What kind of action will get SW's attention?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't think it's the matter of SW getting the shows out there, because shows on PBS (or anywhere for that matter) exist because of sponsorships (the advertising).

At the end of SS you see the naming of sponsors who made that show possible (Carnegie Grants, viewers like you...) and that is where the question would be.

I could see them doing Season Sets onto DVD, or even offering those programs from an earlier time to PBS stations. It could even be something they could run during the evening sitcom hours and probably win some more viewership toward PBS from other networks.

But, again, as it is with retail, it is in what stations want what shows, not a matter of SW putting the show out or not. When the call is made and it's wanted, I'm sure SW would love to let it be seen. They have before.

Keep in mind, too, that this is purely editorial--nobody on the MC staff have any contacts with any of the production companies of the franchises we love, and we do not represent them.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Thanks for straitening that out, Fozzie

Fozzie Bear said:
I don't think it's the matter of SW getting the shows out there, because shows on PBS (or anywhere for that matter) exist because of sponsorships (the advertising).

At the end of SS you see the naming of sponsors who made that show possible (Carnegie Grants, viewers like you...) and that is where the question would be.

I could see them doing Season Sets onto DVD, or even offering those programs from an earlier time to PBS stations. It could even be something they could run during the evening sitcom hours and probably win some more viewership toward PBS from other networks.

But, again, as it is with retail, it is in what stations want what shows, not a matter of SW putting the show out or not. When the call is made and it's wanted, I'm sure SW would love to let it be seen. They have before.

Keep in mind, too, that this is purely editorial--nobody on the MC staff have any contacts with any of the production companies of the franchises we love, and we do not represent them.
Thanks, Fozzie, for your very valued response. So let me make sure of something here: your saying that it's actually the sponsors who determine what gets aired and what doesn't? Very interesting! Up till now I have always been under the impression that, although it is, indeed, the sponsors that hold the fate of a show like SS in their hands, I have still always been led to believe that it was ultimately the company that produces or owns the copyright to the show that makes the final decision on weather it will be aired or not. (In fact, I have actually been told this by the people at PBS, which is what led me to the miss-guided conclusion I had come to before now. Thank you for the correction.) What you have said does help clear up some areas of concern that I have not completely understood before, due to lack of information.

So, basically, if we could get someone to "sponsor" a show of SS re-runs, you think they would actually do it? If so, mabey we just need to find out what hoops to jump through, and in what order, and we might actually be able to get something going here! This is exciting!

And please don't think I was trying to "label" the MC staff as having connections to SW. I totaly understand that this is purely editorial, and was simply asking for some input from people, like you, who obviously know a bit more about the basic way things are run than I do, and your insight is greatly apreciated. What I was refering to when I said "connections to SW" was not in any way refering to the forum, itself, but rather to any of its general members who may have any insight as to how SW "thinks" and sees things. Thanks again for your input.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I want to retract and rephrase something:

SW owns and holds the SS programs.

For a network to show the program, they will need sponsors/advertisers (that's why there's commercials). That pays for the rights to show it, delivery, blah blah blah...

If a PBS station were interested in the show, and SW was willing to distribute it, and there was funds for that show, then it could possibly happen.

But, there has to be support from all angles (network, audience, sponsors, license holder). If not, then it won't.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Well, I want to retract and rephrase something:

SW owns and holds the SS programs.

For a network to show the program, they will need sponsors/advertisers (that's why there's commercials). That pays for the rights to show it, delivery, blah blah blah...

If a PBS station were interested in the show, and SW was willing to distribute it, and there was funds for that show, then it could possibly happen.

But, there has to be support from all angles (network, audience, sponsors, license holder). If not, then it won't.
Now, see, that's where my concern has been all along. With all the requests that SW has received (from alot more people than just me) to concider being willing to show older shows, I don't know of a single time that they have come back with any other answer other than their generic one. Before people are going to be willing to sponsor a show of this nature, SW has got to give their word that they are willing to release the shows in the first place. And with the kind of feedback that they have been giving this subject so far, which has mostly been none at all, I tend to get the feeling that this is not a subject they want to give any kind of answer to, (other than providing excuses that state they legally can't for various reasons that, in the long run, have no proof to back their claim.) If they are not willing to release these repaired episodes to the public again, than I wish they would simply come forth and say so, rather than keeping peoples hopes up by saying things like "prepare to be surprised!" at the start of a new season. Does that make sense?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yeah, it makes sense to me.

