1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What Happened to The Muppet Puppets etc?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Muppetsdownunder, May 10, 2003.

1. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Oh good! I only saw one Bay of Pigs skit so I was wondering is he ever showed up on that or on the new pigs in space. Though that was 1996, doesn't seem that long. Hopefully Stramngepork is still in good shape and will see some action and maybe a rebuild.

About MF, I wasn't there so I went by what it said on MC. I guess only the good news was reported, or I didn't read it all. :D

2. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Guys,

Dr. Strangepork was in Muppets From Space, The stuff they have made him from now will probably be good for 20 years i expect !

There are still lots of Fraggles alive and well today.

The Puppets last longer than what you think.

Mildred was made some years before The Muppet Show, she is still with us.

when a puppets interior deteriorates, It isnt the end.
    The head can still be filled.

see ya

3. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

He was in MFS? Where? I assume in the back some where, but i didn't notice him. Then again I didn't notice Link in MTI either.

4. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Link banged the gong. After Miss Piggy smacked Kermit into the gong, Kermit stands up and turns TO LINK, and says "Ugh! Old girlfriend." To which Miss Piggy replies, "Put 'em back on their stakes!"

5. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Yes, I always thought it was a NN(Nearly Naked) version of Linky.

6. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Wiggy,

In the boarding house at the beginning, I think he is wearing Green and white striped Pyjamas.

And then in the end when there is a big crow, Him and Strangepork can be seen in the crowd.

see ya

7. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Thanks. Now I'll pop in my DVD and search for them in those scenes. I hope it was a new puppet.

8. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

This is going back a few posts, but I believe BlueFrackle is right about at least some of the Fraggles still being around. I know people who did "try-outs" a few years ago in New York and they used old background Fraggles. The story I got was that they were either in rough shape, or they weren't that well put together in the first place (possibly because they were background puppets).

Gobo and Red (maybe it was Mokey) were on display until about a year ago at the CBC Museum in Toronto (CBC co-produced Fraggle Rock with HBO & Henson here in Toronto). They looked to be in almost new condition, but they were probably restored puppets or (more likely) duplicates made specifically for Henson's live exhibit division (I think they do that sort of thing for exhibits more than they like to admit).

9. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yeah there were background Fraggles used as cameos in 'Moppatops Shop' here in the UK too.

10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, at MFest at the very last minute they had a thing where they picked folks to be on stage and perform with some anything/background Muppets. They reperformed the opening theme of TMS.

Phil and a few others got to go up there and use the Muppets.

I remember seeing a few that looked like Fraggles now. Maybe they can better tell us (or look in the MFest photos under the articles link). It'll be toward the end of it all.

11. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

You are soo lucky to have gone to muppetfest, it sounds like a dream come true, if I had a couple of wishes, I'd wish to see all the muppets and performers and stuff.

I wish I could have gone to muppetfest, being in Australia its hard though.

:) :p

12. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Yeah; Kynan from TP came up for it, and it was fun to meet him in person. It's an expensive trip to make for many; ultimately it cost me nearly $1000 I think.

13. ToastCrumbs

ToastCrumbs New Member

THE LIFE OF A MUPPET

:) I find it so interesting that all you Muppet fans want to know what happens to all of the puppets. Let me start off by letting you know that for the most part any of the principal characters last between 10-15 years, that's with the exception of Kermit, Piggy ( who get the most use out of any Muppet character) and Statler, and Waldorf. Foam latex goes fast especialy on a show or a movie. Once it tears that's it for that head, so the head is replaced with a new version and the old one gets placed into a box and is sometimes used as a stand in on set or a stunt puppet to save the primo version of the character from getting damaged. Every time a principal gets used they are refurbed and sent back to storage. Certain puppet last longer, with Link and StrangePork who are both carved soft foam heads they tend to last longer becase of a combination of things such as glue and flock used on them, it keep the sunlight away from the foam and saves the life of the foam. One thing a lot of people seem to forget is carved heads need to be replicated as exact as possible, so and old Link would never be tossed in the garbage due to the reason that the chances of the same builder being the one to replace it twenty years later would be kinda slim. Old heads are the best reference for any builder because you have the actual 3D head right there to hold in your hand, even if it's in poor shape it helps like you wouldn't believe. So carved heads last longer for the most part. Scott foam carved heads may even last a little longer than soft foam carved heads and latex is great but it tears quickly so they get replaced several times on a movie. Now patterned heads are a different type of story depending on the measurements of the foam used to pattern out the head or body. The thinner the foam the quicker it goes. They all still seem to last at least 10-15 years regaurdless of being used or not. Many of you are curious about who is still around and who has crumbled, well I'm not going to sit here and name them cause who has that much time...lol. But you can be sure that all of your favorite characters are being well taken care of.

14. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

How about the fraggles? Were they recently rebuilt, or are they still around or what?

15. Luke

Luke Active Member

16. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Cool, thanks. Nice to know it's just the insides that are gone and that they can easily be redone. I'd like to see the Fraggles do a movie of some kind since most of the original performers are still around, though Junior will be hard to replace without Richard. They deserve at least one movie adventure filmed digitally. I wouldn't want to see Fraggle Rock continue as a series though. As people have said before, the show ended in the most perfect way.

17. Mr.Penguin

Mr.Penguin Member

Bruno and the gang are dead?! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    Well while we're on the subject... dose anyone have any
    sort of inside Henson connection?..... I think I'd like to by
    any not used Muppets before they break down.( Like
    Boppity, Purple Frackle, Gobo, Boober, Sesame monsters,
    an old Scooter, TMS penguins; Gaffer, any exsisting Frackles
    and Fraggles etc.) Please let me know! I'd espacially like
    a Frackle (cool and generic enough that no one 'll ever know).
    I really need some help! .... unless they're only bidding and
    Boppity's in use......

18. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Well, even with Henson connections, there is little-to-no chance of ever buying those puppets. I've written about it, and, they have stated that they DO NOT sell their Muppet characters... You could write them and see, but, don't be too dissapointed if they tell you no.

Sorry, pal...

19. Mr.Penguin

Mr.Penguin Member

CRUD.
    I don't think they want to hear from me... I've written
    before. But then again, I asked for reproductions of in-action
    Muppets..... Like Pepe and Elmo.... I'm gonna rome....To see
    if Henson.com has any way to contact the co.!

(P.S. Because they didn't have the photos I asked
    for and couldn't send me the puppets they sent me a
    generic promo picture hand signed: "The Muppets".The
    same pic is on Henson.com's enter menu.)

-:zany:

20. Luke

Luke Active Member

Henson don't sell ANY of the Muppet puppets they've used whatsoever. You could probably commision the Creature Shop to make your own original design character but it'd cost loads. The only people who own real 'Muppets' besides the Henson Company are people who have either worked for Henson on productions or longtime friends of the company and been given them as gifts.