1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Underrated Movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BobThePizzaBoy, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

real quick about Dark Knight....first i love the film but i feel what gave it more of the Hype was the Passing of Heath Ledger...i "argue" with my friend that once it was known this was his last full film that people who were never going to go see it filled the theatres just the see Heath Ledger
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I know a lot of people believe that the death of Ledger was the main contributing factor of Dark Knight's success, but I'm not that morbid-minded. I looked forward to seeing his remarkable effort long before he passed. Also, this is the closest live action telling of the iconic character in my view. I love Jack Nicholson and his Joker, but that version was akin to a theme park caricature rather than a true embodiment. I admire both films for different reasons. No one can beat the visual style of Burton’s Batman…ever.

Every blockbuster film is overrated by its very nature, but if there’s a recent successful film that’s deserving of such saturated praise it’s The Dark Knight. It’s such a robust cinematic experience. I always feel that most pictures could be leaner and this one is no exception, but there isn’t more than 5 minutes that I’d have cut. That says something seeing how I would have gutted the last Lord of the Rings film. I understand why they included the last 20 minutes, but they were needless to the cinematic experience and best suited for DVD extras.

On another note, I found Nolan’s Inception to be extremely overrated and it’s my least favorite of his otherwise fantastic filmography to date. It was enjoyable, but not noteworthy.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

There are just SOOOOO many ways to interpret a character like the Joker. And I really think TDK managed to make him the more dark sociopathic variety you'd see in more recent comics. For me, my top three Jokers have to be Caesar Romero, Mark Hamil and Heath Ledger. Jack being honorable mention. Honestly, the fact that he's dead had nothing to do with why I liked his Joker... he just played it his own way (or at least Nolan's way) and it was different than what the common movie goer and casual Batfan would come to expect. That said, there was NO call for Tommy Lee Jones's Twoface to be a surrogate Joker in Batman Forever. They basically made him an over the top cartoony Joker-esque partner for the Riddler, instead of making him the dark, angry figure he really is. At least Dark Knight managed to do him justice for the small amount of time he was on the screen.

But on the subject of Batman movies, the most underrated ones were made as big screen versions of TV shows... Batman 1966 (Howlingly funny, almost too good to be camp... "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!") and Batman Mask of the Phantasm (which I never saw... :sympathy: and I REALLY wanted to when it was on the big screen), one of the few times a cartoon that had been on the air had a theatrically released movie.

Really... Japan kicks our butts at that. I'd see even a third rate Saturday Morning cartoon I sort of like on the big screen if I had the chance.

Didn't see that, but it seems he must've borrowed HEAVILY from the Japanese film Paprika, which I finally got the chance to see. One of the wildest films ever, crazy mind screwing stuff. Plus, well... there's a rumor going around that he might have also stole (or at least unwittingly paralleled) an old Scrooge McDuck comic, in which the Beagles steal a machine of Gyro's (also intended for Psychiatric use) to go into Scrooge's dreams and get Scrooge to tell him the combination of his vault safe. There was some stupid link on Yahoo or something, and one thing lead to another, I read the whole thing online. Great read, by the way.

But did Inception even do all that well? I hardly noticed anything really successful this year, as Hollywood fumbled yet again, putting everything out in May and June, leaving July a barren month.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Inception has made $700M worldwide and 280 of that is US box office. I found it entertaining, but forgettable.

Burton's entire introduction of the Joker was incorrect and Nicholson admitted that he let the makeup do most of the performance for him. I suppose that's why it was more surface-oriented. The Joker really isn't supposed to even have one particular origin nor are we ever to know his real name. But if he did have an origin, it was not as the man who killed Bruce's parents.

