Well This is a New One...

Wiseman

Reaction score
This is not a superstition, it's a fact

It's bad luck to leave your cat's water out and then take your baby out of the high chair. Why? Well, he just might SPILL IT!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Surely Haralde, you meant that superstitions are just entertaining to you, and to most other people in this culture at this time, right? Remember that superstitions had to start somewhere, and they did serve a deeper social purpose at one time.
No, I've never heard that particular one, and we also leave our tree up 'til the 6th out of tradition.
I agree, many superstitions did serve a purpose in history and build up to important things today. But as for today, for the most part, I think superstitions fly in the face of reason and also of faith. That's just my opinion. But everyone else is entitled. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I used to have a friend who's mother wouldn't take down the tree until Valentine's Day, but I think there were other things at play. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what I find funny? Why is walking under a ladder considered a "superstition"? Isn't it common sense that it is dangerous to do so, especially if it is unstable, and someone is climbing it? I mean, large, unstable heavy object is pretty much a red flag anyway.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know what I find funny? Why is walking under a ladder considered a "superstition"? Isn't it common sense that it is dangerous to do so, especially if it is unstable, and someone is climbing it? I mean, large, unstable heavy object is pretty much a red flag anyway.
Lol, good point! Well I guess the superstition means that even more horrible things will happen to you, in addition to getting clobbered by an unstable heavy object! Hehe

For that matter, isn't breaking a glass mirror pretty unsafe itself, as well?

I just don't appreciate superstitions because they often lead to bad behavior. There was a black cat in my neighborhood that got tortured during Halloween because some kids decided to exploit the old superstition that a black cat was bad luck.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lol, good point! Well I guess the superstition means that even more horrible things will happen to you, in addition to getting clobbered by an unstable heavy object! Hehe

For that matter, isn't breaking a glass mirror pretty unsafe itself, as well?
Breaking glass period is unsafe. Hah.

But yeah, saying that about walking under a ladder is like saying that about looking both ways to cross the street. There's a difference between being superstitious, and being safe. besides, as Brain from Arthur pointed out, it's easier to walk around the ladder anyway.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm reminded of the song "Bad News" from Fraggle Rock where Boober describes his various superstitions and Gobo jumps in to keep it all in perspective. :wink:

Boober: "If you step upon a crack, you'll break your mother's back.
If a bee flies 'round your head, you'll spend the week in bed.
Everyday in every way, the Universe will make you pay.
Everyday the curse gets worse they say.
It's gonna be bad news, bad news all day."

Gobo: "If you walk into a truck, it means your eyes are shut.
If you swim where sharks are thick, it means your off your stick.
If you meet a tiger in the zoo and try to teach him coochy-coo,
And ask him kindly not to chew on you,
Then it's gonna be bad news, bad news it's true."

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Superstitions are just little stories to discourage you from doing unsafe things (ie walking under a ladder, waiting half an hour after eating before swimming) but if they serve no true purpose than I don't think it means anything at all.

p.s. Hahaha, you are so Canada obsessed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
p.s. Hahaha, you are so Canada obsessed.
Oh I am not... and just for that, I WON'T tell you about how when I was in the Map Store today, I stopped in the flag corner for a few minutes to see if they had any Canadian flags.