What Disney Needs to do....

Beauregard

Reaction score
We've had a lot of "Disney Blame game" stuff lately, and whether you believe they are helping (which they aren't) or they aren't, we can agree that us fans are getting the shaft. So here's my highly improbable list of things they SHOULD do with the Muppets...
That's a good idea. I think it's a positive way to bring out the things we want. Otherwise they get lost in a whole bunch of pro-con arguments...

• They should find a sutable TV vehicle for them and put it on one of the many networks they own. No "mini-movies!" An actual half hour show in which they actually star with a guest star playing second. like the old shows.

• Now, personally, this is something I cannot see happening for many many years. Firstly, There are no shows quite like that, with which to compare the demographic. Secondly, the demand isn't there, dispite what we say. Thirdly, we may need mini-movies to reintroduce them. And, heck, if we are getting mini-movies, yay! I'd love to see short complete stories about the Muppets on TV.

[*]Relaunch Muppet Babies. no more Baby Pooh. no More Baby Princesses. You own the ORIGINAL. Even if they do not release it on DVD, at least put them on various Baby porducts to bring back their popularity.
    YES! If the Bratz can release Bratz Babyz, then Disney can produce CGI Muppet Babies. And people would buy them. Because half the new generation only knows the Muppets as Babies anyway.

[*]Make a 3-4 disk CD box of music featured on The Muppet Show. Even if it's just a rerelease of the old LP's with a few bonus tracks. They shut down a certain site, fine. But give us a purchaseable alternative.
    Again, YES! Really, does it cost that much to produce? Not compared with many other things. Heck, we fans could put together something for free...

[*]Make a deal with some companies to make better merchandise. The T-shirts are good, the replicas are awesome. But we need something that really gets the fan base excited. You know, like What Palisades did with the AF line.
    Also, get this merch into shops. Yes, there's a lot in the Disney store. But I haven't seen Muppet Merch, for sale, since I was about five.

[*]Make a movie that doesn't star some flavor of the month pop star. make sure it gets plenty of rewrites so it doesn't seem rushed through.
    I'm thinking, VMC meets MTI and everyone would be happy.

[*]Release the final 3 seasons, then release MT. Then find a way to release what's left.
    This could take a while, but at least announce it guys.

[*] And above all.... they need to realise they don't need to just cater to a 12 year old girl demographic. That way they'll see there is a prominant Muppet fan base that cares about their passion.
    I don't know how they came to think that the Muppet audience was the younger age. This happend pre-Disney though, and has just continued on into there.

But...Mwoo wasn't aimed at 12-year-olds...neither was VMC, nor MFS. Don't forget that.

Now...The Muppets just appeared on one of the highest-ranking tv series of prime-time television, America's Got Talent. Piggy was on the Late, Late show, and Rizzo and Pepe appeared in tutus on the MDA Telethon. You can't tell me that Disney isn't doing anything.
While they clearly won't do this (unless someone's willing to start up a letter writing campaign), this seems to be what isn't happening, but should be.[/QUOTE]

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now, personally, this is something I cannot see happening for many many years. Firstly, There are no shows quite like that, with which to compare the demographic. Secondly, the demand isn't there, dispite what we say. Thirdly, we may need mini-movies to reintroduce them. And, heck, if we are getting mini-movies, yay! I'd love to see short complete stories about the Muppets on TV.
Well, that's the sad thing. but if the demand isn't there, they can't just hype something up? A lot of things I've seen on TV there is no call for, but they hype it up and people want to watch it.

YES! If the Bratz can release Bratz Babyz, then Disney can produce CGI Muppet Babies. And people would buy them. Because half the new generation only knows the Muppets as Babies anyway.
Well.... I'm on the fence about a new show completely. There are truely wonderful kid's shows, like Arthur and Cureous George that actually can apeal to parents that should monitor the TV viewings of little kids. But then there's loud obnoxious garbage like Super Why and the like, where they dumb things down as far as possible and pretend the medium of TV is "interactive."

So a new MB series could go either way. Plus, by just featuring them on products for a bit, it will bring interrest back to the characters, and maybe we could see some DVD's.

Again, YES! Really, does it cost that much to produce? Not compared with many other things. Heck, we fans could put together something for free...
Other than music rights, there's nothing that should stand in their way. As long as we don't get dated horrible pop stars of today cover the songs in a crummy way that no one will be happy with, It'll be great.

I don't know how they came to think that the Muppet audience was the younger age. This happend pre-Disney though, and has just continued on into there.

But...Mwoo wasn't aimed at 12-year-olds...neither was VMC, nor MFS. Don't forget that.
That I do blame on society. Along with animation, people seem to think it's a way to keep those little brats happy for a half hour, and not a true art form. Then they sit back and watch truely juvenile crud like Judge fill in the blank and some reality show where people do dispicable things that not even poorly behaved 3 year olds are capable of.

However, my complaint is that Disney (well.... not only them, but Warners and Viacom, to be fair) gives priority towards 12 year old girls, due to the fact they like to spend a lot of money. A while back people were actually complaining that not enough 12 year old girls were watching TV, and that they were an untapped market. Now look at the Frankenstine tearing through town.

However, I will say, the decision to make Ashanti (I forget her name) the star of MOZ was definately a trick to get 12 year old girls to watch. VMC was geared towards older audiences and kids, but MFS was soley geared to kids (I think Sony could have had a hand in it), especially since they rewrote brilliant stuff Jerry came up with.

Now...The Muppets just appeared on one of the highest-ranking tv series of prime-time television, America's Got Talent. Piggy was on the Late, Late show, and Rizzo and Pepe appeared in tutus on the MDA Telethon. You can't tell me that Disney isn't doing anything.
I will say that I'm not completely right with that. I'm happy we have some TV appearances here and there. But while I really shouldn't say they're doing nothing, they're just not doing anything epic to stirr up public interrest. I mean the season sets sold pretty good. You think someone would take the hint.

Maybe they should hire whoever does the DVD's to run the Muppet Holding whatever. He seems to care. I mean, the reason season 2 was delayed was the rights issues with S1. It shows that they can do something good when they have to.

My anger is that they aren't doing anything big. They can. They just choose not to because they don't think it will make a fortune right away.

Remember boys and girls.... In the Entertainment Business, there's more emphisis on "Business" than "entertainment."

beaker

Reaction score
Disney is schizophrenic, lets face it.

As Frogboy said, the Muppets were a mere pawn in a political wrangling entanglement.

Disney could quietly announce their retiring the Muppets cept for a few commercials a year and a box set and Muppet fans would be all "yipppeee! Thank you lord Mouse! Were so grateful to you"

forget that.

We've seen no evidence Disney plans to fulfil any of their promises, or deliver.

I wish JHC could buy em back and have a much better arrangement who TRULY cares about them do something wondeful with em.

What about Sony? They release all the Sesame Stuff. Disney just aint working out.

And as the Muppets continue to slip into forever obscurity, pointing out the obvious will get you called "being negative".
I don't want to see the Muppets put into obscurity, I want to see them rise to glory once again...but AS themselves, not a Disnified shell of themselves.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just think it will take a long time for the Muppets to find the right person/company that works for them. In my opinion, it wasn't working before Disney. And as someone said before, Disney is missing opportunities.

People do forget that Disney was pretty much gone after Walt died, and throughout the '70s and '80s. Various factors happened to come together in the early '90s that resurrected their empire. I think that's how these things happen. They can't be predicted. That's why these things are classic. But I don't think it's too far fetched to imagine the Muppets will eventually get back their moment. It may be with Disney, or maybe not. Have to wait and see (and keep showing your friends and children your DVDs! Lol).

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
:3 I have to agree.

I just got an idea now that you said that Heralde...I love yah.

X3

LOL!

*Has a plan*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney is schizophrenic, lets face it.

As Frogboy said, the Muppets were a mere pawn in a political wrangling entanglement.

Disney could quietly announce their retiring the Muppets cept for a few commercials a year and a box set and Muppet fans would be all "yipppeee! Thank you lord Mouse! Were so grateful to you"

forget that.

We've seen no evidence Disney plans to fulfil any of their promises, or deliver.

I wish JHC could buy em back and have a much better arrangement who TRULY cares about them do something wondeful with em.

What about Sony? They release all the Sesame Stuff. Disney just aint working out.

And as the Muppets continue to slip into forever obscurity, pointing out the obvious will get you called "being negative".
I don't want to see the Muppets put into obscurity, I want to see them rise to glory once again...but AS themselves, not a Disnified shell of themselves.
Exactly what I'm saying. They need to try to do this stuff. it's not that they're refusing to give us fans what we want to be mean, but rather they don't care.

Disney purchased the Muppets because the mortality of their company without Pixar was creeping in. Their last few animated movies made no sense ('specially the cow one) and little money. Pixar was their only chance at profit (before that you need to be High to watch the School Musical). Now that they own Pixar, there's no reason to try.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
We've had a lot of "Disney Blame game" stuff lately, and whether you believe they are helping (which they aren't) or they aren't, we can agree that us fans are getting the shaft. So here's my highly improbable list of things they SHOULD do with the Muppets...

• Relaunch Muppet Babies. no more Baby Pooh. no More Baby Princesses. You own the ORIGINAL. Even if they do not release it on DVD, at least put them on various Baby porducts to bring back their popularity.
While they clearly won't do this (unless someone's willing to start up a letter writing campaign), this seems to be what isn't happening, but should be.
Right ON, my brotha from a different motha!

BJ

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Disney purchased the Muppets because the mortality of their company without Pixar was creeping in. Their last few animated movies made no sense ('specially the cow one) and little money. Pixar was their only chance at profit (before that you need to be High to watch the School Musical). Now that they own Pixar, there's no reason to try.
Um... Barnyard isn't a Pixar film, it was a Nickelodeon film. :rolleyes:

Disney purchasing Pixar was the best for both companies. John Lasseter is bringing back 2D animation, there's gonna be new shorts, a new 2D movie, things are looking up for Disney animation. That's the kind of person we need running the MHC. Or, heck, why not bring Eisner back to run it, it seemed to be the only thing he was running right!