I don't know. I think you might be better equipped to supply SW a list of names and interest possibly if you use one of those online petition things that you can send them a link to? Just a thought.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
The trouble with a "late night" slot is that nostalgic adults may not be able to share their memories with their own children. Sesame Street from the 70's and 80's is still good for children, even if adults like it too.
Do us hardcore fans really care about whether the shows current target audience sees these old shows or not as long as we can see them? Besides, if it is on late at night, we get a better chance of them being completely uncut, with no censorship. I am not sure what PBS would censor from older episodes if shown during a time slot that kids watch (would PBS edit 10 Indians from Let;s Sing a Song of ten? the "you sissy" line from Everyone Likes Ice Cream? Don Music's head banging? Rosevelt Franklin or Lefty The Salesman?)

Maybe if it is too much to ask for late-night reruns, maybe PBS could show reruns in prime time. As I mentioned earlier, there could be a limited number of episodes rerun for a certain amount of time, then PBS could replace these episodes with other episodes in a rerun cycle every few months.

Sesame Workshop recently confirmed in an E-mail to somebody here that they are considering releasing some classic Sesame Street DVD releases, though it wasn;t clear on if they would be boxed sets, season sets (most likely not), DVDs of just classic segments without any linking footage, releases of episode plots but not inserts, or something else. I would be a little dissapointed if Sesame Workshop was just referring to new DVDs similar to all previous Sesame Street videos/ DVDs, with new linking footage and inserts, since those have already been made and wouldn't be very different from older releases.

There is a show on PBS called The Red Green Show, and there have been a few times that I watched it and after the show PBS showed some kinds of bumpers called Red Green Shorts, which is basically a small number of segments from past episodes. Maybe PBS could do soemthing like this. Maybe show three segments in a row, maybe in prime time and show some really dated stuff (or they could show the really dated segments really late at night).

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
I am either way. I would actually much prefer they put the oldies on DVD by Season if litigimate ( but music licensing puts a kink in the works) or play the old ones on all PBS's. In fact, if they put the DVDs out and while they're making a second DVD, put on the old ones at the same time. That'd be excellant! While you'd wait for the next DVD, you can enjoy some of the 70's and 80's shows and have them air at a family-friendly time.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I've concidered this

Fozzie Bear said:
Yeah, it makes sense to me.

I don't know. I think you might be better equipped to supply SW a list of names and interest possibly if you use one of those online petition things that you can send them a link to? Just a thought.
I have considered doing this, but not to long ago another member here tried to do the same thing, and from what I remember, hardly anyone responded. Thats why I've been hesitant to just try to get a petition going and have been trying to find other possible aproaches to address this issue. But, if it takes starting a petition in order to to be able to honestly say I have tried everything, I'll do it. Is there anyone out there who knows anything about petitions?:confused:

Rosewood

Reaction score
A petition for early SS episodes - please sign

While surfing the web for info on early SS episodes, I found this petition aimed at SW already in the works. It is desperately in need of signatures, and any help would greatly be appreciated. If we really want to get our early ss episodes available on DVD, we need to prove to SW that we mean business!
To sign, please go to the following websight: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/oscar/petition.html
Thanks!:smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
While surfing the web for info on early SS episodes, I found this petition aimed at SW already in the works. It is desperately in need of signatures, and any help would greatly be appreciated. If we really want to get our early ss episodes available on DVD, we need to prove to SW that we mean business!
To sign, please go to the following websight: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/oscar/petition.html
Thanks!:smile:

I'll sign it, but (and I know this isn't your fault, Rose) there are some spelling errors in the opening statement of the petition that need to be fixed if we expect to be taken seriously, considering this is meant to be a professional letter and all. Any way to fix that? It just looks really bad.