Was Jim Henson an actual full fledged hippie?

yiieepyepyep

Reaction score
well anyhow...

Well anyways...I am very curious...even though I know its not my place. Ive googled everything I could to find information on him-the person....there is NOthing. they sure did a good job of protecting his secrecy.....i guess i have to say-good for them....although being the nosy :wink: woman i am...
Id like to know more.

DerekJ

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Sorry Beau, I think I heard they divorced too.
1986, the same year as "Labyrinth" bit the dust--
The combination of which hit him pretty hard, near the end.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Oh come guys, you're disapointed because Jim wasn't Jesus? Jim was as real a man as any, and the fact that a) he was a product of his environment that was able to still develop a medium to appeal to both kids and adults of all generations, b) have the courage to accept that his relationship with his wife was not well enough to continue romantically, but courageous enough to work with it for a strong value system in family and c) maintain a wonderful relationship with his wife makes me respect him even more! If Jim was a minority, diseased, drug addicted, divorced or whatever else society deems inappropriate, it should not change what he did, and that is be wonderful enough to have thousands of people as diverse as you and me celebrate him.

Jim may not have been perfect, but he was more then most men.

christyb

Reaction score
Thank you Vic for saying what I couldn't seem to find the words to say.

yiieepyepyep

Reaction score
hey im not gonna die now

:smile: of course your all right....peoples is peoples right?

im not taking it hard or anything...and im not judging him either...just curious about the details of his life-philosophies, religion(if any)....im interested in is life....can anyone give me more information.

sorry if I disturbed anyone.

RubberDucky

Reaction score
But really...HOW do you know he was a womanizer---I really want to know this. :embarrassed:[/QUOTE]

I can't find the specific article to site, but while researching Jim Henson for a college paper years ago I recall some allusions to him being kind of a lady's man (personally I prefer this term to "womanizer"...womanizer sounds a bit dark to me). Something about bringing younger girlfriends to the set of one of the films maybe.

yiieepyepyep

Reaction score
so Mr. Henson was Pimpin!

thanks rubberducky,I hope it doesnt bother anyone that I used the word pimp and henson together. im only kidding. thanks for the info...its interesting.

DerekJ

Reaction score
Okay:

(ref's whistle, breaks teams apart) :attitude:

At some point, we have to disclaimer that the OP confessed he didn't have a clue what he was talking about and was making up most of it out of his head, and that most of the early-Jim material necessary to making an informed decision--including information that has yet to be posted on this thread--is available in exhaustive yet entertaining detail in Christopher Finch's "Of Muppets and Men".
(Although it only covers the years up to its publishing date of 1981, and doesn't cover most of the Rock-era and post-Rock decline-and-fall years...)

...Like our lil' pal Lefty sez, "Read a book!"

yiieepyepyep

Reaction score
id really really love to read that book

I own "the works" but living here across the world its hard to get books and the library like that....and it is a very expensive book....SOMEDAY it WILL be MINE!! of muppets and men that is :sympathy:

Ryan

Reaction score
yiieepyepyep said:
Im actually really disappointed....That was part of the whole idealism...I guess there is no idealism...and now I understand why they wont put out the "tell all" book--it might shatter the whole illusion.

But really...HOW do you know he was a womanizer---I really want to know this. :embarrassed:
It's a known fact within the company that Jim was a ladies' man. Let's just say I can't say any more than that on the several things I was told about this from different people. Jim also had a few girlfriends when Jane and he seperated, but none of the relationships lasted long.

Let's face it. He was Jim Henson. He could do no wrong. This kind of thing happens in the entertainment business all the time. It's not at all unusual. As Vic said, he was a human. Humans have faults. There's no one on this earth who doesn't have bad qualities.

About the seperation, Jane and Jim had always stayed friends. They seperated because (or so they say) Jim was always working, and they never really spent time together.