What Happened to The Muppet Puppets etc?

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Why the Creature Shop, and how much?!
I have plenty designs but only Muppets.

Luke

Reaction score
The Creature Shop is the division of Henson that builds and creates puppets. They do make stuff for independant TV/Film companies but i'm not sure if an individual could have them make something. Basically you probably wouldn't be able to afford it even if they did - it isn't as simple as buying that puppet from them. I would bet my shirt that they wouldn't bother making anything unless they were selling you the character rights, broadcasting rights etc as well which they'd own if they built something. Probably looking at many tens of thousands. They made the ITV Digital 'Monkey' puppet in the UK and made the puppets for the group Supergrass's pop video 'Pumping on Your Stereo'.

If you want a 'Muppet Like' puppet made then Terry Angus (Butchcat here at MC) makes and sells great ones. He might even custom make something to your designs - you'd have to ask him. I know that he's said many times though that he won't make replicas of Henson Muppet characters.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Henson don't sell ANY of the Muppet puppets they've used whatsoever. You could probably commision the Creature Shop to make your own original design character but it'd cost loads. The only people who own real 'Muppets' besides the Henson Company are people who have either worked for Henson on productions or longtime friends of the company and been given them as gifts.
Just putting on my LONG TIME FRIENDS T Shirt!!!

That is sad, because I have always wanted to buy one of the chickens, or maybe a penguin. :cry:

ButchCat

Reaction score
Hi Beauregard.

Luke is very much right:

If you want a 'Muppet Like' puppet made then Terry Angus (Butchcat here at MC) makes and sells great ones. He might even custom make something to your designs - you'd have to ask him. I know that he's said many times though that he won't make replicas of Henson Muppet characters.
A penguin is a very easy do as they are pretty Generic and Henson doesn't have any penguin character per say. If you wish me to build a Penguin and you can afford it then I'd be more than happy to build it. The best thing to do is tell me what you want, then I'd do a budget and then we figure out what you can handle.

Take care

Terry Angus

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Thank you. I thought that the Creature Shop only made animatronics... too bad you can't make replicas; I wanted
Boppity... I was planning to make my own. But I don't know
how. I've posted this before and I'm still waiting for vaderdentist's e-mail.

(maybe I can just sneak into Henson's garbage and see
if they threw out any generic characters.)

If you can't make replicas I have some designs...

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
ButchCat! I wanted a puppet made! Just tell me your price
and I'll e-mail you the design. I've really been excited about
my character Frazzle J. Wormgut.
"He's arachniphobic,
clostraphobic etc. He
was scared of his trumpet
score while singing his
song debut. He even
was close to having a
heart attack from seein a
fly. "

-:zany:

ButchCat

Reaction score
Hi there Penguin.

I thought that you didn't want me to make one so I didn't persue it. I'm sorry I read your letter wrong. I think private e-mails about this maybe a good idea. My e-mail is: butchg@hfx.eastlink.ca

The best thing to do is send me your drawing and I'll look at it and see what has to go into him, then i do a budget based on size, matteral and labor.

I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Terry Angus

Oh I almost forgot to say that Frazzle J. Wormgut sounds like an interesting Penguin.

Take care

Terry Angus

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There was a puppet up for auction sometime last year that came from the Muppet workshop actually. It wasn't a Muppet character though, it was someone's original design some of the builders did for a fellow who apparently had a connection to Carrol Spinney. I think it was going for a couple thousand.

Incidently, those Muppets don't come cheap. I've heard the international co-productions are charged as much as $10,000 for a basic "anything" Muppet and the Muppets used for the VEE Entertainment shows cost about the same.

Beauregard

Reaction score
How much would they charge for a Penguin do you think?