Vote!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Judging from the way Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin have been treated during this election (whether you like them or not), clearly our country is not ready for a woman president. In fact, I'd discourage women from trying right now and it's a dreadful shame.
I think SNL really treated that subject PERFECTLY. The Palin/Clinton thing was pure genius. The "Sexism" (I'm not debating if it existed or not, but when you're dealing with non-white non-Christian Non-Males, everything people do to you or you do to them is held under a microscope). Palin being treated like a beauty queen and Clinton being treated like some sort of evil witch by the same people.

I've always seen it go Male, non-white male, and then Female when it comes to that sort of thing. Was that what happened with being able to Vote? And besides... I don't think we were ready for a female president because the closest candidate we had this election was Hillary Clinton. I don't think it was so much the woman thing, but definately no one really wanted to see the last 4 elections go Bush - Clinton - Bush - Clinton. Somehow I just don't like the idea of close relatives of former presidents running for office myself. Plus people still really hate Bill Clinton for some reason.

I think when it comes to breaking barriers it's best to take things slowly. You really need to lose ground before you gain it. Look at how far Obama as an African American has come, as opposed to Jesse Jackson, who was barely the first AA nominee... I feel that hillary took one for the cause. We'll see a woman president some day... just not now.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
no one really wanted to see the last 4 elections go Bush - Clinton - Bush - Clinton.
Absolutely, this is a country, not a dynasty. :wink:

I feel that hillary took one for the cause. We'll see a woman president some day... just not now.
I didn't want Hillary to win, but I think she was robbed. She sacrificed herself for the male world and it stunk. And Obama made a big mistake not making her VP. He could have gotten her voters and created goodwill. Instead he allowed the more conservative party to beat him to it. Bad move. I wasn't going to vote for him, but I never will after that. (Nor for McCain).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't want Hillary to win, but I think she was robbed. She sacrificed herself for the male world and it stunk. And Obama made a big mistake not making her VP. He could have gotten her voters and created goodwill. Instead he allowed the more conservative party to beat him to it. Bad move. I wasn't going to vote for him, but I never will after that. (Nor for McCain).
But then again, Hillary did some nasty things to him... come to think of it Joe Biden did too. But I think his choice came down to beating John McCain with his Liberal counterpart. And a close friend of McCain's at that.

I think McCain was going to go after women who felt robbed by Hillary's loss, who were so angry, they'd bow down to a party that sucks up to the "barefoot and Pregnant" crowd. And I think the choice of someone who won a beauty contest, and seemed like one of the popular snotty girls in high school wasn't really the feminist way to go. I mean, I give her credit for being the least corrupt politician in Alaska, but it really seems she would be better suited to stay there.

Though, in all honesty, I doubt Hillary Clinton would get much of the vote anyway, even if she was democratic party's runner. Had it been a different woman who was one of the candidates, things could have been different. All I can see with Hillary is every single conservative, even ones ticked at their own party coming out in droves to make sure her, and especially Billyboy, would never be in the house again.

And I could say the same for the McCain VP...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I didn't want a repeat of Clinton with Hillary. And I do think Palin is too inexperienced. But the way the media and general public has treated both of them is abomidable. It feels like we're back in High School where the boys get to take shots at the ambitious girl, while also degrading and humiliating the girl they decide is uncool.

It's the 21st century, and we are still allowing such behavior in our schools, media and government. We shouldn't have a woman president, because no one should be subjected to that level of immaturity and cruelty.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
We shouldn't have a woman president, because no one should be subjected to that level of immaturity and cruelty.
I don't want to should mean, but I disagree. Sometimes you just have to move on and do it anyway. You shouldn't give up just because its going to be hard and you have a lot of criticism and things like that. Otherwise things would never happen or get done. There are people who have lost their lives, got things pelted at them, have gotten beaten down, had insults thrown at them, lost a limb just so we can do what we take for granted today, but they did it anyway. I think it's new and never happens before so it comes with the territory. It's not enough to just say that it's the twenty first century. Plus I'm sure that a female would not have nearly as hard of a time as some one just fifty, forty years again would have had running.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I agree :3! After all, if someone had not taken a chance and gotten dragged off to jail in the first place we would not even be able to vote now, would we? :sympathy:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I didn't want a repeat of Clinton with Hillary. And I do think Palin is too inexperienced. But the way the media and general public has treated both of them is abomidable. It feels like we're back in High School where the boys get to take shots at the ambitious girl, while also degrading and humiliating the girl they decide is uncool.

