Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I hope I've never come across as "attacking" what Mr. Edwards was writing/doing. Really, I'm just venting or thinking or theorizing, all that junk :/
It's all cool, everyone feels very emotionally invested, hehe.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Most of us diehards don't mean anything seriously bad when we talk about details, we're only just talking, venting, sometimes joking, but not attacking (at least, not the fans here). No matter what the movie is like, in the end I will still go see it, period :excited:.
Only things that I don't want to see happen in this movie Corey himself said don't worry about it, it ain't going down like that. No Shreky pop culture references and requoting old movies out of context... no Hanna Montana-esque music score... and of course, he's clearly researched the series (something the writers of movies like Inspector Gadget, Underdog, and Dragonball clearly didn't do).

And I know there will be some mild social commentary... I don't see Wembly turning to Doc (or anyone) and saying "So, you silly creatures are fighting and killing other silly creatures because your head silly creature has daddy issues?" or "Everything you're doing is going to destroy the planet. Stop Doin' stuff and live on a Hippy commune."

Only thing I'm worried about is that it will blend into the 80's nostalgia movie cash sensation that other, poorly scripted movies are going to go up against. I have more concern about the Smurfs movie than the Fraggle film. I can't wait to see everyone call the Smurfs movie pointless 1980's nostalgia, considering they existed for decades before the US got wind of them... they had at least 2 or 3 theatrical films in Europe before HB made the series (one was dubbed in English for the US, and it flopped due to having no resemblance to the US cartoon).

But on the subject of Smurfs... go to Target... got to TRU... new Smurf Merchandise made specifically for the US market is in retail stores (I'm more interested in Schliech's PVC figures, something they have never stopped making), clearly to co-incide with hyping up the movie. I would really love to see the Fraggles get that sort of treatment to hype up their film. or at least a Wembly T-shirt.

Redsonga

Reaction score
And I know there will be some mild social commentary...
FR was/is basically a series about the social interconnectedness of nature and everything in it, with the fraggles being outside observers to the human culture on top of it:smile:. A movie with the same characters but none of that would kind of be like a hollow shell :\. So of course it will be there :big_grin:.

Foodie

Reaction score
I know I'll be shunned by the Muppet Community for this ( and I'll bare the scars bravely ... even if they're merely of the emotional sort ), but I'd really prefer that they leave the celebrities out of the fraggle movie. They'd just be needless distractions.... unless the plot is about the fraggles appearing on Hollywood Squares! Then bring on DOM DELUISE and... umm... JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE and... ummm... that guy who wears the shirt... um... OH Yeah! WALTER CRONKITE! And let's not forget everyone's favorite, the AFLAC Duck! :excited:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ If they HAVE to have them, I think it would be better for them to be in it, but not really acknowledged as a celebrity (like Steve Martin, etc. in the Muppet Movie). In other words, there's no fame catering, these people are just playing fitting roles without the "Hey, it's Britney Spears!" or something.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
^ If they HAVE to have them, I think it would be better for them to be in it, but not really acknowledged as a celebrity (like Steve Martin, etc. in the Muppet Movie). In other words, there's no fame catering, these people are just playing fitting roles without the "Hey, it's Britney Spears!" or something.
Exactly, celebrities should be humble in their cameos, not showcased like they're a bigger deal than the stars.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't think a FR movie needs celebrities when you get down to it, since unlike the muppets they wouldn't really have ties to those sort of humans anyway :smile:. When humans interacted with fraggles it seems like the series went out of its way to make those humans very..everyday (to sort of reinforce the idea of seeing us, as a whole, as silly creatures). So the movie doing the same would make sense....

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think a FR movie needs celebrities when you get down to it, since unlike the muppets they wouldn't really have ties to those sort of humans anyway :smile:.
Of course it wouldn't be necissary. Look at TMS and SS... they pride themselves on what Celebs they have in each episode. When someone appears on SS, it's big news. FR never had a celeb guest, because it wasn't trying to be the same sort of show that SS or TMS is. It's like the difference between The Simpsons (a semi-realistic world where pop culture is spoofed daily and celebs have random cameos every so often) vs, let's say Talespin (a series that's purely fantasy, but has some roots in reality, albeit in the form of an alternate 1930's or 40's).

Corey said there will be only one scene with a 2 celeb cameo... I don't think it would be anything allong the likes of the second Scooby Doo movie, which became horribly dated due to an almost contractual obligation cameo by last year's American idol winner. That scene ruined the whole movie for me... and it was much, much better done than the first one.

Foodie

Reaction score
Exactly, celebrities should be humble in their cameos, not showcased like they're a bigger deal than the stars.
They should cast us instead! There's your blockbuster! :smirk: