1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Underrated Movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BobThePizzaBoy, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I was FROZEN Today!
  2. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Falling Down! Gosh darn it, this movie is awesome! It's hard to believe that Joel "Batman & Robin" Schumacher can actually make a good film but here it is. Perhaps it's just because this movie is so grounded in reality compared to his Batman movies but seeing Michael Douglas being this complete bad-*** slowly losing his mind is just so freaking awesome, as terrible as it is to say but this movie is just that good. Ultimately, this movie had a somewhat bad release date very early in 1993 and wasn't as big a hit as Warner Brothers made it out to be back then and it seems most people have forgotten about it, but check it out if you are in the mood for an awesome, wide-appealing yet still very complex character drama.
  3. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

Alice, Sweet Alice~I'm a horror junkie and this is kind of guilty pleasure for me. It's got ham and cheese acting, lots of blood, more bad acting, etc.

Gay Purr-ee: Nobody remembers this movie! </3 It used to be on Cartoon Network all the time. Judy Garland+Chuck Jones=SO MUCH WIN.
  4. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

The Country Bears - Not great, but still a lot of fun. I understand why a lot of people don't like it, I just wish more of 'em did.
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  5. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Hook!-A great movie! If you've never seen it, you should. It's about Peter Pan played by Robin Williams leaving Neverland and growing up only to have to return to save his kids from Hook(Dustin Hoffman)
    Speaking of Hoffman Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium's REALLY underrated
    Last but not least the story of a robot that comes to life... no not Walle!
    While entertaining Walle wasn't the first of that genre, the first I know of is 1986's Short Circuit and Short Circuit 2. Very funny movies.
  6. Drtooth

Wall*e was... well, no underrated, not overrated... it was in the middle where it was supposed to be. It did well at the box office, it spawned merchandise, people can remember it by name. It did too well to be considered underrated.

As far as Pixar films go, I'd say Ratatoullie was probably the most underrated of the bunch, only because it was pretty much an artistic film with a LOT of gourmand/food snob references that would fly over kids' heads. Plus, I know 2 people who refuse to see it because of their fear of rats, and something tells me they'd HATE the ending scenes where all the rats are running around the kitchen... the merchandise didn't do too well and you never really hear of it anymore. Also, Bug's Life seems to be in the shadow of their other films... it was successful when it came out, the merchandise did well... but it seems to get the cold shoulder for some reason.
  7. Dominicboo1

No Dr. Tooth, I was not saying Walle is underrated I'm saying Short Circuit is very underrated sorry! I was just metioning Wall-e almost as a joke how everybody thinks of Wall-e when they see a robot that looks like him or Johnny 5. Bug's life and Ratatouille are underrated though.
  8. Drtooth

I don't know if I'd call Short Circuit underrated as much as I'd call it cult. I can't remember how well it did in theaters... it had a sequel, but so didn't stuff like Critters. I do know there was footage of the movie used in Muppet Babies... and I know the 80's TMNT cartoon did a ripoff of the character at some point...
  9. Dominicboo1

Oh, I know it has a sequel, but they're both hardly remembered anymore like Hunchback of Notre Dame has a DTV sequel, but the movie itself is really underrated. The other two movies on my list though have recieved poor reviews and are forgotten by now, though.
  10. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

I believe that the Star Wars prequels have some enormously redeemable qualities. I still enjoy watching them.
  11. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Second.
  12. Drtooth

When George did the Star Wars prequels, he should have taken a cue from what he did with Empire Strikes Back... also known as (and this is an exact quote from I forget where) "The Best movie George Lucas never made." He needed another director. The direction is off and that's part of the reason why the movies seemed off. It's not the acting that's wooden, it's the directing.

But I really think he pulled the film franchise off on the third movie. The second one was slightly close...the first one didn't need that pod race to last that long... it SHOULD have had MORE of Darth Maul.
  13. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

I think both of you will enjoy this. There's a series of articles a guy named Drew McWeeny writes called "Film Nerd 2.0" where he and his 6-and-3-year-old boys watch movies from his youth. He waited a while to get them on Star Wars and now they're five movies in, with just Jedi left. These articles are really special, regardless of how you feel about the prequels. He's also having them watch the movies in a really neat order, which makes sense when you read them. Here's the link to all five so far.
  14. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I agree, I personally loved this movie... in fact, this is definitely on my list of top 10 movies that I love that everybody else hates (yeah, I did a list like that long before Doug Walker did actually, lol).
  15. shinycelebi225

shinycelebi225 Active Member

another underrated disney movie is Treasure Planet
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  16. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

You know, I would also say Rob Zombie's Halloween. I know it gets a lot of hatred from fans of the original, but honestly, I just think everything about it is better. I couldn't stand the original. I ended up turning it off halfway through :/

And I LIKE slasher movies. I generally enjoy watching even those terrible, made for tv, indie slasher movies. I even have a bunch of them on DVD...
  17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Actually, to the best of my memory, here's my top 10 movies I like that everybody else hates (in alphabetical order):

1. The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
    2. Bee Movie
    3. The Cat in the Hat
    4. The Country Bears
    5. Elf
    6. Home Alone 3
    7. Kangaroo Jack
    8. Kermit's Swamp Years (I guess Muppets from Space would have to have an honorable mention)
    9. The Master of Disguise
    10. Super Mario Bros.
  18. Dominicboo1

Who hates Elf?
  19. Drtooth

I don't hate Elf, I just can't get through it. Every time I try to watch it, I just go... GAHHH and shut it off. I actually grown to like Will Ferrel, but I prefer him in movies with a smarter script where he doesn't have to be a goofball all the time. I'd LOVE to see that one where he's the character in a novel.

I really find the DTV Mickey and the Musketeers or whatever it was called underrated. I wish they'd make more Mickey and co DTV's that aren't based on the CGI preschool show.
  20. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

Currently listening to Tough to be a God, I realize how underrated Road to El Dorado is in the mainstream but incredibly popular among internet geeks. Me being one of those geeks.
    shinycelebi225 likes this.