Was Jim Henson an actual full fledged hippie?

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
"The Works" is a great book.
Undeniably the best birthday present I got this year.
Well, no, not undeniably... mother nature gave me an awesome present. The HUGEST double rainbow right in my backyard, I took a dozen or so pictures while singing "the rainbow connection".... ah, yes, such an awesome birthday... ok, I'll stop reminiscing and say something usefulish.
um.... ok I don't really have anything usefulish to say. so I will comment that I used the very "piece about Joan Ganz Cooney being worried about the strange looking hippie in the back of the room" which yiieepyepyep is refering to as an introduction to a speech I gave about Jim Henson for English class, and that it is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. ok, I'll stop rambling now.

yiieepyepyep

Reaction score
HI again, Together again!

Hi! I would have emailed you myself but i dont know how to do it here on this forum...please email me ...I like to chat.

thats so cool that we thought of the same connection between the piece in "the works" and jim henson the hippie!!!!!
:excited:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
well to think he was a hippie is probably not all that bad but to suggest he was into drugs, and has no baisis for it is pretty fooish as far as i'm concernedthat's what i think is wrong.
And to think it's wrong is perfectly fine, I even respect that you disagree with me and many others, but disrespect me and ask "What the **** is wrong with me" and you take a personal jab at me and you become a jerk.

Frogster

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
And to think it's wrong is perfectly fine, I even respect that you disagree with me and many others, but disrespect me and ask "What the **** is wrong with me" and you take a personal jab at me and you become a jerk.
Luke (in James Lipton voice): Oh, yes! What a delight!

unclematt

Reaction score
Everybody needs to calm down and get back to the subject at hand. Mike let people say what they want to say. It is an open forum.

Beauregard

Reaction score
*enter a rather bedraggled butler*

Muffin, anyone?

*exit bedraggled butler*

So, getting back on topic. The questian was "Was Jim henson a full-fledged hippie." To answer that questian, we ask. "What IS a full-fledged hippie?"

Wikipedia! said:
Hippie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Hippies (singular hippie or sometimes hippy) were members of the 1960s counterculture movement who adopted a communal or nomadic lifestyle, renounced corporate nationalism and the Vietnam War, embraced aspects of Buddhism, Hinduism, and/or Native American religious culture, and were otherwise at odds with traditional middle class Western values. They saw paternalistic government, corporate industry, and traditional social mores as part of a unified establishment that had no authentic legitimacy.
Answer...not exactly folks...

yiieepyepyep

Reaction score
true....

True...would you say he was stuck in the 60's-as far as fashion and with all the idealistic peace themes?

by the way...no one..strangely enough commented on what I wrote about being a woman and wanting to be womanized by henson...maybe thats a good thing.....

im so odd!

Xerus

Reaction score
When I saw Jim on TV one time, he was wearing this funky headband with Kermit on it. And I thought he was a hippie back then. Then I found out it was just one of those microphone headbands.

Also, in the early Sesame Street episodes, did you notice that a lot of the anything Muppets were dressed like hippies? Like in the foward and backward skit, all those hippies trampling over that poor kid.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Ok i think i can clear some of this up. All we have to do is put Two and Two together. To answer the qustion "Was Jim Henson a full blown "hippy" I can say with a 100% ceartnty that in some ways he was and other ways he wasnt. You have to think one Of his close frineds was John Denver who was really into peace and taking care of the earth giving back to it (Some who probly say "Treehugger") and in that way i would say he was a hippy becaues that is what i think they where really all about. But a lot of Hippys where Drug users and i just dont think a busy person with so much riding on his carrer of the muppets and SS, that i really dont think he would be involed with drugs.

As for him and Jane being Sperated, Carol Spinny (Voice of Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch From 1969 to today) Says in his Book that they where seperated and jim would Try and date other ladies but never could really go through it becaues he loved Jane. There was no big argument or anything like that let just would seperatre they always loved each other. Read the Book
Hope this helps.