It's the 21st century, and we are still allowing such behavior in our schools, media and government. We shouldn't have a woman president, because no one should be subjected to that level of immaturity and cruelty.
I think the problem here is that palin is just to easy of a target to be made fun of. If she was this woman who had a lot on her mind, a lot of opinions, who knew what was going on and had a plan of action of her own on some of the agenda that the country is facing, then I think less and less people would question her abilities.

Yes I blame the media for putting Palin in the spot light big time. Take a look at Joe Biden. The media could care less about him because he's saying all the things people want to hear and has experienced in what is going on and what needs to be done. Close the curtains on Biden because the media could care less about him. The media's got Biden's back.

Am I for a woman becoming vice president or even president, you bet. I welcome the other gender to come to the table and tell the men to get out of the way since they've been in control since first day.

I'm also for another race, and I hate the term race, other than white to come to the plate and take a crack at the presidency or the vice presidency of the United States. Up to this point, it's been all white guys, some bad, some okay, some good, some great, and even some misunderstood at what they have accomplished/tried to do as president.

I've already voted. If McCain wins, okay. If Obama win, okay. Who either wins, they have a tough job a head of them and need to tell everyone they expect all of these things to be taken care of within an x amount of time and everyone need to be on board in fixing the problems. It's a team effort.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is mainly a perspective of the campaigns and their coverage. It's not an endorsement or particular condemnation. However, there is criticism about strategy.

I really don't see any candidate being treated unfairly, but Obama has really gotten a free pass. Nobody knows how to criticize such a candidate. I have a feeling they will learn over the next four years. I do like him, but the main person slinging criticism at him was Hillary Clinton.

She proved in her campaign that she could transcend the woman card and appear as snarky as any male candidate. Her abrasively combative nature is one of the big reasons why she lost the nomination (not to mention that her husband's statements didn't help her). I don't think she was robbed. She ran a classic-style aggressive and sometimes needlessly muddy, campaign at a time when the people wanted something different and more hopeful. Obama has the appearance of that. Nobody knows if any of it will come to fruition. I felt she focused more on the other candidate than inspiring the public.

Palin was selected by the McCain campaign to be in the media spotlight so I don't blame them for sticking her on that pedestal and kicking it out from under her. In the event of a McCain victory there would be a grave likelihood of her becoming President and she needed to gain experience in all areas so quickly. I feel the conservatives treat her worse with their hooting about her appearance. Talk radio especially has gotten really gross about that. No matter what Palin will be around for years to come.

Biden has been around for decades (too long IMHO) and actually run for President. There's little not known or reported about him in the media. The same can be said for McCain. The people running his campaign dropped the ball when they didn't take issue with how aloof he has appeared to the countries economic crisis - especially in housing. They still haven't fixed that perception.

I do think there's a qualified woman out there (and a lot more qualified men) for President, but this is what we get with party politics. The very reason better people don't run for office is because of the mud. :embarrassed:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't want to should mean, but I disagree. Sometimes you just have to move on and do it anyway. You shouldn't give up just because its going to be hard and you have a lot of criticism and things like that. Otherwise things would never happen or get done. There are people who have lost their lives, got things pelted at them, have gotten beaten down, had insults thrown at them, lost a limb just so we can do what we take for granted today, but they did it anyway. I think it's new and never happens before so it comes with the territory. It's not enough to just say that it's the twenty first century. Plus I'm sure that a female would not have nearly as hard of a time as some one just fifty, forty years again would have had running.
I agree :3! After all, if someone had not taken a chance and gotten dragged off to jail in the first place we would not even be able to vote now, would we?
You guys are absolutely right, I was mainly blowing off steam, hehe. :smile:

More women should run, if only to make things easier for future generations. Like they say in Mary Poppins "Our daughters' daughters will adore us. And they'll sing in grateful chorus, 'Well done, sister Suffragette!" :smile:

No matter who'll wins, I'll be disapointed and quite nervous, so I just want to get this over with. :stick_out_tongue:

Redsonga

Reaction score
More women should run, if only to make things easier for future generations. Like they say in Mary Poppins "Our daughters' daughters will adore us. And they'll sing in grateful chorus, 'Well done, sister Suffragette!" :smile:

No matter who'll wins, I'll be disapointed and quite nervous, so I just want to get this over with. :stick_out_tongue:
I always loved that line:excited: