do look alike.

I was looking at Youtube comments for the Muppet Movie, and here are a few misconceptions that showed up with that:

Robin's name is Tiny Kermit.
Frank Oz has always performed Kermit.
Jim Henson trained a bunch of people to do Kermit's voice.
Jim Henson was able to still do a fine Kermit in the 2011 movie before he died.
Follow That Bird is Jim Henson's first movie.
Kermit was lip synching in TMM
Bernie the Agent was played by Don Rickles.
Arnie is the name of Dom DeLuise's character.
Elton John was the El Sleezo piano player.
Brian Muehl was the El Sleezo piano player.
Disney has always owned the Muppets.
Jim Henson performed Kermit, Fozzie, Miss Piggy, Big Bird and Oscar.
Frank Oz performed Oscar.
Bernadette Peters played the myth woman.

And then people always misspell Muppet names:
Kermet
Mrs. Piggy
Big Birth
Fauzy
Fozzy
Fonzie
Fozy

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was looking at Youtube comments for the Muppet Movie, and here are a few misconceptions that showed up with that:
You mean someone was wrong on the Internet?! GASP! :concern:

Jim Henson trained a bunch of people to do Kermit's voice.
Yeah clearly not, though I'm very impressed with Richard Hunt's Kermit voice in that Henson Workshop clip. I couldn't believe that wasn't Jim!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One person even thought that there was a person inside every single Muppet and was shocked to find out that only the big ones like Big Bird have people inside of them.
Well, when I was a little kid, I didn't make the connection that Muppets were puppets... so, considering they're smaller than people, I had assumed that there were little kids "wearing" them like costumes, while adults did the voices.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I swear that's said mostly by humorless people who hate the Muppets specifically enough to want to insult Jim and his body of work. I really wish the show Greg the Bunny made a joke about calling a puppet a "sock" was tantamount to a racial slur. It is to me. Unless the puppet is specifically a sock.
There actually was an episode of Greg the Bunny where they do this. Someone apparently wrote the "S word" (as they prefer to call it) in the men's bathroom wall, and the whole cast and crew had to undergo a puppet sensitivity training session.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
another one for the muppets 2011 i was in the theater and a boy asked his mom where was elmo ernie and bert i told him these were the muppets not sesame street

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
At least he knew who Ernie and Bert were! I find kids today get more fixated on Elmo, Abby, and Cookie Monster than the other guys. :frown: Ernie and Bert were always my favorite characters! :super:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
another one for the muppets 2011 i was in the theater and a boy asked his mom where was elmo ernie and bert i told him these were the muppets not sesame street
They're still Muppets too, just a separate entity.