1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Update on It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie Realese

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by King Prawn, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Raccoons...wow. You guys have topped even me in the knowledge of obscure cartoons. :) I had completely forgotten about this one till I saw the picture!

There's a fine line with which shows should be on DVD and which shows shouldn't. It should either be popular in the mainstream (Friends, The Simpsons), to ensure good sales, or have a strong cult following (the recently-cancelled Firefly). Or else, it was once popular in the mainstream and now has a strong cult following (i.e. The Muppet Show). There are certain things that I think might just be too obscure for anyone. I loved the show Nowhere Man, but I'm not expecting Touchstone to put that one out on DVD. I hold out little hope for the Raccoons fans for the same reason.

By the same token, I don't think Will or Grace or Third Rock from the Sun are really necessary right now, because they're popular but not THAT popular, and they aren't really cult shows either. And the episodes are on all the time anyway.

For that matter, I'm surprised that Friends is doing so well on DVD. That show airs all the time, several times a day. What does one need the discs for? The commentary and extra stuff, I suppose, but I wouldn't care to buy it myself. For me, the ideal is if it's well-liked, but not that readily available. The Simpsons is an exception because there are 300+ episodes, and the only way to make sure you get them all is through boxed sets.

Anyway, my point is this: why is Saved by the Bell coming out before other, better shows?? It's neither immensely popular nor does it have a cult following. It's kind of a guilty pleasure at best. I wouldn't mind it if the studios were scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point, but there are so many shows that should have been released on DVD before this (Happy Days comes to mind, as does the original Land of the Lost, as well as many of the items on Manda's list).

Manda and Cantus Rock -- Of course Perfect Strangers was great. "Don't be ridiculous." :D

Frogboy: Yeah, it's strange about the Smurfs, isn't it? Like the Cabbage Patch Kids, the Care Bears, Trivial Pursuit, the Ewoks, and even the Muppet Babies, they didn't make it out of the '80s alive. Yeah, you can say most of the stuff was too cutesy and they were all just fads. But they were so huge for so long that their complete fall into obscurity is amazing. I've always been rather ambivalent either way towards the Ewoks, but when I was growing up, that was all anyone wanted to talk about. Now, people everywhere are Ewok-haters. Where did these people come from?

2. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

LOL! Yeah, I always to that to people, when i talk about they are not sure, then if they see a pic, they are like OH MY GOD i loved that show!

I never forgot about it, i've always been a Raccoons fan.

zack)Rowlf the, we should all bow down to Sarah, Dog.

3. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yeah i will ALWAYS be a Racoons fan - one of the best cartoons out there that doesn't get much recognition yet still does fantastically on the international distribution. There may well be a slim chance of a DVD actually - plenty of distribution companies are starting up in Canada and looking to release Canadian properties cheaply on DVD to the country and Racoons production company has just merged with a larger one so we'll see ...

I know i've gone on about it before but Zack, do you remember 'Galaxy High School' ? It ran for just 13 episodes on CBS saturday mornings i think. That's one of my all time fave cartoons - it was developed by Chris Columbus (Harry Potter) and was one of Nancy Cartwright's voice jobs before the Simpsons. That was such a great idea - there was talk of a live action film not long ago.

Also the other day i picked up some videos of 'Denver The Last Dinosaur' ! :zany:

4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I didn't see much of the show, but I liked how the characters were drawn. Why do stations produce new garbage when they could rerun these gems at a sweet deal? You know, all they'd really have to do is maybe make a new modern animated intro. That's probably not even necessary. There are some cool shows locked up. :(

5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Chirs Columbus Directed Harry potter? No wonder why I got lost watching the movie

DWOAH HO HO HO HO!!!:sleep: :boo:

6. Manda:-D

Manda:-D New Member

...Oh, gosh, I cannot DESCRIBE the extent to which I love that show!!!!! I'm not much of a stay up all night sorta person, (though I used to be), which is why I want it on DVD!!! (And if it EVER comes on DVD, I will do my "Dance of Joy" all the way to the video aisle!!!!!) ....And my "cow" was fake....I mean, it's all stuff I want, but I was being all fanatical a/b it b/c it was fun!!!!
    ....Oh, and, I fortgot one: Where's my Due South DVDS???????

7. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

i know your cow was fake (with germen accent) what do ya take me for now

8. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Heh...

Its kind of funny hearing you guys talk about "obscure" cartoons, being a trader. All of the mentioned shows are common throw-arounds on the circuit. Some others that might bring back some memories for everyone:

David the Gnome
    The Noozles
    The Wuzzles
    Shirt Tales
    Kidd Video
    Captain N: The Game Master
    The Snorks
    He-Man
    She-Ra

...all are pretty common names on in the rings. There are people with complete sets of most of those shows (I myself have a few of those completed).

-Matt

9. Luke

Luke Active Member

Captain N :- The Games Master was pretty good - also how about the Super Mario Bros cartoon where they had live action Mario and Luigi introducing it.

Always used to enjoy He-Man - never a big She-Ra fan although 'Jem' was a girly cartoon and i'd watch that for my dose of cartoon T'n'A. :eek: Although never as good there was MASK and Centurions - oh and i still watch The Addams Family cartoon.

Did you guys ever get either 'Mysterious Cities Of Gold' or 'Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds' ?

They need more of this stuff nowdays ... sigh !

10. Manda:-D

Pirates of the Dark Waaaater.........Talk a/b obscure!

David the Gnome!!! OK, who DIDN'T love David the Gnome!!! I'd LOVE to watch that again!!! And Noozles....I used to tell my friends a/b the Nooles, whrn we talked a/b old cartoons, and they'd all look at me like I was crazy.....

11. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

MASK, Mysterious Cities of Gold, and the Super Mario Brothers Super Show, and Pirates of the Dark Water are all out there in their entirety. Jem is out there too, in mass abundance. I believe some people have it in PAL also, so score for you, ay Luke? ;)

-Matt

12. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

When I say "obscure," I'm talking about the general populace, not hardcore animation fanatics like ourselves. :D

Let me illustrate my point. I just typed in "Bugs Bunny" and "Looney Tunes" in the DVD search engine to see what titles are available. You know what's there? "Space Jam," which came out back when DVD players were first released, and a just-released "Baby Looney Tunes" disc. That's it. Folks, we have a 60-year history of wonderful classic Warner Bros. cartoons that are begging for a prestige presentation.

And here we have people complaining that "Captain N" isn't on DVD. ;)

I remember most of these cartoons, and I might remember David the Gnome, Woozles, Myst. Cities of Gold and 3 Muskehounds if someone showed me a picture of them. For the record, I did have the first episode of "Captain N" on tape at one time, but I think it accidentally got recorded over...aargh!

Anyway, these are all great trips down memory lane, and I'm not saying they should never come out in DVD. There's just so much more that I think needs to get its recognition first.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go play with my GoBots. :)

13. Luke

Luke Active Member

I still have a gobot in my attic actually, that's quite a shameful thing to admit ! LOL

Yeah i don't think things like Captain N deserve the DVD treatment yet (or at all) but as said, just trips down memory lane. However 'Mysterious Cities' would probably do very well on DVD with the current Harry Potter/LOTR crazes.

It's just down to who owns the rights and whether that company generally does much TV show product on DVD. For instance Warners own so much but they only really like to put their current shows out on DVD, not the long gone stuff. Other companies just put the whole back catalogue out there like it's all banged out on a production line. Generally the better shows are owned by the choosier big companies or just remote 'one trick' production companies who have no way to release their stuff, so it can really stink !

14. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

15. Zack the Dog

I have heard you talk about a lot ,but no i have never seen it, When did it air? i was born in 1983, just wondering when it came out.

Yeah i think the Raccoon DVD'S would sell very well! I seeing that i live close to Canada I got to watch the show when it first aird then i know it later came to the Disney channle, so at one time Disney had something to do with the Raccoons.

I feel like the show played on Fox along time ago, but on that web site it doesn't list it so i guess not. I loved Cyril Sneer and Bert Raccoon, i always felt very much like Bert. i was lucky about three years ago during the summer when BCC, or whichever station from Canada i get played the Raccoons, but i was dumb not to tape any of them, It still plays in Canada now i belive, but i only get one station from there.

Oh yeah and i loved Denver the Dinosaur too! And i was always a sucker for many of the video game cartoons, the Super Mario Bros super show, Mario Three, the second Sonic cartoon, and PAC MAN!!!!

Zack)Rowlf the, Scooter like's pie!...just for a week, just for a week folks...Dog.

16. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

STOP! STOP! I get enough of that in real life!!! STOP!

DARGH!

:crazy:

17. Zack the Dog

Okay! Okay! But your the one who was saying stuff about pie, so, alright what do you want me to write there? In the other thread you said you didn't care as long as the bowing down to Sarah was done.
    (in which, Hi Sarah! glad to do bussness with you!)

well anyways what do you want instead scoot?

Zack)Rowlf the, Scooter hate's pie...Just kidding!!!Dog.;)

18. Manda:-D

*I* think your sig should say, "Bill is a sexy Muppet mans", Zack!!!!
    OR perhaps, "ZACK is a sexy Muppet mans"!!!
    :p :zany:

19. Zack the Dog

LOL! yeah but I would never say something like that, so i wouldn't type it either, even if it is true, thanks for that thought though!

Zack)Rowlf the, I...got nuthin now...Dog.

20. Luke

Luke Active Member

Matt,

Any idea in your trading circles where i could get all the Eps of Galaxy High School on DVDR ?