1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Underrated Movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BobThePizzaBoy, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

This is really getting off topic... but for the record there WAS some buzzing that they would consider a sequel to The Incredibles if they can find a script worthy enough. They have planned and are making Cars 2 (I'm iffy on the script problems and plot they chose, but I'm probably gonna see it anyway) and Monsters Inc 2... which I just wonder what it's gonna be about myself.

And Ellen wants a Finding Nemo 2. :insatiable:
  2. SillyRed

SillyRed Member

Once Upon A Forest was definitely an underrated movie. It was cute, I enjoyed it, It was also bad there wasn't much merchandise.
  3. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

Omg, the name just gave me a nostalgia attack. I remember when they reran that movie on Disney Channel a lot but I never actually watched it. X3
  4. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

That movie had some pretty mess-up nightmare fuel.

As for underrated movies, Marty and In the Heat of the Night
    In this day and age, you can find endless rants from people complaining about what movies didn't deserve their Best Picture award. Sadly there are plenty of overlooked entries, particularly these two. Both showcase excellent performances from Ernest Borgnine and Sidney Poitier, respectfully, and beautifully simple story lines that accomplished a lot more than can be said for most dramas.
  5. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth yet, with this being a Muppet Forum and all.

The critics (and public) saw The Dark Crystal, pretty much gasped as one, said "This...this is Jim Henson's movie? Where's Kermit? Where's Piggy?" (Points to a Skeksis on the screen) "That's not Big Bird! Boooo! We hate this movie! Boooo!"

With Labyrinth, it was sort of the same deal, but there was another fantasy film that came out the same time (I forget the title) and it overshadowed Labyrinth.

There's that story Frank Oz told about the critics watching "The Dark Crystal" at a screening. "The critics watched the movie. When it was over, they walked out of the theater without saying a word to either Jim or me." Man, that's cold.

UHF got the same bashing, but at least Weird Al's fans spoke up and now it's finally on DVD.

Why are underrated movies underrated? Sometimes it's because they're different and new. Same with TV shows that are underrated. I think Philip J. Fry said it best about clever and unexpected material in TV:

That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared. You see? TV audiences don't want anything original. They wanna see the same thing they've seen a thousand times before.

Convincing John
  6. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

The Rocketeer is another of my favorite underrated movies. The fact that the director of this is also diecting the upcoming Captain America movie is pretty awesome.
  7. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

Please remember that opinions are just that-- opinions. Don't attack someone because they disagree with you. Discussion is great, attacks and name calling are not. If you can't keep your comments respectful, keep them to yourself.

Some people love Disney. Some people hate Disney. Most aren't so black and white about it. It's okay to be pessimistic about where the Muppets are going-- a positive attitude is great, but everyone doesn't have to share it. If we all had the same views there would be no point to a discussion forum. Respect, people, respect.
  8. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

Yes, I agree. Amazing music and a great story.

I used to love this film as a kid, but now I just can't seem to remember it at all. I planned to watch it when I noticed it on a movie channel's schedule, but I must have forgotten or something.

I remember seeing Teacher's Pet in the theaters when it came out, but I still don't remember it. Of course, I never watched the TV show. Recess, on the other hand was, until a few weeks ago, my favorite currently running Disney Channel show. (At least Phineas and Ferb is still running strong)

I've been meaning to go watch it sometime this summer (along with a bunch of other stuff on the bookshelf full of movies) but I never had the time, and there's only one VHS player in the house to my knowledge.

Although I used to be obsessed with Spirit as a kid. (Yeah, I was one of those little girls who loved ponies...)
    Note to self: Look this up.

They recently confirmed that there will be a sequel for The Incredibles. Still not a fan of superheroes, though. :p

Also, Mirrormask, anyone? :scary:

9. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Just thought of a few others.

Fantastic Mr. Fox, the other fantastic (wocka-wocka!) animated film that came out over the holidays. If The Princess and the Frog had it bad, Fantastic Mr. Fox had it worse. I've never read the Roald Dahl book but this movie is hilarious. Why the public didn't gobble this movie up is beyond me. Perhaps it was the more adult edge or "***"-ness of the trailers but the fact that people outside animation geeks and Wes Anderson devotes flat-out ignored this movie. The fact that I already started using cuss in place of profanities when I have conversations and use Mr. Fox's trademark whistle-click combo on a frequent basis shows how much I enjoyed this movie.

