1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What sketches scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Jennifer, May 12, 2002.

1. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

The letter sketches set in the jungle where the physical letter was supposed to be, like, Tarzan or something. I don't know what, but it creeped me out when I was little, and so did those other letter sketches with the Jaws-esque music, where the kids are in the pool. :o

ALSO... not from SSt, but the "Hugga Wugga" song from TMS scared me. I didn't see the actual sketch on the show until season one was released on DVD a few years back, but when I was younger I had TMS record with the songs from the first season, and "Hugga Wugga" was on it. It was just such a bizzarre song...
  2. TelephoneRock

TelephoneRock New Member

I have to ask, but why would it scare you to see Muppets performing a song you've heard on a cassette first? Because I was always used to seeing Muppets sing stuff. Just wondering. :)
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I remember as a little kid, one bit that used to kind of scare me a little bit...

It was an animated segment, but it was animated in a strange way... it was like colored sand or powder or something against a black background - it started out as a red and yellow letter B, then scattered into another frame, where the sand/powder formed itself into a buffalo, before returning to the letter B... all the while, this really ominous, creepy music played in the background.

The only other segment like that I remember featured pink and blue colored sand/powder that went from the letter B, to a large B, back to the letter B... that one was a lot more pleasant, mainly because unlike the buffalo one, it had cheerful, sea music playing in the background. So yeah, I liked the boat one, but the buffalo one did creep me out a little.
  4. Miss Anonymous

Miss Anonymous New Member

The "Monster in the Mirror" sketch where Grover is shown outside looking at his cartoonish reflection from the window kinda freaked me out only a little. Especially when the reflection grew large. As well as some other bits with Grover and his reflection in the sketch.

Ironically, a lot of sketches I remember seeing as a kid actually made me laugh rather than scared.
  5. DreeRAWRScooter

DreeRAWRScooter New Member

I was always scared of the larger Muppets. Not so much of Sweetums and the hairy ones, but the Mutations and such. When I was a kid, the Muppets' eyes always freaked me out too. :o
  6. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Along those same lines (larger Muppets) Giant Animal in the Muppet Movie always freaked me out as a kid
  7. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy New Member

My mom would always play me the Frog Prince and I would scream and cry when I saw Sweetums :o
  8. MeepMeepBork

MeepMeepBork Member

I remember being a tad bit scared of Frazzle when I was little. He wasn't absolutely horrifying or anything, but he was a little freaky-looking.
  9. DreeRAWRScooter

And Beaker. I don't know why but Beaker always used to scare me. Maybe because of the way his mouth opened. :eek:
  10. Miss Anonymous

Miss Anonymous New Member

Have any of those Muppet characters appeared in any Classic Sesame Street sketches, or have ever appeared on Sesame Street period? If so, then perhaps this isn't getting tat bit off the topic then.
  11. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I know that Kermit's been in a few Sesame Street sketches.
  12. DreeRAWRScooter

13. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

But again, that one wasn't on Sesame Street....
  14. DreeRAWRScooter

Sorry I guess. XD The sketch from Sesame Street that I remember as creepy was Grover and the Monster in the Mirror. But I just had to post The Windmills in My Mind because it, IMO, is the scariest sketch that I saw and it disturbed me when I was a kid.
  15. When i was little the Monsterpiece Theatre sketches absolutely freaked me out! i had so many nightmares.... heh heh, but i love cookie monster now. his wit in the prarie dawn & cookie sketches these days really makes me giggle :insatiable:
  16. dinoboy

dinoboy Member

How about when a man makes a loaf of bread from scratch, he does it in fast motion and you see the bread dough rise. I remember the music heard in the background was kind of creepy.
  17. groverlover

groverlover New Member

I always ran and hid when James Earl Jones came on to count from 1 to 10. I just watched the clip again on Youtube for the first time since I was a kid, and it still kinda scares me even though I am now 41!
  18. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

That segment seems like it would be kind of scary to a kid. I remember being scared of James Earl Jones when he was on another show I used to watch as a kid.
  19. CountFan1998

CountFan1998 Active Member

Here's one I'm sure SOMEONE'S afraid of: Factory Countdown: The electronic voice mixed with the creepy keyboard music is just creepy Uggh.

And everyone's nightmare: the 1992-1995 end credits with the dancing statue of liberty and kids dancing in the subway. I used to be afraid of it, but just the tambourine and boat whistle at the beginning. Other than that it's a great funky rendition of the theme song I'm sure EVERYONE grew up with. Not me... born in 1998, and I'm proud!

GREAT SCOTT, MARTY! 1.21 GIGAWATTS! -Doc Brown
    Am I weird, or is it you? Maybe it's you...
  20. CountFan1998

CountFan1998 Active Member

I know. Hugga's gravelly voice. Have you actually seen Hugga Wugga himself? I have....EEEEEEKKK!:eek: Never will again...:D

Don't worry. Many people have this Hugga Wugga-phobia. I do. Together we can fight this fear of the giant mauve (Reddish-purple) muppet with absolutely TERRIFYING eyes!

GREAT SCOTT, MARTY! 1.21 GIGWATTS! -Doc Brown
    Am I weird, or is it you? Maybe it's you...