The superhero film that was over-hyped, underperformed and therefore is now underrated was last year's Watchmen. It wasn't perfect, but it is a beautiful piece of cinema that few audience members could really appreciate.
  5. Frogpuppeteer

im not saying thats why everyone went to see it , but i feel that a small chunk did...i could be wrong...im a huge batman fan so i also was waiting for the movie before Heath Ledger died
  6. Drtooth

I wonder if that was a case of truncation. Like sorta how they changed a bunch of things from the comics, while still using them as a base for the first TMNT movie. They had to keep April's cartoon job as a reporter because, well... if they used her scientist persona, We probably wouldn't have seen her till the second movie, end of the first at the latest. And to do her story, we'd have to have Henson manufacutr hundreds of little Mousers. Plus, for dramatic effect, Raph was the one who got knocked unconcious in the film, but Leo in the comics, leading Don to be Casey Jones's best friend... stuff like that. I half expect comic book movies to just wing it anyway. The Joker became Joe Chill for the sake of the story, seems like.
    I blame comic book guy types for that. "No no no! That wasn't supposed to be an "an" it was supposed to be a "the" in Manhattan's speech!" Really. Batman and Spider-man movies ARE easier to make. So many people have worked on these characters, and there are so many different ways to interpret them. When you take a single graphic novel made by a single person, you pretty much have little or no room for interpretation. Especially since they tried to get things as close to the actual novel as possible, sacrificing a couple things because they fit better with the plot and time constraints.

The film did seem to resonate with casual people, however. They weren't the prejudice comic fan types that wanted to pick out every flaw if they thought not seeing it, or hating it outright did Alan Moore a service. Sure, I never like the idea of a company going over the head of the creator of something (Underdog was a prime example, and they do it with musicians all the time), and I understand other adaptions of his work were meh at best (and Extraordinary at worst, if you get the reference)... but this film was pretty good. And I saw it on a crappy television.

Oh, and Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon buffs.... during a war room scene, Gary Chalk (voice of Grounder among others) is one of the generals. He gets a live action speaking cameo.
  7. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

One movie that came out last year that was really overrated was the new Star Trek movie, or Star Trek 11. I finally saw the film months after it came out and I wasn't that impressed. Perhaps I need to see it again.

I felt the movie was the overhyped, all gung-ho special effects, film with the typical one liners that seem to be in a Michael Bay film. And I am a big Star Trek fan....

Special effects are fine, but I need a story and some well written characters. The latest Star Trek film suffered from what's been going on with a lot of movies as of late, the "dumbing down effect" to appeal to the mass audience (those who could care less about Star Trek to begin with).
  8. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

I thought that was a good one, too. Even though it was just a DTV release that they bumped to theatrical status in some convoluted plot to cash in on the popularity of The Rugrats Movie. (Still prefer Nick's Doug, though)

Back on point:

Dracula: Dead and Loving It - Sure it was no Young Frankenstein, but it was a darn good effort on Mel Brooks' part. The cast was great (Peter MacNicol, in particular, was a wonderfully demented Renfield) and Mel was still in top form, in both directing (making it look like it had a much bigger budget than it actually did) and writing (there are points in this that I laughed harder than I did watching Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs).

I just don't get why more people don't like it. :confused: (However, I've always been the kind of person that liked movies that most people have forgotten. So I guess that I shouldn't be so surprised)
  9. Drtooth

It was a formula I WISH they found sooner. Much MUCH sooner. Releasing these smaller DTV things theatrically during winter vacation got them a small period where the film would do good enough. Imagine if they came to that after Ducktales didn't do as well as they wanted it to do. Why, we would have actually HAD the Rescue Rangers movie. Darkwing Duck surely deserved a theatrical ending to the series. But at least we got Recess and Teacher's Pet (both fine films). I DEMAND a Phineas and Ferb movie, though. A Theatrical one. No DTV stuff.

After years of wanting to see it, I got the chance several years aog... maybe even a decade ago to see it on TV, and while I enjoyed it, I was a little disappointed by it. It tried too hard to recreate the formula of playing it as straight as possible while managing to mock it as well... but it didn't get it quite right. Spaceballs and Men in Tights were 100% joke fests, everything was a joke, there wasn't a somber moment or dull moment in them... and while they were funny, Men in Tights suffered from joke overload (Spaceballs is still my second favorite after Young Frankenstein and just before both versions of The Producers). So basically it needed to have more humor and wackiness in it, but not too much more. It's one of those films that really should have had one more rewrite, but didn't. Still... it was great seeing Naked Gun's Leslie Neilsen AND Mel Brooks make a film together.
  10. ZeppoAndFriends

I liked Recess: School's Out and Teacher's Pet, too (The only opportunity I had to watch Legend of the Lost Lamp, however, was soiled by a power outage :grouchy:(still can't find it on DVD)).

