1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Underrated Movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BobThePizzaBoy, Jul 29, 2010.

1. APRena

APRena New Member

I loved A Bug's Life, still do, wholeheartedly.

And since we're mostly talking about kids' movies, Drop Dead Fred is awesome in my opinion (remake in development. . .*sigh*). The ending still makes me cry.
  2. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

Just remembered two other ones that I believe I may have mentioned earlier. Suzie Q and Under Wraps. They're both early Disney Channel Original Movies that they rarely (in Under Wraps' case) or never (Suzie Q) air anymore.

I've only seen Suzie Q once on an old video cassette, but it was just before a 50's sock hop we had in school which got me obsessed with that decade. Under Wraps was my favorite movie Disney Channel would air around Halloween, mostly because of my ancient Egypt obsession since...Well, a long time ago.

Sure, they may be a bit outdated by today's standards or whatever reason they rarely show their older movies (except really late at night on Friday night/Saturday morning and Saturday Night/Sunday morning), but I loved both of these films.
  3. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Wha? Suzie Q as in "popular-for-5-seconds-in-88" Suzie Q? From that episode of Full House where DJ and Kimmy Gibbler skip school to get her autograph? Woah, that's the first time I've ever heard of her outside of that.
  4. Gelfling Girl

Well, I haven't seen that episode yet, but according to Wikipedia, the movie came out in the mid-nineties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susie_Q_(film)
  5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

All of the Ernest Movies
  6. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i LOVE Ernest scared stupid
  7. APRena

APRena New Member

Speaking of the old DCOMS (if that's what they're calling them now), I loved Smart House.
  8. dwayne1115

Ahh that is one of his best! A halloween classic
  9. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Active Member

Yes, that was one of their best. Brink! was good, too (the one about the inline skating enthusiasts and their rivals who skated for money rather than for the fun of it).

Others:

The Rescuers Down Under- the Disney movie that everyone seems to forget about. True, it was a sequel to what can hardly be described as one of their most memorable films, but this movie was awesome. I remember being a little girl and watching this with my older brother every summer in the top floor of our grandma's house.

Cars- I don't get why everyone seems to consider this Pixar's worst movie (to me, that dubious honor goes to A Bug's Life, but I talked about that in another thread). It really was an impressive piece. The animation was great, the characters were fun and memorable, and the story was fun.

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead- I actually just got through watching that about ten minutes ago. Granted, I've recently discovered that this movie is gaining a cult following, but it still doesn't get nearly as much credit as it deserves.
  10. Gelfling Girl

Wild Hearts Can't be Broken. I think I saw it when I was younger, and I just noticed it on a film channel's schedule for tonight. I don't really remember much of it though.
  11. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

me too! it was my favorite when i was little!

old DCOMs are a million times better than newer ones.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You know... if it wasn't for that movie, Chip and Dale wouldn't have been the Rescue Rangers. Though, i'm starting to think that was an internet rumor... or at least the first draft of the series.

I see what you're getting at. it's not so much underrated (the aisles of toys to this day still being produced prove it) as much as under appreciated by an adult Fanbase. I have to say, it was a pleasant surprise considering I went into the film not expecting much. Pixar has never made a bad film, and Cars and Bugs Life are no where near bad or even less than decent. They've had a continuous string of gems since their first one. Very rare to see that in a film production company. But there is a few things about Cars I didn't like... the fact that all the characters were stereotypes was a turn off.

As for Bugs Life... well, I blame Dreamworks rushing Antz out for that one. I have to say, I unfortunately think the plot of Antz was a bit better, having a conspiracy theory within the ant community. But I still think Bugs' Life was a great film too.
  13. BobThePizzaBoy

Quest for Camelot - Yes, this movie is pretty bad but I think people are just slightly too hard on it. Warner's first real attempt at an animated features which tries to combine the best of both worlds (the 1990's Disney musical and Warner Brothers' own trademark Looney Tunes comedy) and there are a lot of flaws but the animation is great to look at, the music isn't half-bad and I seem to be the only person in the world who likes that two-headed dragon.
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

he was the only thing REALLY enjoyable in the movie. I didn't see it until several months ago when it was on TV, but even with the commercials and previews and Kid's WB shoving it violently down our throats, I really liked the Dragon. Got the dragon bean bag from the WB store too. And I dug the Urkle the chicken axe head thingy too. Wish I got him. But other than that, it really seemed a jaded attempt at being a Disney movie (even referencing Lion King) and trying way too hard to have wacky sidekicks. I felt the movie was thrown together for the most part, and it could have been decent if they tried harder to make a movie that WASN'T like Disney films.

But you ain't the only one that liked Devon and Cornwall, though. Loved their song. Actually, the villain wasn't all that bad either.
  15. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

I'll always prefer the original for it's dark and beautifully strange vibe. That's THE Gremlins movie. It's Gremlins :) But as for Gremlins 2, while I agree that it didn't get as much attention when it was released as Gremins did when it came out, I think most people agree with you these days and prefer 2.

I like Gremlins 2 a lot, and I am glad Dante made it! Yes, it not only made fun of the first film, but it also had all sorts of other "messages" (for lack of a better word) in it, no matter how subtle (the first one had some too).

Though I'd choose the first if I could only have one of them, Gremlins 2 is indeed great! :)
  16. Gelfling Girl

I saw that a while ago. Not too bad.
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

1 and 2 were entirely different films and I kind of liked that. But I prefer the original in tone and direction. Gremlins 2, while good in its own right, I like my horror humor to be a little more subversive than cartoony.
  18. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.....There, I said it.

Adam: I'm a frog.
    Billy: You ooze you lose.
    Kimberly: Tommy get your butt down here!
    Tommy: Lets do it guys. It's moprhin time!
    Aisha: Lead on fly boys.
    Rocky: So....Hungry?

Lord Zedd: Finally someone shut her up.
    Rita Repulsa: Finally, a real man.
    Ivan Ooze: Of all the things that I have missed. The Black Plague, the Spanish Inquisition, the Brady Bunch reunion.....
    Goldar: You think she's cute too, huh?

Skull: You hungry?
    Bulk: Always.
  19. dwayne1115

both the 1975, and the 2003 Walking Tall. Great story!
  20. BobThePizzaBoy

The Producers. And I'm not talking about the original Mel Brooks film that gets a good amount of attention and thankfully not overhyped but rather the 2005 adaptation of the Broadway musical. I haven't seen it since it came out (I just saw it for $5.99 at Rite-Aid and have to remind myself to pick it up one of these days) but I don't understand all the negative press it got. It is, essentially, a filmed version of the musical but were you expecting anything else? If you watch the original Mel Brooks movie, the similarities between the two in cinematography are there to an extent. Matthew Broderick is one of the few actors I can't hate no matter what movie he's in and Nathan Lane is without a doubt one of the best comedians in the business. I don't think this movie would have worked if they had reworked the blocking extensively. Sweeney Todd (another heavily underrated movie musical) worked very well because they took the musical darker than they could have on stage, Little Shop of Horrors (while I don't hate it, it's probably the most overrated musical by people under the age of 25) gets by thanks to the complex animatronic plant that would have impossible on stage and Hairspray is just brings on so many smiles and toe-tapping it's impossible to dislike. The Producers' libretto is so hilarious and the cinematography works well enough that a filmed version of the musical works. And quite honestly, I didn't even notice a "filmed stage play" look to the movie when I saw it.