1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by beaker, Dec 16, 2009.

1. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

i never found Walter to be any of the above, i see nothing wrong with Walter. at first he seemed like he upstaged scooter , but that quickly stopped .

WalterLinz likes this.
  2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Ju mean like Rolf or Ralph the Dog? Or even worse, Peggy? :(

3. HuggaMahna

HuggaMahna New Member

Possibly the worst one yet:

Was looking online for Muppet plushes...saw one labelled "Gonzo the Great Doll".

It was Minnie Mouse.

How do you mess that up!?! It was a complete ripoff too, it was 75 dollars.

Dominicboo1 likes this.
  4. HuggaMahna

HuggaMahna New Member

Bad mispelling: Burt and Earny :(

5. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

@HuggaMahna
    "Burton Earny" was the name of the guy who composed the classic internet song meme "The Llama Song"

I've also seen closed captioning on at least one Sesame Street DVD ("Dance Along") that spells it "Burt". Yikes.

6. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

I saw closed captioning that said"Canthus" instead of Cantus

7. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

Growing up with Muppet videos back in Ohio, my family likes that stuff, so I don't hear much critical or controversial statements from them (Sarcastic? maybe, I tend to take things too literally!)

But mistakes can still happen: my friend Debbie accidentally called Jim Henson "George Henson"! :eek: Also, as I'd posted earlier, Dad tried to tell Mom the news of his death as "He's was the guy who performed Miss Piggy..." but I like said! He knew soon enough of his wrong guess.

Anyway, this is a rockin' thread here! :cool: We could create a quiz outta this--one that would separate those of true fanatics from the trollons! [Trollon: as in both moron and troll as I saw somewhere here...]

8. The Count

Here's a new one for you... Please welcome your favorite funny furry comedian, Fosize Bear!

JimAndFrank and theSHE124 like this.
  9. Harleena

Harleena Well-Known Member

Mine are:
    • "Fozzy Bear"
    • "Janis"
    • When people think that the 2011 movie is the first Muppet film. I'm not kidding, I actually met someone like this.
    • "Aren't Bert and Ernie a couple?"
    • I've actually met a person who said that Jim Hansen created the Muppets. It's spelled HENSON! H-E-N-S-O-N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • "It's Veggie Monster now."
    • "The Muppets are for babies."
    • "Rolf/Ralph/Rowlph/etc." I remember that they had the Disney pin which said "Rolf" on it. I saw it when I was buying some pins, because the saleswoman had a whole vest of pins of pretty much everything ever.

Bliffenstimmers likes this.
  10. The Count

Yes, the "Rolf" pin was discussed by us Muppet fans or Walters now back when the Disney Pincast was up and running.

11. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

It could be worse, someone might mistake Kermit the Frog for a lizard:

According to the Character Origins section of Kermit's bigraphy:
    http://www.muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Kermit_the_Frog

The earliest version of Kermit first appeared in 1955 on Sam and Friends, Jim Henson's five-minute puppet show that aired twice daily on WRC-TV. The soon-to-be-famous frog had humble origins, as Henson explained in 1977: "I'd paint the scenery, and Janie would carry it in the station wagon. We made the first Kermit from one of my mother's old coats with Ping-Pong balls for his eyes." Kermit was built in March 1955. The character, however, was first copyrighted in 1956.

In the early days of the character, Kermit wasn't yet a frog -- he was more of a lizard-like, abstract character. As Henson explained, "Kermit started out as a way of building, putting a mouth and covering over my hand. There was nothing in Kermit outside of the piece of cardboard -- it was originally cardboard -- and the cloth shape that was his head. He's one of the simplest kinds of puppets that you can make, and he's very flexible because of that... which gives him a range of expression."

In later years, Henson said that Kermit didn't become a frog until the 1971 special The Frog Prince, a claim that made its way into the 1993 book Jim Henson: The Works.
    However, Kermit's froghood asserted itself as early as 1965, when Johnny Carson referred to him as "Kermit the Frog" on a December 31st Tonight Show appearance. The 1966 Montgomery Wards catalog which featured the Ideal Muppet puppets refers to Kermit as a "fanciful frog". Kermit refers to himself as a frog in the 1968 special The Muppets on Puppets. The special Hey Cinderella!, which was recorded in 1968, featured a redesigned Kermit puppet; his round feet were replaced with flippers, and he was given a fringed collar with thirteen points. By the time that Kermit appeared on the Sesame Street Pitch Reel, he was a full-fledged frog.

heralde likes this.
  12. snichols1973

Announcer: "And now, the moment you've all been waiting for: The Muffets Go to the Movies"!
    :): That's Muppets! The Muppets Go to the Movies!
    :o: I never could spell.

Announcer: And now, The Muppets Go to the Movies!

heralde and theSHE124 like this.
  13. snichols1973

From The Muppet Movie (1979):

Prof. Krassman (Mel Brooks): We take your friend, the little F-O-R-G, put him in his chair, clamp on the terminals, drop the "electric yarmulke", and then throw what we call in German - "The Svitch" !

Twisted Tails and theSHE124 like this.
  14. snichols1973

Announcer: Coming soon to a discount theater near you, it's "The Dismal Muffet Adventure", featuring Merkit the Forg, Fonzie Bear, and the not-so-great Gozzo as three indistinguishable identical triplet brother reporters!

15. HuggaMahna

HuggaMahna New Member

My brother called Sweetums "Jack" the other day. I replied: "Jack not name. Jack JOB!"

He also kept calling Animal "Monster".

theSHE124 likes this.
  16. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

"Hey, why isn't Cookie Monster in the new Muppet Show?"

"I don't like that new guy voicing Kermit."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  17. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

This is off topic, but I thought it would give a good laugh.

"The current voices for the Muppets are TERRIBLE! I can do a better imitation of Kermit than Steve Whitmire, and all the various characters just sound off. (The Swedish Chef sounds like he's grunting after gargling whiskey, like if Zakk Wylde is playing him , and who ever the **** is playing professor honeydew isn't even trying"

This is from a user on IMDB about the new muppet show.

18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

And that's why the show's going to be cancelled. They have to please idiots like this.

19. backpackmina

backpackmina Active Member

I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does, but who started the "fun fact" that Ellis Flyte played Big-Fat-Ugly-Bug-Face-Baby-Eating O'Brien when it's really Jessica Hamilton? I guess people think that because of "O'Brien"?

20. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Here's a new one: Deadly being called "Dudley."