Matinee. A movie so underrated that I've never seen the whole movie. I only saw it at my former dentist's office because he had a copy of it there. Joe Dante's passion of sci-fi cinema and 50's culture shines through here as it usually does and makes the film a delight. And you can't wrong with John Goodman playing a Alfred Hitchcock parody character. Probably one of Dante's very best films.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action. OK, this one is a pretty lame movie with a lot of great moments. I feel horrible for Joe Dante and the pain he went through due to WB butting in too much with what was essentially Joe's dream project. The stuff Joe was able to keep in without studio pressure (Area 52, the Louvre chase sequence, the product placement spoof) is all great. If it weren't for the lameness of everything else, I'd cut this movie a little more slack.
  10. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

Matinee is a fun film; the current DVD release is bare bones, although Dante apparently had a lot of material he wanted to include as extras, including the full-length Mant film-within-a-film.

Goodman's character is actually based on William Castle, the "poor man's Hitchcock," who made a string of low-budget horrors in the late 1950s and mid 1960s, mostly with gimmicks attached. For The Tingler, theater seats were wired, and at a certain point in the film, the audience was given a mild electric shock; for 13 Ghosts, you got a pair of special glasses which would enable you to see the ghosts throughout the movie; at Mr. Sardonicus, the audience "voted" on the fate of the title character, although Castle only shot one ending. Several of his other films employed similar stunts.
  11. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

As a moderator, I have to say:

Mupp and D'Snowth--If we have problems again like that there will be a suspension.
  12. Son of Enik

Son of Enik Member

I must agree with UHF and A Bug's Life, two movies I really like a lot. One that comes to my mind is Night Shift staring Henry Winkler, Shelley Long and a then not so well-known actor named Michael Keaton. The movie is funny and yet has some great acting form all of the leads at the same time, plus features my favorite character actor ever, Vincent Schiavelli and also introduced us to a 10 year old Shannen Doherty as a girl scout who clocks Winkler with a box of cookies. (and is then joined by numerous others) Comedy classic!
  13. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I really wish they kept more of his scenes on the DVD. The alternate opening was absolutely amazing, and it really slammed the fact they were having so much trouble getting the Batman franchise back up and running. I think a lot of what was left was enjoyable, but they could have at LEAST let the director do what he was doing. And they wonder why it flopped and they had to turn the Looney Tunes into Jackie Chan Adventures. :eek: But it still deserved better than flopping against that eye sore Cat in the Hat movie.
  14. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

How could I forget about Bamboozled?

Spike Lee's critically maulded but underappreciated satircal film. Combining extreme comedy elements with bitter truth, Lee put together a fantastic and thoughtful film on the representation of African-Americans in the media. I'm not even black but this is a movie that is chilling to watch but is a laugh riot because of how absent-minded and thoughtless the main characters are. I won't give much away, but it is quite the movie, check it out whenever you get the chance.
  15. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

A Bug's Life - i LOVED that movie as a kid and i still do.

The Goonies - maybe not as underrated as i am thinking, but i still love that movie
  16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

2004's Punisher movie wasn't perfect, but it was a good interpretation of the character with a strong lead actor.

Rover Dangerfield is also a well animated little gem that is often overlooked. I'm not sure what audience it was shooting for, but I enjoyed it.

Nobody's Fool is one of Paul Newman's overlooked films of the 90's. It's a smaller picture, but the cast includes Jessica Tandy and Bruce Willis.

Speaking of Bruce Willis...I admit to loving Hudson Hawk as a guilty pleasure. The film was always supposed to be camp, but had too much money pumped into it to pass for anything less than a blockbuster thus it became a flop. A film like that stands a much better chance these days.
  17. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

im with you on this one..i saw it one morning on comedy central and just thought it was one of the best movies id ever seen
  18. Gelfling Girl

Not really sure how "underrated" the movie is either, but I love the movie also. (Along with a bunch of other stuff from the eighties.)
  19. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i love stuff from the 1960s all the through the 1980s. movies, music, clothing, just everything. it all seemed so much cooler than what we have now. maybe it's just me
  20. Gelfling Girl

Ditto.

Also, I just thought of two more. In science class back in 6th grade, we would watch several older movies, including these two: The Gnome Mobile and The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. I could be wrong, but I think they're both Disney movies; I'm quite certain, though, that the two kids in The Gnome Mobile are the same actors from Mary Poppins.