1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by beaker, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, YouTube - the Kingdom of Trolls.

RowlfFan12 and Twisted Tails like this.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's an old Stereotype. Mainly because weed (as well as alcohol) impairs your judgement and makes you think stupid things. Not to mention the egregious misconception that Weed is a powerful hallucinogenic. Weed makes you either a giggly idiot or paranoid, cocaine makes you jumpy... LSD is the thing that supposedly makes you wildly hallucinogenic. I don't touch the stuff, just like reading theories being debunked.

Now, the secret to creating something truly wild? Keep a book next to the bed. When you wake up in the middle of the night half asleep, you can come up with the craziest crap imaginable (sometimes directly from your dreams) because it always sounds better when your really dead tired and things don't make sense. All without the assistance of drugs.

3. FunnyBear

FunnyBear Active Member

Some idiots say Oscar is weed

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  4. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Well-Known Member

Someone on a Muppets from Space video that was on YouTube (no longer there) called Clifford "Floyd." While I will admit that they do look somewhat alike, and they do have similar personalities, the confusion is still annoying.

Also, I hate with the burning fiery passion of a thousand suns when people call puppeteers "voice actors." No disrespect to voice acting, but it is different from puppetry.

Mo Frackle likes this.
  5. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

That's what bothers me too. I considers puppeteers "performers", not voice actors. Voice acting is very different from puppeteering, but yeah YouTube is full of trolls, liars, foes, and a bunch of monsters (Growls).

6. CountFan1998

CountFan1998 Active Member

A fiery show? Well, that's nothing to lose your head about! :laugh:

"Hey, her head don't come off!" "Well of course it doesn't!"
    "Hey lady, where you go with a head like that?"
    "I know what we can do, take off her head!"
    Either that or someone just needs to chilly down... :D

7. StevieOpossum

StevieOpossum Active Member

When people are referring to Sesame Street, and call it "Elmo" instead... :boo:
    (guess they only saw Elmo's World)

muppetgem likes this.
  8. CountFan1998

CountFan1998 Active Member

I always got them mixed up too because Statler totally looks like a "Waldorf" to me, and vice versa!

Thank you ever so much for addressing that... :D I can't stand when people say that; I'm tell them it's just a rumor, and they're like "No it's not..." just because they know it'll mess with me!!! :grr: Then again, they're the same people that think both Muppets and Sesame Street belong in the same category of "only of kids/babies" I'd beg to differ- a baby watching classic TMS? With explosions, large monsters and eating of other characters? I'd hate to be in their shoes... especially if they were watching the Phyllis Diller episode... Hugga Wugga invented Nightmare Fuel...

Well, that's what it's become since 1996 with the release of (well, you know what I mean...:laugh:) on store shelves... I'm surprised they haven't jumped the gun and called it "Elmo Street". :rolleyes: He's taken a large role in everything from toys to video games (Ever see a recent SS game with Big Bird in the starring role? I thought so... correct me if I'm wrong...), and almost all of the current SSL shows have Elmo's name in the title.

Elmo overload, perhaps?

YES, but I probably should've saved that for another thread... Sorry! :o

StevieOpossum likes this.
  9. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

Oh wow...just heard a new one earlier tonight:

"Did you hear? The Muppets are finally coming back! It's great. Just when I thought they were dying..."

HUBBA-WHAT?!!!

:mad:

There needs to be a "facepalm" emoticon here. Seriously.

10. BeakerJanice

BeakerJanice Active Member

I hate it when somebody say ,,Fonzie"or on all my DVDs ,,Fozzi"... And I hate it when somebody don't see the love between two characters like ,,Janice and Floyd aren't in love!"Like what?? I hate it too when they call beaker ,,carrottop"or something like that :mad:

11. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

The only thing I've only heard is when people mix up Elmo's World and Elmo the Musical. I don't know why this annoys me so much, but it does. :p I don't know how you mix them up when they have separate intros, and totally different looks to them. :laugh:

12. BeakerJanice

I think I have elmos world on PC,but it still ISN'T THE SAAAME!!

13. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

Do you mean you have the show on your computer? :p I have some myself. I miss my old DVR; it had a bunch of 1998-2005 Sesame episodes on it.

14. BeakerJanice

I mean I have a Sesame Street CD-Rom,it's pretty old :)

15. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

I can finally add a comment to this section that may amuse some...

A couple of months ago, my partner was getting in my car which ALWAYS has a Muppet album playing (my iPhone playlist is probably 95% Muppets so it's fairly predicable that they will be playing during any journey!!) and my partner of 17 years said something that I will never, EVER let her live down...

As a pre-cursor to what she said and brief (re)introduction, I, like most of you good folk on here, am a Muppet-nut!!! I love em!! I am always surrounded by them, always watching them and always listening to them. It would be a fairly safe assumption that anyone who spends anytime with me would be very familiar with the Muppets!

Anyhoot, what she unforgivably said as she got in my car and "The Rainbow Connection" was blaring out was "awwwwwww c'mon, don't you EVER get bored of hearing Muppet The Frog sing?????"

That my friends, is annoying!!

muppetgem and theSHE124 like this.
  16. RowlfFan12

RowlfFan12 Member

I don't know how much of this has already been stated, but I wanted to put in my two cents/what I have heard.
    - When people have the same attitude that Miss Piggy did in the Lesle Uggams show (about Sesame Street. "Isn't that the cute children's show with puppets?") about The Muppet Show, or anything Muppet related.
    - Piggy backing off of my last point, when I bring up the violence that was in the early Muppet stuff (or any violence anywhere in the Muppet universe) and people get disgusted with it and act like "that's not what I grew up with".
    - People blaming the Jim Henson Company for stuff Sesame Street does, or the lack of Muppets. Or when people just can't get over the fact that there may not ever be another gathering of Muppets (aka Muppet Family Christmas) due to everyone being owned by different companies.
    - Everything made after Jim Henson died is utter crap. Well, Muppets Tonight may not have been great, but there's been a lot of other stuff that is really good!
    - 'But that's none of my business'. No. *shudders* I hate that so much.
    - I've actually heard Steve Whitmire's last name pronounced "Whit-mer" instead of what I've usually heard.

17. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

Hmm let's see...

• When people complain about the lack of Jason Segel and/or Amy Adams in MMW.:rolleyes:
    • Same here, @LoveRowlf212, I'm not so much of a fan of those "That's None of my Business" memes...
    • When somebody says their childhood is ruined when he/she sees a picture of a muppeteer(s) performing...:sigh:

BeakerJanice likes this.
  18. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Not really a misnaming, but it gets on my nerve when people call Statler and Waldorf, those two old guys in the balcony, how hard is it to pronounce their names, it seems to be the more common name for them by the general public.

RowlfFan12 likes this.
  19. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Well-Known Member

That one doesn't bother me so much, because if people aren't big muppet fans it makes sense that they don't know them.

It's kinda like how some people are super into things like Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Comic Books, Pokemon, etc. If I'm talking about any of those things I'm sure Ill end up butchering names and references, so out of fairness I have to understand people who aren't as into Muppets as me....that being said if Someone IS a muppet fan then I agree, call them by their names!

LinkiePie<3 and charlietheowl like this.
  20. Grifoshka

Grifoshka Active Member

That has been pointed out several times already, but what really bothers me is when people think "Anything with Muppets=Sesame Street" and "Sesame Street is a stupid show for toddlers", especially without watching it. Like when I introduced my friend (who's a huge Bowie fan) to Fraggle Rock and she really seemed to be interested. And then, at her birthday party, she was talking about Bowie and asked me: "How did you discover Labyrinth? Oh, I know, because the guy who was behind Sesame Street directed it! You watch this stuff, right?" Everyone just smiled at me condescendingly, and I was like "...Argh". Why won't people watch some Muppets?