They ARE making a P&F movie, though, unfortunately, the financial failure of other similar movies has ensured that it would only be a typical DCOM affair (not that there's anything typical about Phineas & Ferb), with a DVD release following some time later (if at all). *Still need a Boober sigh smiley*
  11. Drtooth

Sigh... to get the DVD you'd have to have joined the super collector club or something (some dumb Disney movie collection thing) as it was an exclusive. Yet, all the OTHER collector club exclusives DID manage to pop onto general retail.

That is VERY disappointing considering the popularity of the show. it is, and I'm not making this up, the ONLY thing on store shelves that isn't a cartoon based on a movie based off a comic book based off a toy line based off another comic book. And it's insanely popular. I haven't seen Disney aggressively market an animated series since Adventures of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command... and not even this intense. You'd have to go back to Disney Afternoon for that sort of thing.

Though, the Doug thing WAS last moment, and it would really manage to make a little amount of money in a limited release. it WILL be on DVD, since Disney's REALLY good with movie releases of current stuff currently on TV, but it really COULD stand a theatrical push.
  12. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to disagree with this one. I actually just watched this one the other day and while there were some chuckle worthy moments it seems like everybody but Leslie Nielsen got the memo that this movie was supposed to be a comedy. It drags on too long and the comedic moments are too far and inbetween and come so often within the drab moments they are barely funny. Sorry but this is Mel Brook's weakest movie.
  13. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

I actually wanted to watch Pleasantville last week and watch it in it's entirety thanks to whoever uploaded in on youtube and I have to say it was a pretty good movie about change and how the older folks in that fictional town from the 50's didn't want it and couldn't really accept it, especially the mayor.
  14. ZeppoAndFriends

I signed up for that yesterday (hoping that I had enough point codes to get Legend) and discovered that it's only available in a two pack with a DVD that's already in general retail (Donald in Mathmagic Land)! It irks me, but I'm not entirely sure why.

I remember seeing it's Wikipedia article, shortly after it GOT a Wikipedia article, and was so excited that it said there was going to be a theatrical release.

Then, I read that it was supposedly being written/directed by Don Bluth, with an impossible list of guest stars and a Christmas 2010 release date.

I hate web vandals. :boo:

P.S. Maybe if we're lucky, it will get a theatrical push. I mean, it seems like it was being made to release theatrically, right down to the title which make fun of the "big" releases that are all in 3-D.
  15. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I declare this thread resurrected! Mostly because I just thought of another.

The Incredibles. This might just be me, but even though this movie was a big hit, it seems to get lost in the Pixar shuffle nowadays. Granted, all the movies Pixar's made since then [excluding Cars] have exceeded the quality of The Incredibles but it still deserves a lot more praise nowadays than it gets.

The Prince of Egypt, we had to watch this one in 9th grade global studies class. This movie simply proves what a spectacular start DreamWorks was off to. Distinct from Disney's formulas in some ways and some ways not, I find The Prince of Egypt a great film, one of DreamWorks' top 10 in my opinion. Besides, how can you go wrong with a song sung by Steve Martin and Martin Short where they're all "You're playing with the big boys now!" (come to think of it, what happened to those two guys after Rameses screamed at them during the plagues? Did they just like decide to eat pizza in their trailer for the rest of the movie? :p)
  16. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

I know I'm late replying, but I wholeheartedly agree!
  17. Pork

Pork Active Member

I agree, I think that The Prince of Egypt is quite good...considering I'm generally not a DreamWorks fan. The Music in it I did really enjoy. However, one thing that always bugs me is the style of their faces... Their eyes are way too close to the top of their head... and that bothers me! But that may just be me. And... perhaps Rameses sent the Sorcerors to the same place the Baker went :p

Underated Movie... in my opinion... an please don't hate me.
    The Pebble and the Penguin
    I loved this movie when I was younger... and still do. But generally when I talk to anyone else they usually say it was appycray.
  18. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

I can't believe this thread has been around all this time and I finally thought of a film to contribute. Just now I remembered that I liked Elizabethtown and yet critics seemed to hate it. For years I liked almost everything Kirsten Dunst did, though...
  19. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

The Ice Pirates - Seriously, if you love comedy sci-fi movies, you must see this film.
  20. Frogpuppeteer

Suburban Commando